Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Scent of a Mom and Dad's Christmases too

In my pre-retirement days of riding the bus downtown to work and back home five days a week, moving from one crowd of people to another, I’d pick up on a lot of smells, not necessarily bad. 

I bet that man with the paper smokes a pipe.  The young man beside me had bacon for breakfast.

On the way home, it would happen again.  This girl had pizza for lunch.  That man with the ruddy cheeks sure smells like beer!

My beautiful Mom, 1971

And every once in awhile, not very often, a woman would pass by and I’d know right away if she smoked a very light menthol cigarette like Silva Thins (what my mom smoked) or wore Jovan Musk (Mom’s perfume). 

And then every once in a GREAT while, I’d be on Fifth Avenue or entering an elevator or exiting a revolving door, and I’d literally stop in my tracks and feel my heart leap into my throat. 

Ivory soap, Colgate toothpaste.  The faintest whiff of menthol & tobacco.  Jovan Musk.  That’s her, that’s Mom.

I’d always look around to see who it was.  Not that I planned on confronting them to ask what they were wearing or smoking, but if I didn’t see anyone likely to carry this combination of scents, I’d wonder to myself if that was Mom letting me know she was still here, watching over me and my brothers & sisters. 

In another week it will be the 16th anniversary of Mom’s passing; she died December 22, 2004.  Sometimes I wonder how we’ve gotten this far along without her.  Love & miss you, Mom.

I shared all of that, because of something that happened this weekend that made me want to laugh & cry.  Since I’ve recently been baking with Pillsbury’s “Poppin Fresh” dough, on Saturday I tried a can of cinnamon rolls with orange icing.

After I took them out of the oven and iced them, I got my coffee started, then went to the bathroom to wash up before having breakfast. 

As I stood there washing my face, my furnace kicked on and the smells of coffee, rolls, cinammon & oranges wafted thru my ceiling’s vent.

It was just the right combination of aromas that whisked me back to our farmhouse kitchen at Christmas time, when Grandma came and stayed with us, bringing her freshly baked pies and bread.  And like most Christmas Eves our first years there, while Grandma sat at our kitchen table and talked to Mom and us kids (drinking her coffee and smoking her Salems), my dad would come clumping up the basement steps into our kitchen, hefting a sack of oranges. 

Mom always said the same thing:  “Don look how much food we have in here, the last thing we need are all these oranges!”  While Grandma laughed, Mom would say to her “Every Christmas it’s like we’re back in the Great Depression and oranges are a once-a-year thing!”

Dad would say something funny in a Southern drawl like “You don’t want these kids gettin’ scurvy, do ya Mizz Linda?”

We’d all be laughing then, while Dad reminded us his childhood Christmases were a new pair of gloves or wool socks or cap and a big orange, a real holiday treat in those days (when citrus wasn’t a staple in markets year-round; at least not in Pennsylvania).

So in turn, for me at least, it didn’t seem like Christmas until Grandma Morris was in our house, surrounded by goodies and us, and a big bowl of Dad’s oranges smack-dab in the center of things.

All those memories from a warm plate of orange cinnamon rolls!

 

Dad & his mom, Grandma Morris, Christmas morning 1970

                    

25 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I've read that smell plays a big part in our memories. I'll never forget the odors that would sometimes assault me on the NYC subway. But I'll also never forget the smell of certain perfumes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ton, "assault" is a good word for some of the other stuff on public transportation, I can just imagine he NYC subway... well, I guess food always stood out to me :)

      Delete
  2. I can't think of a smell that reminds me of my mom though smells such as fresh turned dirt or freshly mowed grass to remind me of my youth on the farm. For me, smells are more about place than people. Maybe because as farmers, we didn't always smell that good at the end of a long day.

