Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Proud fools and Republican men: stubborn is as stubborn does, I suppose

This morning I made plans to go to the market and do some shopping.  For the last several weeks I’d only been picking up 1-2 items at a time, and was surprised how bare my cupboards had gotten, along with an empty freezer. 

As I sat on my couch tying my shoes, I watched the news.  There’s going to be a pause on the Johnson & Johnson One Dose vaccine because of six cases of blood clotting (out of 8 million).  A miniscule number, but this would not bode well for the 49% of Republican men refusing to get vaccinated.  This was the last thing they needed to hear.

I shook my head in disbelief.  Butt-brains!  They could infect each other with covid-19 for all I cared.  I know, I know… not nice. 

So I turned off my TV, grabbed my mask and headed to the store, wondering why these men were being so stubborn.  I’ve had to restrain myself from yelling at my TV every time Joe Biden has gotten on there, pleading with us to get vaccinated.  Joe I’m trying!  It’s been reported that people like myself who had the virus and recovered, develop a natural immunity that lasts around six months.  Still, doctors claim they only need one dose of the 2 dose vaccines.  I got sick last July, took me 2 months to fully recover and cannot imagine going thru that again.

So the next thing I know, I am at the store and bagging my groceries when the checker turns to me and says “Your total comes to $113.70.”  I looked down at the spray of items still unbagged and said “Uh-Oh.”  She asked “What’s wrong?  Did you forget your wallet?”   

No, that wasn’t it.  I had come to Kuhn’s with a list of exactly what I needed, what I knew I could safely manage to carry home.  But today… I can’t explain it.  Something came over me and I loaded up that shopping cart with a month’s worth of food.  I even made sure to eat before I went, I know the rule about shopping on an empty stomach.

I said “No, it’s more like I forgot my car.  I don’t see how I’m going to carry this many bags home.”    

Suddenly, a woman appeared behind my right shoulder (on her way out the doors) and said “Did you forget where you parked your car hon?”  She looked between 65 and 70, and was holding one bag of her own.  I said “No, no—I sold my car last year but forgot I can only carry so much.  I’m fine.”  

She said “Well I’m parked right outside.  Let’s load up this cart with your bags and wheel it to my car.  My daughter brung me, but she won’t mind.”   I said “Omigosh, that’s very kind of you but no thanks, I’m good.”

(I don’t know why I automatically said that, I must’ve had 10-11 bags here.)

She didn’t give up easily though and asked “How far do you live from here?”  I said “Oh, I’m just up the street and down a few blocks, California Avenue.”  She said “Where on California?”  I told her right past the Methodist church.  She said “The Tiffany.”  I nodded my head and turned to my checker, said I was paying with my debit card.  The woman beside me said “Oh sure, my sister Betty lives there!  She’s in 316, which one are you?”   I told her 402. 

Dammit, why did I just tell her that?

She said “My daughter Stacey is over at the office buying bus tickets.  That’s the only thing she came in for, so we have room for your bags.”  I said “Ma’am, thanks again but I’ll be fine.”  I asked my checker if she’d help load up my arms with bags and this other woman stood there and said “That doesn’t look very smart.  If you don’t want my help then why don’t you use your Senior Pass and make a couple trips on the bus?  Kuhns will watch your stuff.” 

I told her I didn’t have a senior pass.  She said “You sound like my late husband, he didn’t go for all the senior perks either.  He was stubborn too.” 

I wanted to tell her I wasn’t old enough yet for a senior pass (and was a little miffed she thought I was) but I just shrugged my shoulders while the checker weighed down my second arm with bags.  

I got out of Kuhn’s parking lot (it’s slanted and a steep uphill climb) and braced myself against an electric pole to pant like a dog for a couple minutes.  Just a couple feet away, a big PAT bus hissed to a stop and I watched a couple older folks climb on. 

I’m not stubborn!  When I’m their age I’ll get a Senior Pass!

