Saturday, November 28, 2020

Shopping at Amazon.com: The Happy Homemaker meets the Trekkie

I hope you’re not thinking “Oh no, Doug—not again” but I TOLD you I planned to track my online shopping for the next year or so…

Anyway, I didn’t think I’d be ordering again so soon, but:

1)  My neighbor asked me what she thought was a silly question; it was more like a eureka moment for me

2)  Amazon let me know something I put in my wish-list close to a year ago was finally available and I wasn’t taking any chances

3)  Someone from my past told me of an amazing elixir that I had to try for myself—and boy she wasn’t kidding!

 

1.  OXO Good Grips 3 piece Mixing-Set

  • My own tag-line:  You won’t know you needed these until you have them!
  • Price: $27.88
  • Bought at:  Amazon (click here)
  • Remarks:  Recently my neighbor Opal asked me if I used steel mixing bowls or plastic ones for my baking, as her daughter said the steel ones leak trace amounts of metal.  Waitaminute… mixing bowls??  I’ve been using a heavy ceramic spaghetti bowl from IKEA for baking the last 27 years! 
  • I love these even more than I thought I would.  The set contains a 5 quart, 3 quart & 1.5 quart size bowls with silicone grip handles, pouring spouts and weighted silicone bottoms that SECURE the bowls to the counter.  Gee, I even love the colors.
  • My Grade:  A for it’s amazing how some single guys can be so simple minded!
  


2.  Star Trek: Picard (Season One)

    

  • My own tag-line:  Just when you thought the Star Trek you knew was gone forever…
  • Price: $27.99
  • Bought at:  Amazon (click here)
  • Remarks:  I know, I know; DVDs are so 20th century.  Well, call me old fashioned but I have this thing about owning Star Trek as physical media, not digital.  And since this new show was only available on discs or a monthly CBS Access subscription… plus you get 2 hours of bonus material when you buy them on dvd.
  • Here’s the just of it:  It’s been 15 years since Captain Picard retired to his family’s French vineyard… when one day a young woman approaches him with a question.  Do you know me?  Jean Luc suspects he does—but who is she?  And why are Romulans after her?  It’s big!
  • My Grade: W for WOW—I’ve watched the first 3 episodes and I am honestly stunned with what I’m seeing—a gorgeous, first-rate sci-fi spectacle set in the Trek universe.  If this ain’t Heaven, I don’t know what is.


3. McCormick Pure Lemon Extract

  • My own tag-line:  This ain’t your mother’s lemon juice!
  • Price: $3.88
  • Bought at:  Amazon (click here)
  • Remarks:  Last April when I was baking lemon sugar cookies, Pen (an old classmate and very dear friend) reached out to let me know she tried my recipe, and her cookies just weren’t lemony enough.  She wasn’t into zesting lemons and all that jazz, so she got this.
  • After searching local stores, I found it on Amazon.  THIS STUFF IS POTENT.  Here, it says on the box: For lemon cookies, use 1/4 teaspoon per 6 dozen cookies.  If you’re not baking for an army, have an eyedropper handy! 
  • My Grade: Z for Lemon Zest Plus  (It really is terrific, thanks Pen!)

Well, that’s all I have for now.  I have a couple new items in my Amazon cart, but they’ll have to wait until until I have more to qualify for FREE SHIPPING.  (You can still get free shipping if you’re not a Prime Member… you just have to spend a minimum amount, say $50.00). 

I was wondering where I’d be storing those mixing bowls, it turns out I had just the right amount of space with my dishes (it helps not to have a lot of dishes).  If you look on the top shelf, there’s my ceramic spaghetti bowl (with 8 spaghetti dishes stacked inside).  It sure was a pain to take down and put back when I needed something large enough for popcorn or to make a meatloaf.  Rest in peace up there!

 

30 comments:

  1. I definitely want that DVD of Picard. I didn't know it was available. Is it nerdy of me to admit that I own every season of Star Trek(original) and The Next Generation on DVD? ;) Those mixing bowls look great. I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret I owned Trek shows & movies on videodisc in the 80s, VHS in the 90's, all the series & movies on DVD in custom-artworked slipcases in the 00's--now THAT is nerdy!! :) Yes buy the Picard--I promise you will not be sorry :)

      Delete
  2. I like those mixing bowls mainly because they all have a spout. Very convenient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi, I was just thinking of you--was at the store buying golden mushroom soup & pineapple chunks. I'm anxious to try your recipe, I'll let you know :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh, just might have to get that DVD. I was unhappy that it was only shown on CBS access. Big fan so thanks for the link. Might also try that potent lemon extract. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, just when I thought I couldn't like you anymore than I do now... what a nice surprise! Yes I was unhappy (a little angry too) that it was only on CBS Access. (Would've been nice to see the new Twilight Zone too.) If you do get Picard (a 3 disc set) and were a fan of Patrick Stewart... this will knock your socks off. He's terrific. And so is that lemon extract!

