Thursday, November 17, 2022

It sounds like a Hallmark movie: The Magic of Mom’s Christmas Reindeer

Can I share something both corny and strange but true?  As I’ve never married and always lived alone, I’ve never really done any holiday decorating.

(That changed a couple years ago, I do a little decorating now for Christmas.)

Anyway, before my mom died in 2004, this always frazzled her.  One year in the mid-1990s when I was back home for my birthday, Mom asked what kind of decorations I had up in my apartment. 

When I said I didn’t decorate for Halloween, she almost blew a gasket.  “But it’s your BIRTHDAY!”

She offered to buy me a truckload of spooky fixins, I declined.  So the very next year, she gave me an oversized Jack-o-lantern mug filled with candy. 

She said “Can you at least set this ONE thing out for Halloween and make your old mother happy?”  I actually liked the mug very much, and for the last 25 years or so, I’ve set it out every October.

It was a few years after that, around 1999 or 2000, when I went home for Christmas for a couple days.  Dad was still with us (just barely) and we were going to open one gift each on Christmas Eve.  Mom wanted me to open something small she got me, and the package was squishy & soft, and I assumed it was a ski cap and gloves.  But when I tore off the wrapping, there was a small reindeer inside. 

It had a goofy face & antlers, and it was VERY soft, silky to the touch.  It’s toy fur sparkled with glints of silver, and it wore a jingle bell collar.  Mom said “I know you’re a Grinch when it comes to Christmas and don’t decorate your bachelor pad—but I thought you could set this ONE thing out on a chair or your bed.  Would that be asking too much?” 

Every year after that, I plopped that goofy plush reindeer on the pillows on my bed or on my couch a couple weeks before Christmas.  I became pretty fond of that little guy, especially after Mom died. 

This went on for 15 years, until 2016 when I made the ill-fated decision to give up my apartment in the city and move back to my hometown.  I kept that reindeer in a large Macy’s bag with holiday gift wrap & bows, which was lost somehow in the move.  

I wasn’t even aware it was missing for a couple months, until Christmas rolled around.  But there was nothing I could do.  How in the world could I replace a toy reindeer my mom had given me 16 years before? 

A few months later, in April 2017 I moved back to the city and life went on.

And then a couple nights ago, I go on Ebay to look for some old-school Sony headphones for my MP3 player.  I notice on my ‘homepage’ there are various categories of items if you scroll down the page far enough.  Items I’ve bought in the past, Related Items, Household items, Electronics, Vintage stuffed animals. 

Vintage stuffed animals??  I’ve never bought a stuffed animal in my life, vintage or otherwise.  And suddenly I see it—Mom’s Christmas reindeer.


You’ve gotta believe me, I was NOT looking for this toy.  Mine was lost 5-6 years ago, I had no knowledge who made it, no recollection of it’s name.  But the moment I saw those antlers, the red COMET name-tag and “tinsel fur”, I knew this was the same one. 

Shocked, I hit that ‘Buy it Now’ button.  (Oh and I got my 2013 Sony earphones too.)

The little guy arrived via the mail just 3 days later, and here it is.  It looks and feels EXACTLY like the one I lost 5 years ago.  And I know this sounds terribly corny, but I feel like my mom has somehow worked a little of her holiday magic again.

42 comments:

  1. Oh Doug, such a happy ending! I love you were able to find another reindeer!
    My older brother and I were very close growing up and when he went away to university I was sad for quite awhile. Christmas came and my brother being a poor student I didn’t expect or want anything for Christmas, just him coming home. Christmas morning we were opening presents and there was one for me from my brother. It was a soft, squishy stuffed animal. I loved it! I later learned from my brothers roommate that it was from a facial tissue company here in Canada. You had to send in so many UPC thingy’s from the boxes to get it. My brother had gone through recycling boxes every recycling day to collect the UPC’s until he had enough. I still have the stuffed animal 40 years later.
    Take care Doug.❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin, and I am very sorry I'm reading your wonderful comment here 5-6 hours after you took the time to write it--it went to my spam folder! C'mon Blogger, what the heck! Anyway Robin, that's so sweet your brother did that, and sweeter still you have it all these years later. Well, this reindeer isn't the one my mom gave me 22 years ago, but it sure is close enough. I hope you're all better! :^)

      Delete
    2. We are better Doug. Chuck went back to work this past Monday.

