Sunday, November 22, 2020

The curse nearly lifted, I think I know what I’m doing for Thanksgiving

Yesterday (Saturday) afternoon, I went to the market for some items and bought 2 tubes of Pillsbury Pizza Dough.  (It’s $2.79 a roll, or 2 for $4.00.) 

It was my first time making a pizza with this dough in a can, and I couldn’t have been more surprised.  The crust was tender, flaky & melt in your mouth delicious.  (This one may look a little funky, I covered it with pepperoni, onions and Italian herbs.)

I enjoyed it so much I think I know what I’m having for my Thanksving dinner.  Now I just need to pick up some Turkey Hill Pumpkin Pie ice cream and I’ll be pretty much set.

I admit that in ORDINARY times, it kind of sucks spending Thanksgiving on your own;  but as this pandemic surges, and the governor implores people to stay at home, I have no problem with being extra careful.  (Also, on Friday my building’s management posted signs downstairs prohibiting all visitors except for mail delivery or medical personnel until further notice.)  

But I’m still in a festivus mood.  Last Thanksgiving, I spent the entire day in bed doped up on painkillers and my head frozen with ice-packs as my TMD raged.  And the year before that, I spent Thanksgiving in the hospital, my lower back on fire from recent kidney stones and a lesion burned off my right kidney. 

Compared to those times, this holiday’s presidential hysterics are almost entertaining.  As long as my loved ones are healthy & safe from covid-19, and I’m relatively pain free, bring on the meltdown Donald.

I’ll be eating a Pillsbury Dough POULTRY pizza if my jaw muscles hold out, working on a future blog (it’s a doozie) and watching my favorite Ozzie & Harriet episode, “The Day After Thanksgiving”. 

I sure hope my friends out there (both physical & blog) have a healthy & peaceful Thanksgiving too.  

Nerd smile          Red heart          Nerd smile

19 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Dug! Your Thanksgiving pizza sounds wonderful. And I agree that as long as my loved ones stay covid free, I'm willing to give up the family gathering this year... especially to ensure that everyone is here and healthy for next year's.
    Pillsbury makes some good products... just made some apple turnovers with Pillsbury crescent rolls. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rian, I love your response (and attitude)! Yes I'm just now discovering Pillsbury (better late than never) and apple turnovers sound like a wonderful idea, thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. Turkey Hill Pumpkin Pie ice cream sure beats TMD or kidney stones. Glad you're doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Tom, hope your turkey day's a happy one :)

      Delete
  3. Glad your TMD presently not an issue and hope it remains so. Interesting recipe for pizza - looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dug! I just discovered your blog after seeing you around on some other blogs I follow. That pizza you made look delicious and believe it or not I am making one almost just like it in about an hour for our dinner tonight. I love making pizza with Pillsbury Pizza Dough. It's easy to work with and taste great!

    I was looking around your blog and could not help but see the older post on Ralph Waite. I am a major Walton's fan and it seems like I hardly ever see anyone else that likes them. I've been watching them recently on METV which carries so many of the old shows.

    Sorry I'm rattling on. Just wanted to pop in and say Hi!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie, thanks for the nice comments! Yeah I'm a little new at the Pillsbury game, but I'm sorry I didn't try it a lot sooner--I love it. And thanks for noticing the Ralph Waite piece I wrote awhile back. I've always loved that show and need to remember to watch them on MeTV. In case you didn't know, Judy Norton does a couple "Looking back" videos on Youtube every week, she's very gracious & honest. Ok now I'm rambling on, but thanks again Bonnie, hope you have a nice Thanksgiving :)

      Delete
  5. Sure looks delicious, Doug! And pumpkin pie ice cream! Delicious! But Ossie & Harriet? Seriously?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Thanks Florence and yes, the first couple seasons of Ozzie & Harriet rock, my friend! :)

      Delete
  6. I'll have to try that dough for homemade pizza. Pizza is one of my very favorite foods! That one looks delicious. What did you use for sauce? And cheese? I've never seen pumpkin pie ice cream anywhere. Is it seasonal? I can certainly understand your relief at not being in pain or in the hospital, truly an event to be thankful for! However, I still can't find any humor in the antics of our banana republic wannabe dictator. He is a menace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, well said--all of it. I don't find Trump funny either (and his ardent followers frighten me a little). As for that pizza, Pillsbury sells 2 crusts--I buy the THIN version (long skinnier tube), it's much easier to work with. I used Mid's Pizza Sauce, and just shredded mozzarella cheese from a bag. And yes, Turkey Hill makes a seasonal ice cream in the supermarket, key lime in the summer, pumpkin pie in Nov-Dec; it's delicious :)

      Delete
  7. Dear ApacheDug and Friends, Turkey and stuffing was my late husband's favorite meal. A few Thanksgivings ago, after both of us ate a modest helping, my husband laid his fork on his cleaned plate, looked at me, and said, "we're old." Yep. Eleven years his junior, one helping was enough for me too.

    This Thanksgiving will be roast chicken - dinner for one. Was thinking about buying a turkey, but it will take me forever to go through 10 pounds of meat. The ones at the store all looked like 15-pounders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that look back Sue, and what you said about buying a turkey--the same with me. I bought a small chicken and am using the leftovers to make a chicken pizza :)

      Delete
  8. Pumpkin Pie ice cream?? I can't imagine anything worse, but that pizza looks so delicious I just want to dive right in and eat my way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the pumpkin pie ice cream is the BEST--it even comes with chunks of crust! Anyway, thank you for the pizza comment--it WAS good :)

      Delete
  9. Don't know how I missed this one Doug. So glad your Thanksgiving was relatively painless and that pizza looks pretty darn good. And Pumpkin pie ice cream? Wow, hope it makes it here.
    Loved Ozzie and Harriet. Such a cool family. I dated Ricky's twin (well he really looked like him) in high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti.. to be honest, I took this blog down a couple hours after posting--developed some issues with my TMJ, I figured this blog jinxed me. Back to semi-liquid foods and on new meds for a couple weeks, darn it!

      Delete
  10. I used to watch that show ALL the time. Ricky Nelson was such a heartthrob, even in Hawaii.
    Our Italian friend used to make pizza with Pillsbury dough too and it was great!!! Something else for us to try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.