      Delete
  4. I can see the advantage of the mixing bowls... while plastic isn't as appealing as ceramic, I also use 2 plastic mixing bowls (with spouts and rubber bottoms) that I purchased from Krogers years ago. So much easier to store as well as to handle.
    And as for Amazon purchases, I just ordered my own Christmas gift from them... one of those thermometers that take your temp by touching (or not touching) your forehead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rian--well, I've gotten used to that big ceramic bowl, but the last time I used a hand mixer in it the clatter was SO LOUD. I was afraid I'd chip the bowl eventually too. I do love the plastic set--by the way, THANK YOU. I've been wanting to buy one of those thermometers too and keep forgetting, very much appreciate that!

      Delete
  5. Steel bowls leak traces of metal? is that in the mixing process or when used to bake something? Because I use stainless steel bowls for mixing, but don't bake in them, for baking I have baked enamel pans for roasts and veggies and non-stick pans for cakes and cookies and one single pyrex pie dish.
    DVDs might be so 20th century but that hasn't stopped me adding to my collection. Although I am fast running out of room. I don't have any original Star Trek DVDs, nor the Picard series, but I have the Star Trek on usb sticks, (thumb drives, flash drives) and will see about getting the Picard series too. My biggest problem is finding time to watch everything. Or anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River--well, according to my neighbor, her daughter was talking about just the mixing bowls--but c'mon, stainless steel? I never heard anything like that, couldn't find anything online either. I just went with these plastic ones because I like the colors :) Anyway, your usb sticks & thumb drives--very cool! :)

      Delete
  6. As with you, I’m still buying a couple of things on line. This week, there were two:
    An anti-static chair mat for putting under the chair I use when at my computer. The old one has developed holes.
    A double-sided water stone for sharpening my chef’s knives.
    I bought them online in spite of being able to roam free as we have just passed 30 days in a row without a single case of Covid. I bet you wish you could say that (sorry for sounding smug).
    Peter (exMM)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, smug away--30 days, I can't imagine! Well, hopefully once we get Trump out of the White House... anyway, sharpening stone--great idea, I don't have chefs knives but the ones I do have are dull. I'm going straight to Amazon :) Hey Peter, it's nice to hear from you. I guess Ronni's site isn't turning out to be what anyone expected. :(

      Delete
  7. All loot guaranteed to enjoy, Doug. Just ordered a new pair of prescription eyeglasses online. Kind of nice to think we are helping provide employment for handlers and drivers as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Florence--well, I never thought of the drivers & handlers, but I'm glad you said that. I DO feel a little guilty shopping online so much, but I DO look in my area first for things. My options are just so limited. I'd love to see the return of little shops & stuff in my small town...

      Delete
  8. Being a new reader of your blog this is my first time commenting. I just ordered Picard and am looking forward to it. Like you I own all the various Star Treks on DVD. I’ve never tried lemon extract, must get some as I have a couple recipes that call for lemon zest. Enjoy your week!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, thanks for stopping by! (Like the name, Cat Lover--I'm one myself) Anyway, that's terrific to hear you're a Trek lover, omigosh you're going to love Picard--I hope you can let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy your week as well! :)

      Delete
  9. I'm also a fairly new reader of your blog, but it's been long enough that I feel I already "know" you and appreciate your comments and posts as well. I don't need any new kitchen stuff, but you have made me very curious about that lemon extract. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, thank you very much for chiming in (I always like your comments). And I'm feeling less alone, I thought I was the only one who never heard of this extract. :)

      Delete
  10. I don't think I will be converting to plastic mixing bowls anytime soon. Too many horror stories in recent decades of bad chemicals in plastic leaching out into whatever they are containing. We have stainless steel and the two largest parts are chromium and carbon, both of which the human body contains a lot of naturally.

    That is the exact lemon extract I used to copy your lemon cookies. They were indeed very lemony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--well Ed, God KNOWS what we've put in our bodies so I just went with those plastic bowls cux they looked light and had good reviews and were "storable". I don't plan to eat from them daily :)

      And yes that lemon extract kicks butt! I'm getting another bottle :)

      Delete
    2. I should rephrase and say I would use plastic bowls, I just wouldn't heat them in the microwave or wash them in the dishwasher. Heat and plastic seems to bring out the worst. We have a set of similar plastic bowls with lids that we use when bringing salads and such to potlucks. We just hand wash them when we get home.

      Delete
    3. Oh--well Ed, I would never microwave or dishwash these either--I think you're 100% right on what that can do to 'em.

      Delete
  11. I know some people like to bash Amazon. But one of the great things about Amazon is how they track your past, present and future purchases. Not every website does that. It allows you to go back and check when you bought something -- what style, what brand -- so you can get it again. Or make sure you don't buy two of something when you only want one. I'm also impressed that Amazon hasn't given up on its core business of books. It's still the best place to go to find title, author, subject information. P. S. I see you have Prime now? Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, You're right about the conveniences of Amazon (and I DO like the order history, great for coffee, etc) but I still feel a little guilty sometimes. I spent an extra $1.30 last week to get Swiffer replacements at my local hardware store :) Anyway, nope not a Prime Member yet! I'm one of the last hold-outs :)

      Delete
  12. Oh dang it, Doug! I have ENOUGH mixing bowls, BUT now you're making me want yours. Those really look nifty and they're nesting. I'll just mention it to Art and see what he says.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really enjoying reading about your Amazon buys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Kay, to be honest I needed to hear that :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.