Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Wait, was that all it took? When it pays to speak up, 3 times over

We’re all familiar with the proverb about bad luck coming in threes, but good things do likewise, right?  Here are 3 recent good things, 3 days in a row.

1. They made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.  If you recall my numbers blog on Jan 13, I wrote that my landlord had done their customary yearly rent increase.

But instead of a $20 rent increase this year, it was $30.

I don’t know why I did this (I suppose I’m always looking for a way to save a buck), but the day I received my lease, I sent Steiner Realty this email below:

Steiner, I received my new lease and will be returning it (signed) this week.  I wasn’t happy about the $30 increase, but I know it’s fair. 

I would like to say though, that since moving here April 2017, my rent has increased $110.00.  The increases have been reasonable, I’m aware of the rate hikes for water, gas & trash pickup that are included in our rent.

At the same time, I’m retired on a fixed income.  I was wondering if next year we could begin alternating the rent increases?  Allow me to sign a 2 year lease instead of 1?   

This place is more than just an apartment—it’s my home.  I want to keep it that way.  Thanks for your attention, you guys are good people.  

Steiner texted me and said “Douglas we appreciated your letter and agree to your terms, starting now if you’d like.  We’re sending a new lease.”

That’s it at the top, a two year lease keeping my rent the same until Apr 2025.  Nerd smile

2.  I feel the need…. for speed!    

For the last year or so, I’ve been noticing a decline in my broadband internet.  Xfinity, what the heck am I paying you $75.00 a month for?

Still, it wasn’t a terrible inconvenience.  I just ran into problems if I had multiple devices connected to the internet at the same time, so if I was streaming something on tv I’d pause it if I wanted to get on my tablet or laptop. 

But this past Saturday I noticed things had gone too far downhill.  The movie I was streaming kept freezing, and getting on the internet was a no-go. 

I was fed up and contacted Xfinity Customer Support. 

They asked if I checked my connections were secure, I wearily said “Of course they are, and please don’t ask me to restart my router and other devices, I’ve done all that a couple times over.” 

They said they’d attempt a “remote restart”, but came back and said the connection was too weak, they’d have to send a service technician.  Was Tuesday morning okay?  Yes, dammit!  I mean, yes please!  Finally!

I went to dust off the router (it sits on the floor beside my bedroom dresser) and tugged the coaxial cable to ensure it was connected.  It was, but I noticed the tiniest jiggle as it has a push-in connector, not a screw-in. 

I had a spare cable with a screw-in connector, would that make a difference?  I swapped out the cable and my broadband sprang to life. 

My download speed shot up from 3.79mps to 85.90?!  My internet is blazing fast now, and I can stream HBO Max while on my phone, laptop and tablet all at the same time--crazy!  Tighten your broadband connector—you just might be surprised. 

My bad, Xfinity. Embarrassed smile

3.  And finally… “please sir, may I have some more?”     

For a couple years now, I’ve been going to the market after Meet The Press on Sunday for my Sunday Dinner.  I buy potatoes, a couple veggies and usually a slice of ham or couple pieces of fried chicken from Kuhn’s Hot Deli.

When I went there this past Sunday, I noticed they raised the prices of the fried chicken thighs from $1.25 each to $1.50.

I asked the deli worker (Charlene, who’s in charge) for 2 thighs and she put two into a clear bag.

I said “Hmph, they may cost 20% more, but they sure aren’t 20% bigger.”   I figured she’d just smirk and tell me to have a nice day, but she took her tongs and placed a third smaller thigh in the bag.  I said “Hey I only wanted 2.”

Charlene said “And that’s all you’re paying for.  Have a good one.”

Charlene, will you marry me?

 

33 comments:

  1. Great job, Doug! We often think that speaking up and asking for what we what won't get us anywhere and sometimes it doesn't, but other times people are sympathetic. I'm sure Steiner wants to keep you as a tenant; you're quiet, responsible and sane! (unlike a few others you've described)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret! I admit, I tend to grumble about things but with age comes a little courage, I guess... Thank you again for this nice comment. ๐Ÿ™‚

      Delete
  2. Hi Doug, what a good news post! As Margaret says you are a great tenant so they should be happy to do what it takes to keep you. I would never have thought that changing out a cable would make such a difference in your download speed. Hmm, now I better go check ours! Charlene was a sweetie to pop in an extra chicken thigh. Again, I imagine you are a loyal customer there so why not reward you.
    Enjoy the rest of your week.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, you're very sweet--thank you for this wonderful comment :^) And YES--I assumed the broadband cable was like an electric cord, you either get the power or you don't. It doesn't work the same way! Hope all is good with you & Chuck my friend, thanks again.

