Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Oh look, it’s my celebrity soul brother; doesn’t everybody have one?

Way back in the summer of 1983, my friend Brenda called me one day and asked if I’d go to the movies with her that night.  There was something she wanted me to see.

(Brenda & I were around the same age, and worked together at our local Murphy’s Mart.)

Brenda explained that her & Mike (her boyfriend, who would become her husband in 3 years) had gone to see the movie Wargames the night before, and during the picture Mike said “Doesn’t this guy remind you of Doug Morris?” and Brenda said yes, she was thinking the same thing.

They were talking about Matthew Broderick, who was relatively unknown at the time.

So we went that night, and while I enjoyed the picture, told Brenda I didn’t see it… we didn’t even look alike.  She said “You’re just like him!”

Anyway—sometime later, I was at work having lunch in the Employee Lounge, when Karen Willis (a high school teacher & part-time employee) approached my table and said “Doug, you put me so much in mind of a young actor Tom & I saw the other night.  Have you seen Wargames?”

My friend Sandy laughed and told her I’d heard the same from Brenda.  Mrs. Willis said “Maybe he’s your celebrity soul brother!”   When I asked what that was, she said “The more you learn about him, the more you’ll have in common with him.”

Hmm… I’d heard of soulmates, but soul-siblings?  it sounded like something out of a tabloid or teen magazine.  Mrs. Willis was a little goofy sometimes, but then so was I.  And as time went by, I began seeing a connection… maybe she was right!

1. More than one person says you remind them of him/her.  Done & done!

2. Same age, give or take.  I turned 59 in October, Matthew turns 59 in March.

3. Share similar physical characteristics.  Well, we’re the same height, 5’8”.  We both had brown hair before it turned gray.  We’re both nearsighted, have the same stocky build and like it or not, this recent picture of Matthew on the beach is pretty much how I look in my own trunks. 

4. Share a crazy family connection. 

For this, I’ll need my fellow boomer & friend Kim’s help.  “Kim, what was our favorite tv show in the 1970s?”

“The Mary Tyler Moore Show.”

“Okay, what was our SECOND favorite tv show?”

“Oh—Family.”

“And WHO was our favorite character on the show?  And don’t say Kristy Mcnichol.”

“Sada Thompson, who played the mom.”

“Right!  And who was she married to on the show?”

“James Broderick, Matthew Broderick’s real life father.”

“RIGHT!  And what was James character’s name on the show?”

“I can’t remember, Doug.”

“IT WAS DOUG, KIM.  HIS CHARACTERS NAME WAS DOUG.”

5.  One degree of separation.   I shared this story on a Youtube video of Sarah Jessica Parker several months ago, I can’t prove it but it’s true.  Back in the spring of 1993, I was working in downtown Pittsburgh as a software developer for Allegheny County.  We were required to wear dress clothes then, and one day I tore the sole off my dress shoe.

My co-worker Sue said there was a shoe repair shop in the alley behind the William Penn Hotel, so at lunchtime I hoofed it down there.  When I got to the alley, I saw a young woman, very petite, wearing a ski jacket and standing in a doorway smoking a cigarette.  I asked her if she knew where the shoe repair shop was, she said she was new in town and didn’t, sorry.  As I turned to go, I said “Waitaminute… aren’t you Sarah Jessica Parker?  The girl from Square Pegs?”

(This was before she became famous with Sex & The City, or married Matthew Broderick.)

She said she was, and was staying at the Penn while filming a movie with Bruce Willis (I would later learn it was Striking Distance).  We chatted a little, I can’t recall what about, but I do remember thinking wow, she’s nice.  She asked if I knew of any good salad or sandwich places nearby, and I excitedly told her about Zorba’s on Sixth & Smithfield.  After saying goodbye, I found the repair shop, got my shoe fixed and went back and told everyone in the office who I met and our conversation. 

My coworker Sue said “Doug you dummy!  Why didn’t you offer to take her to Zorba’s yourself?”   Ugh!!  What the heck’s wrong with me?!


6.  And finally… AMAZING BUT TRUE

I learned recently that Matthew Broderick was a “mostly lefty”—he can write with his right hand, but does everything with his left.  Wow.  As my family knows, I’m a mostly lefty too.  (It’s not a choice.)

Armed with that ‘Amazing but True’ factoid, I decided it was time to share the secret of my celebrity soul brother.  As I began writing this post, my friend Danielle emailed me and asked what I was up to.

I told her I was working on a new blog about my celebrity soul brother.  When she asked what the heck was I talking about, I told her it was someone famous you share some physical characteristics with, and some strange things in common too. 

She asked who mine was, I told her she’d find out along with everyone else after I posted it to my blog.  I told her not to bother guessing, she’d never get it in a hundred years.

Several minutes passed, another email popped up from Danielle.  When I opened it, it said “Matthew Broderick?”   What the—how did she guess that??

Yeah, I know Matthew—it’s amazing but true!


31 comments:

  1. Haha. This is just amazing! People used to say I looked like Audrey Hepburn, because I was so skinny. Now, I don't look like her at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really!! That's awesome, Gigi! Well, Matthew & I have stayed about the same shape thru the years, now we both have that middle-age paunch :)

      Delete
  2. It's all a matter of perspective. I think I look like Tom Cruise. My wife says it's more like Boris Karloff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--Tom you DO put me in mind of someone but I can't put my finger on it--not Boris Karloff though!