      Delete
  2. How very sweet! I love that little guy. Thanks for sharing your latest "visit" with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DJan-- that really is just what happened, I'm happy he's back. :^)

      Delete
  3. That didn’t make me barf, Doug. I thought it was a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet story Doug and I am so glad the reindeer is back where he belongs. Could it be the same one?? I do like the idea of your Mom having a hand in this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti! This isn't the one I owned (it came in Hallmark packaging with a Comet name-tag from its ear, plus the seller was from Alabama) but it seems the same to me--and feels like it came from my mom too. Who knows... :^)

      Delete
  5. Your mom definitely worked her magic. The connection is clear and a very lovely feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet. You had a wonderful mother and she would be so happy that you are decorating again. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joyce... this deer did inspire me to buy a couple more holiday items for the place. :^)

      Delete
  7. Aw! What a nice story, you big softie! Yes, it was your mother. Yes it was magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--thanks Debby! I really think that too--why else would Ebay put this on my homepage!

      Delete
  8. I love this story, Doug! It made me a little weepy. We don't need many decorations but the ones we do treasure are those with special memories attached.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret... thank you. You are very sweet and that was well said. My gosh so true!

      Delete
  9. Your Mom's Christmas magic. Wonderful. Best story I've read in weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia, this was such a sweet thing to say--thank you! :^)

      Delete
  10. What an amazing find! So, store him in a clear baggie instead of a paper bag, so he won't accidentally walk out the door! My kid had a stuffed golden retriever that looked pretty ratty after a few years. I tried to replace it with a new one. Oh no, that wasn't going to work; he's kept the ratty one. I kept the new one. Your dear deer does look so cute and comfy. I like the pumpkin mug too: just enough of a spooky smile, but still a bit of a friendly grin. I find it more fun as a single person to go to the malls or big center and look at all of their decorations, rather than going through the hassle of putting mine out. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thank you my friend I always enjoy your comments so much. 🙂♥️👍

      Delete
  11. Aww! What a wonderful story! Your very own Christmas miracle. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Dolla Bobi! I hope you are good. 🙂

      Delete
  12. "I feel like my mom has somehow worked a little of her holiday magic again." You bet she did! There is magic in Christmas... and there's magic in love... so, when you put them together, anything can happen. Merry Christmas Dug! Love the reindeer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian, thank you for these special words. It's funny, the older I get the less corny stuff like this is. I wonder why that is.. 🤔🙂♥️

      Delete
  13. How wonderful to find a gift from your mother. I truly believe she had a hand in your Christmas miracle. Even if you had to pay for it. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--nicely said, thank you Maebeme. 🙂👍

      Delete
  14. No wonder you were surprised by the sweet little 'Comet' double of your Mom's gift appearing on E-Bay. Such a cutie! By the way, your new chair looks wonderful there with the accent pillow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence, you're very sweet. Of course, you score bonus points for the remarks about my new chair and that red pillow! Thank you my friend! 🙂👍

      Delete
  15. I’ve lived alone since my marriage fell apart in 1973 (we were married in late 1971, so it wasn’t the longest on record). Since then I’ve not bothered with Christmas decorations either. That is, except for one year in the late seventies...
    I constructed an ersatz Christmas tree consisting of a candle suspended from the ceiling with the chains twisted with tinsel. It looked rather good. I didn’t light the candle as it might have caught the tinsel on fire and burnt down the apartment.
    Anyway, this remained in place for two and a half years before I took it down. I haven’t bothered with decorations since.

    I really like your reindeer. I have several stuffed bilbies, but they are more for Easter than Christmas (replacing rabbits which are feral animals here, and we want to get rid of them – the rabbits that is).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I enjoyed that makeshift tree of yours but boy did you go the non-traditional route! Us bachelors are a different breed but you take the cake my friend. I hope your tuneful friend Norma the Musicologist does a little more of the tinsel than yourself :^)

      Delete
    2. Nope, she’s even less inclined to do that than I am.

      Delete
  16. I like the reindeer but I LOVE the Halloween mug. I think it's nice that you are decorating even a little for Christmas after all these years. I might twist a strand of tinsel over the porch rail, then again, I may not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you River, nice to see some love for that Halloween mug I love it too! You gave me a real smile this morning with your twist of tinsel on the porch rail--too much! :^)

      Delete
  17. That is simply amazing! I love this story. Your mother was truly a loving mom, and I am glad she was and is still part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very sweet of you, thank you Gigi! 🙂👍

      Delete
  18. Oh Doug. Now you've done it. You made me cry. This is such a beautiful story and yes, I like to think your mom had a spirit hand in this. That is the CUTEST reindeer. I can see why your mom bought it for you. Well, I like that mug too. It has personality, just like your reindeer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, you're very sweet.. you almost made me tear up here a little. Thanks very much my friend. :^)

      Delete
  19. Would be fun to find out who the seller was, and where they got it. Or maybe you're better off not knowing. Either way ... a Christmas miracle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom--well, it came in it's original (20 year old) tags, but the seller doused it with a bottle of Fabreze so who knows where it's been. :^) Still glad I got it though.

      Delete
  20. Eeee this is adorable!!

    I once read about a missing book turning up at a book sale.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.