Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Like the old saying goes, you can catch more faucets with honey than with vinegar

Okay so the title is a little off, but it’s still true.  And I’m not sure this is blog-worthy but I still wanted to share it, if that’s okay.  A little over a week ago, I was getting a baking sheet from under the kitchen sink (I lean them against the wall under there) and noticed a small spray of water droplets on the top pan.  Did that just happen?  Where’d those drops come from?  I reached up under the sink and ran my hand along the pipes.  Don’t feel anything… 

That night before going to bed, I laid a large brown paper bag from the market under the pipes.

When I got up the next morning, I filled up my water reservoir tank on my Keurig, got my cereal & toast, was rinsing my dishes… oh wait, the paper bag!  I looked under my sink and sure enough, there was an 8 inch oval wet spot on that bag.  Was that from an overnight drip or this morning?  I’d better contact building management.  I filled out the online service request, took a photo and attached it to the SR.  Then I waited.

A day later, I was sitting here reading (blogs, what else?) when I heard some male voices down the hall by the elevator.  One of them laughed and I knew right away it was Jay, a younger man from West Virginia and our building’s ‘plumber guy’. 

It’s about time!  I’m not going to sit here and replace wet paper bags every morning, y’know! 

I got up to go meet them when I suddenly heard Janet, the woman who lives up the hall talking to them.  I carefully opened my door to listen better and boy, she was really giving them the business.  Apparently she had contacted Steiner about a clogged bathroom sink, and was irritated to learn they weren’t here for her today.  They were installing new plumbing in the studio apt by our floor’s laundry room.  I heard Jay apologize profusely, promise to look into it and then Janet’s door slam. 

Was that necessary?  Wait… wasn’t I ready to do some barking of my own just a few minutes before? 

I emptied a bucket of cleaning supplies I kept in my closet and stuck it under my kitchen sink.  There, no more bags.  I made a promise to myself to be extra nice to Jay when I saw him.

Jay arrived the next morning, apologized for the delay and I told him it was okay, I know he gets pulled in every direction daily.  He got under my sink, determined the leak was coming from a crack in my water-line, and I had a sudden flashback of me yelling “GET IN THERE!” at a baking sheet I tried to jam under there a couple weeks ago.  (Jay said it was age but I dunno…)  He told me he’d replace it straightaway, and asked if I had any other issues.  I said yes, could he turn up my fluoride regulator as I was getting a cavity.  He looked at me for a moment then laughed and told me I should talk to his helper Mike, who thinks fluoride is an “X-Files thing” to coat our brains with aluminum.  We both laughed this time, and I asked if he’d like a glass of iced tea and was surprised when he said yes.

When Jay went downstairs for a new water-line, he returned with it and a flat white box.  Inside was a new kitchen faucet (seen in the top photo).  I said “Wow, that’s pretty nice.  Is that for the studio down the hall?”  He said “As long as I gotta detach your line, I thought I’d replace your faucet.  This one will give you a lot more room for filling big pots and your water pitcher.” 

After all was said & done, I called Steiner (my building’s management) to thank them for the great job Jay did.  They seemed really appreciative, thanked me for the call and told me they’d be sure to pass it along.

Janet, I hope you got that bathroom clog fixed—next time try a little less vinegar.  Nerd smile

 

34 comments:

  1. Most definitely honey is the way to go. It doesn't even need to be sweet, just respectful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Ed, I think I just needed that reminder. :)

      Delete
  2. Well, that was a happy outcome. It was nice of you to give him a glass of iced tea. And that new faucet is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi, it definitely pays to play nice! :)

      Delete
  3. I love your stories! I would think the same thing about shoving the pan in; I can always find a way to blame myself. "Did I cause that?" I admire you for calling up with a compliment; that is much needed these days and doesn't happen often enough. I feel positive when I do that, and it also benefits the other person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind, thanks Margaret :) I need to stop having temper tantrums with inanimate objects, and be more positive. Why is that so hard??

      Delete
  4. Yeah respect everyone even if faced with problems because life is too short and besides apartment life is unique, just have to get along which works better too in the long run. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dug, I have a very similar story, but since we own our home, it ended up costing up about $500 in parts and labor. I noticed that we had a leak under the sink about a week ago and put down towels until we could get a plumber in. Figured the seal was probably old and cracking... also there was some leakage under the old faucets. As it turned out it was the old faucets and they also had a white box on hand... so it was fixed. And to be honest, they also replaced some old pipes behind our washing machine. We could have run down to Home Depot or Lowes and looked for the bronze faucets I like, but I just wanted it done and the stainless looks fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch--well Rian, I'm sorry you had your own plumbing problems, I know it can be pricey. Sometimes I can get gripey about apt living, but it does have it's pluses. Anyway, I'm glad we're both now in good shape. :)