As I huffed down California Avenue, hands burning, fingers aching, chest thumping and suckiing in a lot of air, I noticed a car right behind me cruising very slow.  When I got to the next electric pole, I wearily drooped my arms and rested against it.  The car behind me slowed to a stop, and the driver’s window rolled down.  A very attractive young woman, looking around 30 or so, stuck her head out and asked if I was alright.  I smiled and said I was fine, thanks for asking.  She asked “Do you have far to go?”   I blushed and said only another block.

She leaned far back in her seat then, and another face neared the open window.  The woman from the store!  She said “I TOLD YOU this was too much for one trip!  We’re going to follow you until you get to the Tiffany!”

My God!  I’m sure her daughter had better things to do than follow some older man home… it just kills me how stubborn some people like her mother can be!

Anyway, just wanted to get this off my chest—along with about a month’s worth of groceries.

40 comments:

  1. You are absolutely nuts. Haha. A pretty woman and her mother offering you a ride home? Get in the car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, you sounded a bit Republican yourself refusing the ride for no good reason.
    But maybe there was a reason. Was her sister "the Betty"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Patti I guess I was just a little too proud to admit I needed help, politics aside, it's a man thing :) You have a good memory, but that woman's sister Betty wasn't THE Betty, haha! I have no idea who lives in 316 :)

      Delete
  3. Doug, Doug, Doug, what are we going to do with you? ha! You always have good stories that make me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, much appreciated. Well, at least it gives me something to write about :)

      Delete
  4. My husband used to do this all the time until he tore a tendon and messed up his elbow now he carries a like black shopping bag on wheels or a back pack with wheels. I would also call a Uber if they they are in your area. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWmom thanks for the compliment AND the good advice here! I'm very sorry about your husband, this is what I need to do!

      Delete
  5. I'm your type of person who would carry in 10 bags from the car rather than making two trips. However, that's a little closer than you were from the store! This post cracked me up. Pride goeth before a fall, Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, knowing you I knew you would relate--but yes I pushed things a little too far. I loved that quote rhough! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I hate to say it, but I agree with the others. You probably should have gotten in the car. I think they were both just trying to be helpful. I will admit though, if it was me and a strange man driving I would not get in the car. Did they both look like dangerous killers? If so, you were right to not take the ride! ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Bonnie, I always appreciate your input :) I do think it'd be different if she was a man and I wasn't, I guess my male pride got in the way. If I could do it all over again.. I think I would've made 2 trips! (But that woman WAS nice to offer) :)

      Delete
  7. You need to get you one of those little wheeled carts for shopping and get you some bungy straps for when you have too much. At least then you can bungy everything on and wheel it back home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat! Good advice and I agree, 100 percent--I see people with 'em all the time, I'm getting one :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Tom, that is a good idea but I don't own a smartphone. I only live 3-4 blocks away, I just have to stick to the shopping list :)

      Delete
  9. I would have struggled on my own too, rather than accept a lift from a complete stranger. but I also might have asked the store if I could wheel the cart home and bring it back after unloading at home. Here a lot of people without cars wheel their trolleys home, but then the lazy buggers don't return the cart just leaving it out on the footpath instead, so the shops have to pay someone to go around collecting them.
    I'm concerned about blood clot possibilities in one of our vaccines too, I have extensive varicose veins, the last thing I need is a blood clot which may or may not happen, but I'd rather not take chances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the blood clot is a scary thing... I suppose if I had an option, I'd opt for the safer drug. I just wish I HAD an option, everything around me continues to be 'Out of stock' on the vaccine. The shopping cart is a nice idea (to wheel home), I know they see me as a "regular". :)

      Delete
  10. Like you, my immediate instinct is to say, "No thanks, I'm fine!" But, Doug, it makes people happy when you let them help. It would be your gift to them. (I must remember my own little lecture the next time I encounter the kindness of strangers.) Glad you plan to buy a wheely shopping cart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence I'm surprised you said it (I think you & I are cut from the same cloth) but you're absolutely right and in retrospect I wish I'd done that! But yes, I really am going to get one of those portable pull-carts, I used to worry they'd make me look old, but I'm past that :^)

