Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Any Blogger bloggers out there who would like some pages too?

 
Did you know there are 15 pages on my blog?  There’s the “Home” screen where you’re reading my latest jibber-jabber.  Then there’s an Introduction page, a Movies Review page of films I’ve recently seen, 10-11 “Film Genre” pages (where older film reviews are stored by genre, rating & year made) and finally, a page devoted to my dad’s music recordings in his heyday.

(Okay I also have “Page 16”, where I’ve stored several things that I wish to keep hidden until my passing.  Unlike the other pages, there are no links to it on my blog and it can only be accessed if you have the URL.)

That’s not creepy or anything, is it?

Anyway, another blogger I know, Rian of Older but Better? recently asked about adding additional pages to her own blog where she could share some of her other writings.  I thought in the off chance you would like to do the same, but aren’t sure where to begin, I could point you in the right direction.

FYI, this is ONLY for bloggers who use Blogger, aka Blogspot.  (I’m sorry Wordpress & Typepad!)

Okay, here we go!

1.  Make sure you’re logged into Google (or Blogger) and click on the ‘Design’ link in the banner at the top of your blog.

 

 

2. On your Blogger’s Design page, click on “Pages” in the lower left sidebar.

 

3. Click on “NEW PAGE”

 

4.  It looks like a blank post template.  Enter your new page’s title at the top, I typed “Doug’s Book Reviews”.   Enter your content below and don’t forget to indicate (on the right) whether you want this new page to allow reader comments. 

When done, press the Publish button.

 

5.  You’re returned to your list of pages.  There’s my new page shown at the top.

 

6.  However, when I return to my blog it’s not shown with the other pages.  We’ll need to return to the Blog Design page and make it appear manually.

 

7.  On your Blog Design page, click on Layout in the lower left sidebar

 

8.  Look for your Pages gadget.  If you have a “Home” link on your blog (right sidebar, under main title, left sidebar) your Pages gadget will be in the same place on your Layout.

(If you can find no Pages gadget, you will need to look for +Add a Gadget in your layout, click on it and add the Pages gadget before continuing.)

Click on Edit below the words Pages gadget.

 

9.  On the Configure Page List pop-up, click on ADD A NEW ITEM

 

10.  Click on the line below the words Page name.  No need to type this in, a list of your blog’s pages will appear, including the new one we created earlier. 

I clicked on the one I just created, Doug’s Book Reviews and the pages’s URL automatically filled in on the second line below.

Don’t forget to click SAVE at the bottom to exit your Page gadget.

 

11.  My new page is now displayed with the others on my blog.  Nerd smile

Finally, I should mention that you don’t have to have your pages in the sidebar, or under your blog title.  You can go on your layout page, click on Pages gadget and DRAG it under your main title if it’s not already there.  Or vice versa to the side.

Also, if you look at No. 9—Configure Page List—you can change the order in which your pages are displayed on your blog by clicking on the up & down arrows beside each page.  I hope this helps someone! 

29 comments:

  1. I used to have several pages but they have gone by the wayside due to privacy concerns of my family. I had mine as tabs though versus links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed. I figured someone like yourself would've had other pages. I wonder if there's a limit...🤔

      Delete
  2. By the way, I only see three pages. Where are the other 12 pages that can be seen before you die? I did check out your movie review page though. That is a lot of movies. Do you check it first before starting a new movie to make sure you haven't already watched it? I find myself doing that more and more these days, i.e. watching a movie that it turns out I saw before and just forgot until part way through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the other pages are at the top of the main Movies page. The link to my dad's music page is at the top of this blog (and also in a blog about my dad). I had to laugh at what you said about starting a new movie only to find you already watched it; me too Ed, me too! 😄

      Delete
    2. Ok, I got it now. I checked out the Fact not Fiction page and the first movie listed "My Octopus Teacher" is one of my recent favorites. I've watched it twice and enjoyed it tremendously both times. I also checked out your dad's music. I never knew about it until today but enjoyed listening to the flashback.