    I do remember mom saying that when she smelled french fries, she was reminded of my biological dad whom worked at a fast food restaurant in the evenings when they dated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed I hear you about farm smells... I miss those. Anyway, that's a sweet memory your mom had of your father, and a very true one--I've ridden the bus with enough McDonald's workers to know that french fries scent :)

      Delete
  3. What nice, pleasant memories, Doug! You made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi I always enjoy your feedback, thank you. :)

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful post! Smells are so evocative and I love your memories of your family. Your mom was beautiful and your dad handsome. The photo with his mother and him is a hoot. She looks like a character. I remember when satsumas were only available at Christmastime. Your dad's name is Don too? (my dad's nickname is Skip though) December is an emotional month for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, you're very kind. I should share more pics of my parents, they were good looking! As for my grandma there... YES she was a hoot! Miss her so much! Anyway you're right... December is a 'filled' month for both of us. And yes, my dad's name was Don too :)

      Delete
  5. Smells can make us smile or tear up. I would like to think of those times when there is no one who fits the smells of your mom that she it letting you know you are never without her.
    I see some of both your parents in you, plus a little Matthew Broaderick:) Seriously, fine looking parents.
    You made my weakness in those rolls with orange icing. I have been known to eat all eight in one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti my friend, you're as dear as you are funny (I had a real chuckle over that Matthew Broderick add-on) :) Really, thank you for your kind words and also, I hear you about those rolls! You almost have to eat 'em, because after a day or so they're hard clumps! If you lived closer I'd be baking them more often :)

      Delete
  6. I love cinnamon rolls, but with coffee frosting. My mum also died in 2004, but on June 4th, the same day my youngest grand daughter was born. N was born just after midnight and mum passed away just after 9am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, what an emotional day that must've been... I can't imagine what you must've been feeling that day.

      Delete
  7. You reminded me of how much I miss strong smells like that. I took a prescription drug for years that robbed me of my sense of smell. It did come back a little, things don't smell the same as they did, but still some odors come through. My mother wore a certain scent that I can still smell in my memories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan I was very sorry to read that..I'm sure that affected your sense of taste too. I'm glad you got some of that back, at least... And I'm glad you have your mother's scent in your memories, that's sweet. I can remember my maternal grandmother's perfume, haven't smelled it in many years but it was lilacs.

      Delete
  8. I suppose some sons remember the scent of their mother owing to whether she breast fed or not. I guess its something I'll never know but my brother Marco who was a sickly baby got the "nose" for scents, aromas and smells. Merry Christmas ApacheDug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spacer, I wasn't breastfed either but you always make me smile! Merry Christmas, my Trekker friend :)

      Delete
  9. The scent that brings me back to my younger days is the smell of cigar smoke and friend chicken. It reminds me of Sundays at home when I was little... and makes me feel loved and secure. Not many people like the smell of cigar smoke, but it's a good scent to me. Dad never smoked cigarettes, just either a cigar or a pipe. Enjoy your memories, Dug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! that's fried chicken, not friend chicken...

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing, Rian... that is awesome what makes us think of our loved ones, isn't it? If I don't talk to you again I hope you & your loved ones have a Merry Christmas :)

      Delete
  10. When I was young in Ohio we didn't have much fresh fruit in the winter either -- stores couldn't readily stock it inexpensively since the means for shipping from the climates where it grew were costly, not like recent years. For us to have a fresh orange, usually shipped in from Florida, or even an apple though those were grown in Ohio and could be cared for to last a longer period of time after various harvest times but not any in the dead of winter. Usually, applesauce, apple butter, sliced apples had been canned earlier in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly have a sensitive sense of smell and recollection after all these years. I meant to add, the earliest memory I have is one of smell when I was about 3 years old my mother said years later when I described what I recalled. The smell coupled with a few limited visual memories, Mom said, occurred when we attended a family member's showing in their home as they did in those days instead of going to a funeral home.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Joared, very interesting about your own younger memories and I appreciate what you shared here about fresh fruit long ago--my dad told us much the same what you did... and even with things better when I was a kid, we still had a basement of canned foods from summer :)

      Delete
  11. A beautiful memory jogging post. My dear mom passed away decades ago but the scent of her perennial flowers (in the same garden I now tend) faithfully regenerates her essence. Your mom and dad live on in your genes and that of your siblings. That thought of DNA immortality gives me comfort. And I'm also very glad our noses pass on these exquisite memories. Thanks for sharing those, Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence, this was so nice! I just read it again & again... thank you!

      Delete
  12. They are called this because the greatest of perfumers are equipped with a keen and delicate sense of smell and an above average skill set in smell composition. The perfumer should be viewed as a skilled artist whose canvas is the elegant bottles of parfum we covet. Parfum pas cher

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.