      Delete
  11. Doug, have you thought about buying one of those folding grocery/utility carts on wheels? I have one that I use to get my grocery bags from my car, up to my condo. It works great! Ah, the kindness of strangers. Restores our faith in humanity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole, a couple others made that suggestion (about the folding cart) and it's a great idea--I am definitely getting one! And that was very nice of that woman to offer. I wish I could go back a day. :)

      Delete
  12. As you know, I have some conservative views (and more liberal ones) but I have never understood the Republican stance against science. It started with global warming and continues on with vaccines. Like you, I hope they continue to get Covid so we can get closer to herd immunity. And along these lines, it isn't just men. The women are every bit the same way, at least out here in rural America where Republican's rule the roost.

    Fortunately, I think anyway, I'm young enough that nobody takes pity on me yet. They just probably laugh as they drive by. At least you now know that if you have a heart attack between the grocery store and your apartment, you probably won't lay on the ground long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed! Hahaha my gosh! HERD IMMUNITY ASIDE, I'm very sure that if someone like yourself fell to the ground, you'd get help right away too! Y'know, I used to feel this way too just a few years ago, too funny :)

      Delete
  13. P.S. I haven't heard the one dose only if you have had Covid. As far as I know, the CDC still recommends two doses even if you have had Covid. Like you, I had it in January but I just finished my second dose of Pfizer on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just heard it yesterday Ed, on "Morning Joe" that 2 doses are still recommended but aren't necessary (for former covid sufferers). But good for you on getting that second dose, I'm envious!

      Delete
  14. Nothing wrong with being considerate ApacheDug putting others first during a pandemic. You're obviously of good character. I hope next vaccination is soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Spacer--I don't know how considerate I am, but I appreciate the words, sir :)

      Delete
  15. Don't know how you managed with all those bags. Accepting help graciously is a lesson we all need to learn, especially as we age, though I can appreciate your reluctance since you didn't know them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joared, that was good advice & so well said. :) And honestly, I don't know I managed all those bags either, but I will never do that again.

      Delete
  16. I know you probably should have accepted their ride... BUT... I'm not sure I would have agreed to the ride either. Maybe it's silly, or I'm just shy, but I would feel weird about getting into a stranger's car. I would have left half my groceries at the store and come back for it though. And yes, the folding cart is a great idea.

    And as for the Republican men... sigh... what can you do? It's going to be next to impossible to get to herd immunity without them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! I've gotten some good input here, yours included. (I'm pretty sure I will never get in a strangers car, just too weird for me.) As for the vaccine, I don't understand that at all :(

      Delete
  17. I was getting real confused as to who was being stubborn. I like the ideas of a cart with wheels, AND a backpack. Or, ordering online and picking it up; or delivery. No smartphone yet eh? Hmmmm, that could make you older than you really are! Good luck; I'm concerned about the huffing and puffing, might want to let your doc know about your story. We want to keep reading your blog! Linda in flat Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Linda I guess you picked up on the real stubborn character here :) Anyway, I DID learn that there's no online ordering from Kuhns, but they do have a delivery service. Just that I consider walking there as my exercise :) I'm getting one of those folding carts though, I liked that idea a lot. Thanks for your comments!

      Delete
  18. How about a taxi next time this happens? although I'm pretty sure you won't over buy again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dianne, that is a good suggestion but I did learn my lesson--I will never walk with all those bags again. Especially when funny bossy ladies offer me a lift :)

      Delete
  19. I am just glad you made it without injury. It sure makes for a fun post, and I am happy to know so many people really cared about you, enough to push through your denials. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DJan. Well, I like to take "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" and make it "what doesn't kill you, makes a new blog." :^)

      Delete
  20. I would have been pissed off if someone had asked me if I had a senior pass. There are a group of people here in the UK that are refusing to take the vaccine, I'm not one of them. I had my 1st dose as soon as I was able, and will with the 2nd one too. Let's kick this awful disease in the arse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Joe, I definitely don't look like a kid anymore so it didn't bother me that much--anyway, glad to hear you got the vaccine I am still trying! I just don't get why people are refusing, everything's a conspiracy to them...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.