Thursday, November 5, 2020

Trapped in my TV: I sure hope this election ends soon

I should be feeling a lot better about things, why aren’t I?  Tuesday night I sat up watching the election results in a state of fatigue, near panic & despair.  Forced myself to turn off the tv around 2am, went to bed and before passing out, thought “I’m pretty sure I can’t endure another 4 years of Donald Trump.”  

Knowing I was far from alone with those feelings was no help.

Fell asleep, woke up promptly 3 hours later and came right back into my livingroom.  Turned on my still-warm tv and have pretty much been here ever since.

And since yesterday morning at 5:30am to now (9:43 PM EST) it seems that things are moving in Biden’s direction but at a snail’s pace.  I honest-to-God feel like we’re getting updates on each…. vote….cast.  So maddening. 

I had one good laugh today, just a couple hours ago.  On MSNBC (pretty much the only channel I’ve been watching) Brian Williams announced the president was coming on the air shortly and the network would be going to him.  Sure enough, we see Donald Trump at his podium in the White House, who cut right to the chase.  “If you count the legal votes, I easily win.”

We didn’t get to hear much more, Brian Williams had the good grace to cut that lunatic off mid-sentence and return us to sanity.  Donald, if it makes you feel any better I thought your coiffed head looked very nice.

Anyhoo… I hope everyone is hanging in there.  You Trumpers too.

Earlier today when I escaped from my tv long enough to brush my teeth and run up the street to the drugstore, I ran into my neighbor Sue there, who lives on the first floor.  She said “Hey!  If I agree with you that President Trump isn’t a nice person, willl you agree with me that Joe Biden shouldn’t be president either?”   

Gosh Sue, will that get me into your Cool Kids Club?  FOR GODSAKES WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU!   I sure was glad I was picking up my blood pressure meds!

Serenity now…. serenity now…


24 comments:

  1. HOW can anyone compare how insane Trump is to how classy and presidential Joe Biden is? *shaking my head* I haven't been following, but my nerves are off the charts. I thought AZ was a lock but now I'm not sure. Will Nevada come through? We could sure use you, PA! (and Georgia too) I should probably double up on my blood pressure meds. Hang in there, Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, I've enjoyed your own posts on this very much!

      Delete
  2. I had to laugh at something Trump said when I read my newspaper this morning. "They're finding Biden votes everywhere...This is wrong" There's more but that's all I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks River--I hope those Bidens keep popping up everywhere :)

      Delete
  3. I love this. I just read it to Art. I want you to know my tummy has been bad since Tuesday. Two more days of this madness maybe. I’m in misery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kay, you're very kind, thank you. I sure am sorry what this is doing to your well-being... boy do I get it. I'm sure the good news is coming, but we're going to pay for it. Please hang in there.

      Delete
  4. Doug, since hearing of the close race results, I've been too puzzled/disappointed/saddened to watch any more election coverage. The wide support for this unsavoury character just makes no sense. I can just imagine drug stores across the planet tripling their orders for blood pressure meds. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence YOU SAID IT. I'm grateful that Biden is taking a lead, slow but sure, but the fact this keeps coming down to a couple thousand votes is a real wake-up call on how separate the US has become. I'm very much wondering how long we can remain "United".

      Delete
  5. Wow is this torment. Lets rip that bandage off. Reminds me when I lived in Florida and we had the week long "hanging chad" episodes with Bush and Gore. I am hoping this turns out much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti! I know these counters are doing a thankless job but yes--torment sums it up well! Well, I see PA is getting their act together this morning... fingers crossed for a little sanity soon!

      Delete
  6. Haha. That Sue made me chuckle. No worries, Biden won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi I'm glad Sue gave you a chuckle but I don't understand why Sue needs to bargain with me on these things! Anyway, I'm sure you're right about Biden, I'll just feel better when they announce it :)

      Delete
  7. Dug, we watched the news the first day (Wednesday)... since then the TV news comes on just once a day and only for a few minutes so we can see how things stand. The first night I tried to tell myself that "what will be, will be" - but like yourself, kept thinking "how will we get through another 4 years of this man?" Now I'm beginning to hope again... but still afraid to. I don't know if Biden can bring us back together, but I do know that Trump can't... and IMO doesn't even care to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Rian! It's good to hear someone else's thoughts so similar to my own. To be honest I'm a little afraid too, there's a lot on Biden's shoulders--but like you said, I just keep reminding myself it beats having Trump in there another 4 years. My God I can't even imagine!

      Delete
  8. Since the person I voted for has garnered less than 1% of the vote, on Tuesday, I really haven't been paying a lot of attention. Even if the worst case scenario happened, I wouldn't lose sleep because I know we as a nation can get through four years of any presidency without imploding. I mean, the last four years should be a case for that point. As it is looking, my best case scenario looks to be occurring. Trump will no longer be president and we have a split Congress meaning any legislation will have to have some bipartisan support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand why someone would cast their vote for someone knowing it wouldn't make a difference one way or the other, but I guess that's what real democracy is all about.

      Delete
    2. I would counter by saying why would someone want to go to the moon without knowing how or if any benefit can be gained? Why would you want to buy a food you've never eaten before? Sometimes we do things not because the benefit it now, but because it might be for the future. So why would you ask someone to vote for someone he/she doesn't agree with when there is someone running for that same position whom I agree with on the large majority of their platform? Yes they may not be relevant now but if enough people like me in the middle get tired of voting between two extremists, them maybe my vote will become more relevant.

      Delete
  9. I haven't had the TV on at all for the last three days. Serenity now ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I am bowing down to your wisdom sir! I mean it, good for you. :)

      Delete
  10. Yay, Doug! I just heard. Thank you, Pennsylvania!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Kay! Thanks for chiming in my friend, I just heard too!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Heh heh--good to hear from you Ken! I'm going to chant this all day!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.