      Delete
  6. That is a wonderful story! Definitely blog worthy. You are a nice guy and I love it when kindness gets rewarded. Yes, honey always wins over vinegar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Bonnie! I know it was a corny story to share so I appreciate what you said--I just like a happy ending :^)

      Delete
  7. Love the idea of just being able to call a building manager and have things fixed. Of course there is the wait time but it was kind of nice that you got to see just how vinegar worked when Janet used it. Sweetness paid off with a new faucet and I am sure the positive review you gave him with his boss will go a long way in the future. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti, there's definitely pros & cons to living in a giant place like this--the next time I hear my neighbor playing videogames for 2 hours straight, I'm just going to go out to the kitchen and stare at my new faucet! :^)

      Delete
    2. LOL. You're a good guy. When you need to stare at your new faucet, just use some cotton or tissues in your ears to turn down the videogame volume. Just make sure you could still hear a fire alarm. Linda in Kansas

      Delete
    3. Haha you're very nice, thank you Linda :^)

      Delete
  8. I love that tap and wish I had a similar one, mine is just wrong for my sink and would be better in a laundry. But I'm stuck with it, so I got used to having to move everything out of the sink just to be able to fit my kettle there to fill up.
    I don't understand how people's sink drains get clogged, unless they're washing stray hair into them. Hair should NEVER be washed down any drain ever. It's the worst thing you can do to your drains. My drains are never clogged. my dad was a plumber/gas fitter, so I know things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River I'm sorry about your own kitchen faucet, mine was very... parallel to my sink, It was hard to fill certain things but I had no complaints--I just dont know a lot about this stuff. But when I moved in here 4 years ago, my bathroom sink drain was clogged too! Just a buildup of blank gunk over the years I guess!

      Delete
  9. I have a local wine shop (well, there are several, but one I shop at mostly) where the manger is really good – he recommends wines (although that’s mostly not needed as I’ve been drinking wine for longer than he’s been alive, but now and then he comes up with something interesting). He also helps me carry my purchases to my car (I buy a lot).
    He’s not just helpful to me, but others as well, I noticed. The shop is part of a chain and they have a website where one can say how good (or otherwise) the service was. I’ve been on several times saying what an admirable server he is.
    Alas, that backfired as he was promoted and sent to another larger store. His replacement is fine, but I’ll have to take time to break in another one.
    Hope your plumber isn’t whisked away to a better job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter I was sitting here thinking "Where's he going with this?" Ah... I'm sorry about your excellent wine-man moving on! But you do make an excellent point, I don't want to lose Jay! At least he's relatively new but thank you, you gave me something to think about :^)

      Delete
  10. Ha!!! Good one Doug! You should thank Janet for providing the bad example. Wouldn't she be surprised to know of your very positive outcome. Your post reminded me so much of my late Aunt Gladys. She always deployed her honeyed smile like a magic wand. Your new faucet is a beaut! And Jay is a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Florence, always love your comments! Well, I sure didn't mean to cast Janet in a bad light--we all get frustrated. And the important thing is, Jay DID tend to her before he saw me. (But I bet she didn't get a new faucet!) Your Aunt Gladys sounds like a smart lady, but her name alone makes me smile :^)

      Delete
  11. Well, that certainly worked out well for you. I'm glad you had both your drip fixed, and got a brand new faucet as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DJan, yes it did work out well; I know it's corny enough but I did learn a real lesson here :^)

      Delete
  12. Honey often does the trick -- you were wise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joared! You'd think that would be a no-brainer :^)

      Delete
  13. I'm impressed by your wisdom ... and also by how neat and clean your kitchen sink is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Doug! You've got my kitchen faucet now! No kidding! And yes, I know you're a honey of a guy. Actually, I feel bad I let loose on our solar panel company a few weeks back. I'll blame it on low glucose (so lacking honey) which affected my mood, plus I blame Art for telling me his frustration. Anyway, they did come right out and did something. I don't know what, but Art hasn't been venting on me too much about it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay, I'm sorry to hear about your solar panels, did I miss something on your blog? Anyway, I'm glad to hear I have a Kay faucet now and thanks for the kind honey comment :) I have to admit I smiled reading about Art, but you know all your readers love the guy, me included!

      Delete
  15. But yes, it's true though. I agree with you. People are happier to help if you're nicer and kinder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is that so tough to remember though, me included!

      Delete
  16. We had a new kitchen tap fitted in the last month. It looks okay but the pressure coming from the hot tap isn't as good as the old tap. Yours looks very smart. A nice bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joe, I'm sorry to hear that.. I wonder why that is with your hot water? I hope it's not a real bother... anyway, thanks for the nice comment about my own faucet, and you're exactly right--a nice bonus. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.