Saturday, December 5, 2020

The Great Trash Room Rebellion of 2020: meanwhile, where do I fit in?

On November 23, this was hanging inside my building’s elevator:

Dear Tiffany Residents.

As of Monday November 30, 2020 all residents will be responsible for taking their own garbage to the dumpster.  The garbage rooms will no longer be accessible.  We have a new dumpster installed that has a sliding door on the side to make this an easier task.  Please be sure that ALL garbage is taken to the dumpster.  There should be no garbage left anywhere in the building.

When I moved here almost 4 years ago, the agent proudly showed me where each floor had it’s own laundry room (very nice) and it’s own trash room.  I said it sounded great, but wondered if living steps from a room filled with garbage was a good idea.

The agent (reading my mind) assured me the trash rooms were emptied twice daily, and their floors scrubbed once a week.  True to his word, our trash room has always been spotless (except on Sundays, the maids day off so to speak).

Anyway, right on schedule it happened.  Early in the morning of Nov 30 I heard rustling sounds in the hallway, followed by the WHIZZ WHIZZ of a drill.  When things got quiet again, I opened my door and ventured out into the hall. 

There was a strong smell of cleanser in the air, but nothing looked out of the ordinary.  I walked further down the hall and jiggled the trash room’s new doorknob—locked!  Goodbye Trash Room!

The trash room on my floor, right around the corner from the elevator

Janet (an older woman who lives directly across from it) opened her door and asked if they were done.  I said I guess so.  She asked me if I read the notes on the door, I said yes we had some angry tenants on our floor.  She said “Some?  And you’re not one of them?”  I said no, should I be? 

Janet said “Did you sign Theresa’s petition on the first floor?”  I said I was not aware of any petition.  She said “Okay… maybe Theresa doesn’t think you’re one of us”  and quietly shut her door. 

Huh?  Who’s “us”?

A few days later, I went downstairs to collect my mail and ran into Emily, the young Asian woman who lives on the first floor (I wrote about her before, here).  I asked Em if she knew Theresa and her petition.

Emily said “I know all about it, these seniors want Steiner to reopen the trash rooms and we want them to stay closed.” 

I asked, who is “we”?  Em said “I dunno… the half of the building under 50, I guess.”   I asked why she wanted them to stay locked.  She said “Douglas… they’re breeding places for stuff like Covid-19.  How do you think that got started?”

I said  “Maybe you’re right, but some of these tenants don’t get around so easy, like Sue with her walker or Mean Betty and her cane… and y’know, that floor in the parking garage is always wet!  How else are they supposed to get to the dumpster?”

Emily rolled her eyes and said “We’re living in pandemic times, c’mon.  You’re not going to sign Theresa’s petition, are you?”

I told her no one asked me, Janet made it sound pretty exclusive.  Emily asked if I knew Mike, the runner on the second floor.  I said sure, the young skinny guy, I see him all the time. She said “He’s pretty good explaining why those rooms need to remain locked, have you listened to his side of this?”

I said “No, because he’s never said a word to me.”  Emily said it was probably because he saw me as one of the older tenants who are being stubborn.  I said “Geez, I’m getting snubbed by the Over 65s and your side doesn’t care what I think either!” 

Emily said “Aw, poor Douglas feels all alone ‘cuz he’s in-between!”

Well, I guess I’ll be sitting this skirmish out.  But between you & me, my money’s on Theresa.  These young’uns don’t stand a chance!


21 comments:

  1. When my infirmed grandparents lived nearby, I stopped by nearly everyday to check on them and to drop off their trash in the trash room on my way out. It was always very tidy and clean.

    The one thing I learned from that situation they lived in for two years, wasn't about trash rooms but that there is always a war between residents about something going on. My grandparents were always railing against the guy who waited outside the lunchroom so he could be first in and would always take all the watermelon from the salad bar. Another lady was forever leaving the basement garage door open causing their floor to be colder than it should. Management took away the houses residents put out for stray cats in the winter and that riled them up. There was always a war going on. After mom died they moved away to live closer to my uncle. I am not reveling in the saying that ignorance is bliss, especially when it comes to their communal living situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Ed, like I said I've been here 4 years and until now everyone has always gotten along--now we have 2 camps, under 60 and over 60. I'm on the fence, but I see the older gang's point better than I do the younger crowd.