      Delete
  3. I've never been confused with a celebrity but I did once stand behind someone in line who was renting a canoe and when they asked his name, he gave my name. He was extremely drunk at the time so I didn't bother saying anything to him but the lady behind the counter had me verify my name with my ID when I gave her the exact same name as the guy before me.

    If someone were to force me to pick a celebrity I most look like, I would probably go with Jim Gaffigan though he is a few years older than I am and I'm sure much much richer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed that's a strange tale about the man in front of you giving your name...that could be a Twilight Zone episode. Well, you can't go wrong with Jim Gaffagan, so good for you! As for me & Matthew, it's not so much resembling as it is other looney stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all these coincidences and I do see a resemblance around the mouth. When I was younger, people thought I looked like Cindy Williams from Laverne and Shirley. I'm happy to say that I've aged better than she has. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coincidences? Margaret I think it's more cosmic than that! Anyway, yes after seeing your wedding photo I can see your younger self & Cindy Williams then. I'll have to check out how she looks now. :)

      Delete
  6. I can see a resemblance and you have quite a few close degrees of separation. I too am wondering why you didn't take Sarah up on her obvious opening for a sandwich date.
    I don't have any look alikes though it would be fun to have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti! Well you know, I don't see it as a lookalike... I think it's just mannerisms and such, along with being the same age & size. As for me telling Sarah Jessica Parker about a good lunch place... I will never forgive myself :(

      Delete
  7. Heeeey.... It's true. I can see the likeness too. How cool is this! Now, everytime I see Matthew I'll think of you. Sooo cute! And you met SJP too! Totally amazing. Their stars must be aligned to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay--what a great comment :) Well, I honestly think my resemblance is from the neck down more than anything, I think my friends were referring to mannerisms and the like... this wasn't to be taken too seriously :)

      Delete
  8. When I was about 12 I was told I looked like Natalie Wood, but didn't see it myself, then much later when I had a mullet style haircut I looked more like David Cassidy, later again, I was told I had a resemblance to Kay Lenz who eventually married David Cassidy. Now I don't look like anyone famous, I'm just the "grandma next door" type.

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. I see your Matthew Broderick resemblance. Perhaps you are from the same ancient gene pool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very funny Doug! I loved your SJP story, that is incredible! Now I must watch “Striking Distance”. I look like no one famous but am a combination of my Mum and Dad. Apparently my sister and I look quite alike and I am told our voices are very much alike. Enjoy the rest of your week.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, thanks very much for your comment! Are you & your sister close in age? I think that's sweet and cool. :)

      Delete
    2. My sister is six years older than me. We have the same hair colour and both wear it long so that helps.
      Enjoy the rest of your week.

      Delete
  11. In my later years, I have had people tell me I look like Judi Dench. We are similar in age and wear our white hair somewhat similarly. She's one of my favorite actresses, and I have a hard time seeing the resemblance. You do look a little like Broderick, Doug. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan I just googled Judi Dench, then looked at your birthday photo again and yes you do share a real resemblance--the hair of course but you two have the same eyes and smile. But you're also both the get-up-and-go types, that adds in too. :)

      Delete
  12. I haven't encountered any one who reminds me of someone else. But, then I wasn't paying attention!

    Basically, any movie with Bruce Willis is one we will watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Susan, everyone reminds me of someone it seems. (Not necessarily a celebrity, though. For instance, your pic reminds me of a woman named Robin I worked with in the '90s.) :)

      Delete
  13. Every time I meet someone I automatically think of someone famous they look like. Not on purpose it just happens.

    I once got called Eminem by a guy on a flight back to the UK. My younger daughter thought it was very amusing. The guy was drunk though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--well Joe, from what I've seen on your blog you DO put me in mind of Eminem--a well dressed Eminem, I mean! Still, drunk or not that's pretty cool :)

      Delete
  14. No one has suggested that I look like anyone, except for some who thought I resembled George Clooney.
    Okay, “some” means one.
    That “one” means me when I looked in the mirror.
    Without my glasses on.
    I’m extremely shortsighted, but still…
    Peter (retired MM)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, you're a funny man--but the first time I saw your image I immediately thought of Merrill Osmond-and I still do! I hope you don't consider that a put-down, man I love Merrill! He's a talented music man just like you :)

      Delete
    2. I don’t think it’s a put down as I don’t know who Merrill Osmond is.
      I’ll have to look him up.

      Delete
    3. How--how could you not know who he is? You know more artists than anyone on this planet! He was one of the Osmond Brothers :)

      Delete
  15. Oh, is that who he is? I’ve just seen photos and I can see a bit of a likeness.
    Sorry, The Osmond Brothers didn’t ever impinge on my purview. I had vaguely heard of them but I was more interested in Bob Dylan, The Band, Van Morrison, Miles Davis, Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson, Willie DeVille and on and on, than I was in that family.
    There’s a related tale – back in 1984 we were working on some software developed in Arizona. One of their developers came over and helped us. As he was on his own (his wife joined him a month or so later), I often invited him around to my place for dinner (he lived not far away).
    He was a serious Mormon (but didn’t object to my drinking wine). Later, he said he’d like to thank me by inviting me to a Mormon dinner (also not far away). Blabber mouth that I am, I said, “Do you think the Elders would be happy with a semi-alcoholic divorced atheist?” He smiled, and said, “Probably not”.
    Bit of a shame really, the evening could have been interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy...well, a TRUE Mormon wouldn't be so quick to cast stones; I bet Merrill Osmond would've appreciated your colorful character and talked with you plenty, Peter--God knows you guys would have plenty in common :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.