Wednesday, November 18, 2020

When it comes to these raspberrry lava cookies, third time’s the charm :^)~

Since I’ve been eating fairly regularly for a couple months now, I wanted to do something different with all the frozen raspberries in my freezer (when my diet was mainly smoothies).  I looked online at different raspberry cookie recipes, but they were always something frilly like lemon-raspberry tea cookies, all pretty and pink.   

I wanted something more manly—with raspberry lava!

My first attempt was a 9 x 11 pan of hot pink sludge (too many berries, and all mushed first); my second batch was a dozen pink on top, scorched on the bottom dough-blobs.  Ugh!

This was my third attempt, and they turned out just right.  I thought I’d share exactly what I did so I don’t screw them up again!

Doug’s Raspberrry Lava Cookies

1.  Set an uncracked egg in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes (to get it to room temperature).  While waiting, beat 1 cup of sugar & 1 softened stick of butter together with a mixer.

2.  Add the egg & 1 teaspoon of real vanilla.  Hey mixer, you’re needed again!  Beat everything together for another minute, until yellow & creamy.

3.  Sift together 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder & 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Slowly beat this flour mixture into your creamy batter.

4.  THIS IS THE TRICKY PART.  Put the hand mixer away and CAREFULLY fold 1 cup of frozen raspberries into your batter with a frosting spatula.

(They thaw fast and squish easily, don’t overmix or you’ll mush all of them.  If you want to add more, don’t.)

5.  Cover, chill your dough AT LEAST 1 hour in the fridge. 

6.  Now you’re ready to bake.  Have a baking sheet handy, topped with parchment paper or aluminum foil sprayed with Pam.  (I prefer an airbake sheet topped with sprayed foil.)

    

7.  With a tablespoon or ice cream scoop, plop 9 blobs of dough on the sheet.  This batter is VERY sticky, and prone to squirting juice if you attempt to roll it with your hands.  Don’t worry they’re not perfect balls of cookie dough!

    

8.  Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 14-15 minutes (3-4 minutes more if you use an airbake sheet like I do).  Let cool 1-2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack or plate, that lava needs to calm down.  Yep, you’re right—they smell incredible!

    

This recipe makes 18 large cookies.  They may not look very pretty, but who cares?  Now get some cold milk & enjoy these monsters :)

    

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Barb! Hey--I read your blog sometimes, Living Richly in Retirement! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  2. Lava cookies because of the explosion of the raspberries, right? Do they taste like a sugar cookie with raspberries? Do you use granulated or powdered sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, haha I just read your second comment--actually they are NOT sugar cookies, these are more buttery-cakey as I used baking powder, NOT baking soda--do I sound like I know what I'm talking about?? :) But yes, my friend--those raspberries (the ones that dont get mushed in mixing) do explode quite nicely :)

      Delete
  3. Never mind, I see the granulated sugar there! Sugar cookies have powdered sugar, so not at all similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Margaret, I only use powdered sugar with lemon cookies--either to dust the cookies with after baking, or to make a glaze :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, they sure were--I only blog the stuff that turns out okay :)

      Delete
  5. I really admire your courage in the kitchen. Even when you have a couple of bad batches, you don't let that stop you and the proof is in the last batch of cookies. Looking good Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear friend Patti; I knew I was on the right track... and I had a TON of these berries :)

      Delete
  6. You sir might be a cookie whisperer! You got me hooked on lemon cookies and I will not let you get me hooked on raspberry cookies too... at least not tonight. Perhaps this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Ed... yes these are very hookable, I had to resist buying another bag of berries after my haircut today :)

      Delete
  7. So glad to hear your jaw has healed enough to allow chewing again, Doug. No wonder you are celebrating with home baked treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Florence. Good days & bad days, but it's a big improvement from 6 months ago (as my digital scales can confirm) ;)

      Delete
  8. They look delicious. I've never put an egg in warm water to get to room temperature, wouldn't that begin to cook it a bit? here in Australia ten minutes out of the fridge is all that is needed. Maybe 15 minutes in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River :) Well, when I suggested warm water I just meant lukewarm. Room temp eggs help cookies rise a little better when baking & less dense. It really makes a difference, trust me I know :)

      Delete
    2. I know about that, I use room temp eggs when making cakes, especially my light-as-air sponge cakes.

      Delete
    3. Okay... well, I'm no baker--I'm just now learning this stuff :)

      Delete
  9. I don't know why, but I couldn't help smiling and smiling as I read this post. I love the idea of you in the kitchen. I wish you lived next door. I would trade you a cookie for a blueberry muffin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you are not close enough for me to share those cookies with you. They look yummy! You are a quite accomplished cook, Doug. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DJan, I STILL wish we lived closer though :) As for my cooking, I'd say I was more of a mad scientist :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.