      Delete
  2. Covid 19 needs people to travel, not garbage. I'm not really sure why the young 'uns are so dead set against the trash room. I would worry more about attracting ants, and mice. Or cockroaches. But you said that it was kept spotlessly clean so that wasn't an issue. They could have required people to wear masks inside the trash room instead of getting rid of it. I can see that it would be a difficult task for the older folks of limited mobility to access the dumpster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Margaret, I don't think management has thought these things through--half of our building are older residents. Also, I just RETURNED from the outside dumpster and it's not looking good! They're going to need to dump it more than twice a week with 100 apartments going in it!

      Delete
  3. Well trash room also attract roaches. But the convenience for elders can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi I don't know about the other floors, but I've never seen a single bug in my floor's trash room... but I know you're right! Oh well, at least this forces some of us to get some outside air!

      Delete
  4. Gosh Doug, I am sorry you don't really belong but I am glad you are leaning towards the older folks. I was surprised that management so easily caved to the younger vote but can see it probably saves them money in not having to maintain the trash rooms. The Covid excuse sure seemed a weak one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, as always--PERFECTLY SAID! That is exactly what I told a few of these people, management caved because it's saving them daily money and these younger tenants covid concerns sounded legitimate! And yes, I am learning towards the older crowd, I'd hate to see someone take a fall near that dumpster! Thanks Patti :)

      Delete
  5. Ha! Reminds me of the Burl Ives song, 'Mr. In-Between'. I hope management defers to the petition with the most signatures -- whichever one that will be. 'The Great Trash Rebellion Of 2020'. I'm looking forward to hearing the outcome, Mr. I. B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Florence! I will keep you (well, whoever reads my silly blog) posted! Darn it, I need to find this Theresa...

      Delete
  6. OK, I'm over 60 and I like the idea of the trash room. I don't see how it can cause COVID. That's not how COVID started anyway. Sheesh! You'd think an under 60 would be better informed. I'm looking forward to seeing how this all plays out. I hope you'll tell us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay! Well, I think it's just as Patti said--I think one of these younger tenants complained and management saw a way to save real money. I plan on calling and giving my two cents Monday morning. I will definitely share any updates.

      Delete
  7. If the original trash rooms have bins with lids to hold the trash, I don't see a problem. I think the real problem behind the change is management not wanting to visit so many rooms on so many floors to collect trash. So much easier for them to have it all in one dumpster. It does make things difficult for those who can't get around as easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River you summed it up very well. The rooms DID have bins and we (the tenants) made sure they were kept neat. But too many rooms, twice a day at that. There is some real savings here, but we do have close to 40 older tenants so I don't think they took that into account (which surprises me). And these (older) people are angry.

      Delete
  8. Well, if you're not taking sides, then neither am I. But one thing's for sure: you can never go wrong with Judy Garland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--thanks Tom! The more this has gone on (with me getting snubbed from both sides) it really made me think of dear Judy :) Anyway--I think I am taking sides Tom, for the older folk here. We have some folks who just can't make it down there on their own. I have a feeling some of us are going to be becoming volunteer garbagemen if we dont want to see trash pile up inside!

      Delete
  9. When the weather is terrible, older people will not take their trash out to the dumpster, meaning that even more trash will accumulate. We have one big trash container far away from our apartments, and I notice that some people just leave their trash in front of their door, sometimes for ages. Until the weather gets better. I vote for the rooms to remain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DJan, I know you live in an apt complex like myself, so I was wondering what you thought, and how your complex handles this. I very much think what you said here is bound to happen--you're right, this was terrible timing. I wasn't too upset about it at the start, but I'm getting there.

      Delete
  10. What a fix you are in with the trash war. At least the combatants are not weaponized with other than paper, pen and words. Good luck! This virus has wrought all sorts of changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, thanks Joared! Well, I added my voice to the chorus requesting the trash rooms back--I have a feeling my words fell on deaf ears, maybe I should take a tumble outside or something...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.