      Delete
    3. Ed, that's very kind of you. Thank you sir. 🙂

      Delete
  3. Fascinating! I wonder if typepad has such a thing, not that I have enough material to fill that many pages. I do have some links on my sidebar which may be a similar thing.(Book Club Reads for example)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I actually thought of you when I did a test page setup for this post! I've enjoyed checking out your book reviews, they're in a handy spot on your blog but they would probably look nice on their own page too. 🙂

      Delete
  4. Excellent tutorial Doug. Can't believe all the movies you have seen. I didn't see how to access your book reviews as I am more of a bookie. I always wondered what "pages" referred to on our dashboard. I have enough trouble coming up with material for a post so I may not use them. I do think this might help Rian with her problem. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, thanks so much! And if you want the truth, I've seen too many movies! As for book reviews, I really don't have a page for that. I just created a temporary one for this post. I know the pages aren't for everyone, but like you said I think they would be nice for Rian. PS. Speaking of books I'm almost done with Ron and Clint Howard's autobiography. Thank you so much for recommending that! 🙂👍

      Delete
  5. Dug, this is great! You've laid it out so simply, I should be able to do this. Thanks so much. But I won't start until I finished with the Sci Fi story I already put up (only Part 4 left anyway - unless I decide to go on with it). Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rian! If you decide to try it out and have any questions,let me know. I have to get over to your blog, I see you put up the next chapter! 🙂👍

      Delete
  6. Hi Doug, oh my goodness, lots of information! I really know nothing about computers. Judging by Rian's comment you helped her a lot.
    I popped over and listened to your Dad's music. It is wonderful Doug! Lovely you have this.
    Take care Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin! You're always so sweet, THANK YOU. 🙂♥️♥️

      Delete
  7. You are a great teacher Doug! I'm going to save a link to this post. You have reviewed a lot of movies! I like your Dad's music too. Soundcloud can be very handy. I need to completely rework my blog if I ever get a chance. Of course it might be nice if I just posted more regularly first. You have quite an organized and enjoyable blog. Thanks for this helpful post! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie...you are so dear, thanks very much! And you don't need to rework your blog, I think it's a very nice setup. But truthfully, after those terrific photos of your mom, I sure would love to see more of your family pics. 🙂♥️

      Delete
  8. Wow, Doug! Did I ever enjoy your movie reviews! What, Tammy Faye is dead? Like you, I loved the Wilderpeople from New Zealand. I can see that I've been missing out on a lot of good viewing. Maybe I should reactivate my Netflix account. 'A PLUS' grade for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence, you just made my night! Haha, ♥️ the A Plus, thanks my friend! 🙂

      Delete
  9. I only have the one page for my blog and if I added extra it would be for the chapters of stories I write for the Words for Wednesday challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool River, I didn't know you were a writer. 🙂👍

      Delete
    2. Check in on Fridays to see what the challenges (prompts)are and what I wrote, I currently have a continuing saga going that began some time last year.

      Delete
  10. That's a great way to add pages to your blog. I have WordPress, so it doesn't apply to me. I don't have much to add to my blog, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi, you have plenty of good stuff in your blog already. 🙂♥️👍

      Delete
  11. Doug, thanks for pointing out your other pages, because I didn't realize (or maybe just wasn't paying attention). So from now on I'll be checking your reviews before we go to the movies or turn to netflix. And meanwhile, I sure am impressed with your dad's band!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom! That was very nice of you to say 🙂🙂

      Delete
  12. You’ve really explained this beautifully, Doug. Hmmmm… This is actually a wonderful option that I’ve never heard of and wouldn’t even have attempted without your wonderful explanations. I love your movie reviews! This is too fabulous! Thank you for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this. There are a number of things I'd like to do to improve my blog but figuring it all out is not always easy. You've explained this really well for my understanding. I need to list topics and have links from my blog posts become available under each with a simple click.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joared, you're very nice. I need to check out your blog!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.