      Delete
  3. LOL. The picture of you dropping to one knee to propose to Charlene while holding your three pieces of fried chicken to your chest just strikes me square in my funny bone. That's great. You have had a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Debby, and I think Tim can agree--nothing much is sexier than a woman and her food ;^)

      Delete
  4. I've found that if you are nice when you speak up, people respond in a more positive manner. Kind words are like honey and will often result in the outcomes like you mention above. Congrats on your good results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RCS; when I wrote to my landlord, I really was trying to see things from their perspective. And you're right, a little kindness goes a long way. Why is it so hard to remember that?

      Delete
  5. I wish I could have such luck with my rent increase. It was $95 this past increase, and there is no way they would let me go so long. They have become quite predictable. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh DJan, I am sorry. I honestly thought about you when I sent this email to my own landlord. I wondered if you'd have similar results, but I know you live in a very sought after area. $95.00, awful. I need to count my blessings. ๐Ÿ˜”

      Delete
  6. Well that was a good idea Mr. Dug! I lived in a rental house for 13 years. The landlord was a retired real estate agent. She let me sign 3 year leases for the same rent rate, but later put in the right to increase rent up to no more than 3% each year just because her lawyer advised it. She never did. Even before and after she died, I was offered first dibs on the house, but it wasn't worth owning due to the basement flooding. Just wait until you tell that new grumpy guy! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, and thank you for sharing your own story. A 3-year lease is nice! But so is a 3% tops rent increase, nicer still she didn't do it. Sounds like she really liked you. Well, I have no intention of telling my grumpy new neighbor about my new deal. I just wish he realized how lucky he is, to have a new tub and new flooring. The tenant before him really pushed for those before they moved in, now I wish I had've done the same. ๐Ÿค”

      Delete
  7. You really had a good week! It’s nice to know there are still nice people out there, you, Steiner and Charlene. And don’t you hate it when tech problems are an easy fix that you never thought about? Good thing you had the other connector. I know nothing techie besides restart. ๐Ÿ˜Š Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joyce--even with the rent bump, I feel fortunate to have Steiner as my landlord. It's an old building that they manage very well. As for tech, I know little as well--that was just a weird (and hopeful) guess on my part, I got lucky! :^)

      Delete
  8. Speaking up and doing it nicely certainly worked well for you in all 3 of those situations. And Dug, I really like that picture of your mom and dad in 1971!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rian, and thank you so much for noticing that photo of my mom & dad--it just makes me happy looking at it, and getting nice comments like yours. :^)

      Delete
  9. What?! Your new speed is 85.90?! Didn't even know it was possible. I've been bragging to everyone about my download speed of 10.94 Mbps. Guess I'll just fall silent on the subject from now on. I must say Doug, your letter writing is A+. You would have made an excellent diplomat! And Charlene obviously has a soft spot for you. So nice to read some good news for a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence, you just made me laugh--a couple weeks ago I would've been very envious of your 11mps. You should check your own connection. And thank you for the letter comp, I was very careful how I worded that email to them. I wonder if it made the difference?

      Delete
  10. Well done Doug. I'm sure having a two year lease, will give you some peace of mind.
    Oops on the internet thing. I usually leave the problems up to my son, as he understands the issues far better than I do.
    As for the Charlene - I'm sure if you marry her she'll fry the chicken for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme, and peace of mind--you are 100% spot on correct. As for the internet thing, I got lucky. As for Charlene, I hope she didn't take that proposal seriously haha :^)

      Delete
  11. How did Charlene jump to the head of your line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--Joanne, it's the classic "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach". It works everytime. ๐Ÿ˜‰

      Delete
  12. Your speed seems very slow. I have Spectrum and my download speed is 459. It might be in your interest to have Xfinity check your router.
    DavidH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, I can't even imagine 459, but I live alone and don't use more than 2 devices at a time. My speed has never been better :^)

      Delete
  13. I got lease increases without even asking for them. My first year here I had two inspections to make sure I wasn't ripping out doors and using them to make campfires in the living room (exaggeration, but you know what I mean) and everything was found to be okay, I was never behind on my rent or any of my bills. The lease was renewed. At the end of the second year they gave me a five year lease! When that ran out the next one was for ten years! I'm in a public housing flat/unit, not private apartments or a house.
    I don't know what my download speed is and don't much care, I do know that Australia is one of the slowest countries for broadband that we pay too much for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing River, sounds like you've got a pretty good bargain. A few years ago I saw some govt housing for seniors, with super low rent. They were beautiful! But you had to have very limited income to live there. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

      Delete
    2. That's the same as what we have here, government/public/social housing, it's all the same and to qualify you have to be on a low income.

      Delete
  14. Good things happen in threes. I am so happy for you. What a boost to your morale.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It pays to politely question as money matters. You've done well in holding costs during a time when costs are escalating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, I've heard some bad rent increase stories this year, so I feel very lucky. :^)

      Delete
  16. What a very happy post for me to read this morning. Yay, Doug! I am REALLY happy for you. I love it when these unexpected things happen to brighten our day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! I know I can go on too much, so this was very sweet of you. :^)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.