Monday, April 17, 2023

RIP James “Jimmy” B, the man I both wanted & didn’t want to become

A couple days ago while up the street, I stopped in my barber shop to say hi to Roe (my lady barber) and schedule an appointment for next week.  I was pleasantly surprised to see this on the wall, a framed photo montage of my friend Jim, who died this past October at age 74. 

Jim’s life was that barbershop.  He didn’t work there, more like the shop’s mascot and occasional gopher—but it’s where he spent much of his time for 25 years.  He never owned a computer or cellphone, but kept up to date with everything in the world and was happy to give you an earful if and when provoked.  He managed to tick off half the women he knew, but still had those same women cooking for him.  Everyone loved him.

I first met Jim in the spring of 1999, shortly after he moved into my old apartment building.  One night I was downstairs in the back, talking to Janice (who lived below me) when we saw a chubby, balding man walking away from Janice’s neighbor Teresa’s car. 

Teresa (a retired bank manager in her 70s) got out and shouted “If I’m going to make you dinner then you’d better help with these groceries!”  The man turned around and headed back to her car.  Janice turned to me and said “I think Teresa’s found herself a gigolo.”

Teresa’s “gigolo” was Jimmy B, who recently moved into our building.  He’d been living just a couple streets over with his mother until she passed in February.  Never married and in his fifties, he was on his own for the first time.  And in his first month there, managed to get a couple of the older women in our building to cook for him on occasion.  It went on for many years, too. 

So in those pre-Covid years, before the barbershop became ‘By Appointment Only’ and was filled with a dozen guys waiting for a haircut (myself included), Jim would often pull me into his talks to the crowd.  “Doesn’t ANYONE know a single lady we can fix Doug up with?  He’s loaded!  Doug—tell everyone how much money you have!”

He also liked to share recent (and past) going-ons at our apartment building, and used me as his back-up:  “Doug, remember that night those two meth-heads on your floor nearly burned the place down?  And everyone was evacuated in the middle of the night, except for me because I never heard them pounding on my door?  Tell everyone what Teresa told the firemen when they asked who lived in #203!”

In my best Teresa voice, I said “Oh, that’s just Jim in there—let the man sleep.  Or burn for all I care.”

Sometimes when Jim napped or left to get lunch at the Rusty Nail, some newbie would ask who Jim was and what he did for a living, and one of the other regulars would tell Jim’s story.  Jim was an accounting clerk for Gulf Oil, in the US Steel Building downtown.  In 1984, Chevron Oil acquired Gulf and offered all the Gulf employees a huge severance package.  You could either take a $40,000 cash payout, or 50K in Chevron stock.

Everyone took the cash—Jim took the stock.  “Jim why’d you take the payout in stock?”  “Because my dad always said, do the OPPOSITE of what everyone else is doing!”

Jim’s 50K of Chevron stock split when the Gulf takeover became public, then split again and again.  In a matter of weeks, his shares had quadrupled.  He was 35 years old, and would never work again.

I loved that story, and Jim’s flimsy knowledge of stocks (that still managed to keep him in clover for 40 years) helped inspire me to take my own savings and put it in the market many years ago.

I used to tell everyone I was going to be the next Jimmy B—until I early-retired in 2015 and the barbers invited me to spend more time at the barbershop.  I said “I’m not going to be the next Jimmy B!”

Sadly, when the pandemic struck in 2020 and the barbershop closed down for nearly a year, Jim had nowhere to go.  I invited him to visit me at my new apartment, he was invited to several people’s homes—but he declined most of the offers.  He missed the days of a ‘full shop’. 

When the barbershop finally reopened, but with one barber and ‘by appointment only’, Jim checked himself into New Hope Nursing Home.  He told us he had an audience there, and a staff to prepare all his meals and even help give him a bath twice a week. 

Roe told him to get the hell out of there, that’s where old people go to die, but he didn’t listen.  And one year later, this past October, Jim died in his sleep.  Gone too soon, but I suspect he was pretty happy there.  There will certainly never be another Jimmy B.

32 comments:

  1. What a sweet but sad story. The pandemic changed the lives of many all over the world, and I still miss some activities I had to let go. My yoga studio closed because of it and I'll never find another one like that one. Good story about an interesting guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DJan, you're certainly right that pandemic changed the lives of many. I've wondered if Jimmy would still be here if he didn't go to that nursing home, he was in pretty good shape, never drank or smoked. I miss him.

      Delete
  2. Jim B sounds like quite the character. We had a number of those in my small town, except for meals they tended to go to funeral lunches. (Our post office had a space where funeral cards were posted). I'm sure they had other options for meals too.
    My Dad went into the nursing home at the age of 96. While much older than Jim B, he had a similar reaction. One of our funniest memories is of Dad telling cousin Bob, that it was nice place - they'd even wipe your bum for you. :) Jim found what he needed there too, and while sad he died too soon, he was somewhere he was cared for to the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Maebeme, funeral lunches! Haha my goodness. Well you're exactly right, Jim was quite the character but he was always a lot of fun and those barbers loved him. Thank you for sharing your dad's story that gave me a chuckle, and wow 96. We should all be that lucky. 🙂

      Delete
  3. RIP, Jimmy. Well, he sounds like a character, very extroverted and sociable. Likeable, too. So sorry he died so young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've made Jimmy B. real to me by your stories of him and his personality. There are many like him who find their circle of companionship in interesting ways. There are a few women who hang around at the grocery store and at the local Sbux. I don't think they're homeless--but they are lonely and seeking the company of people, a sort of tenuous connection with others' lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, and well said. Jim loved local sports, but he didn't like to read or watch TV or see movies. He just liked people a lot. And boy is he missed.

      Delete
  5. What a great tribute and story. Jimmy was a character who loved people and entertaining others. I'm sure he brought smiles and laughter to all. The barbershop was his stage and he made you his wing man. Jimmy had lots of stories to tell. His smart stock decision made him a windfall. Sadly, Covid certainly was a factor in Jimmy's decline. Darn that Covid. RIP Jimmy, you are missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, you are very nice--thank you, you summed Jim up very well. And I couldn't agree more, Covid was Jim's downfall alright (and the poor guy never even had it). Thanks again Susan.

      Delete
  6. Hi Doug, what an interesting story! Jimmy was definitely a man who lived a different life. Here in our small town we used to have an old time barber shop with a great mix of people stopping by. Sadly with Covid it closed down. So sorry Jimmy passed away.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin! Thanks for reading and your (always thoughtful) comment. He did certainly lead a different life--he used to take the Sunday paper downtown and read it in the William Penn Hotel's lobby Sunday mornings, he disliked being cooped up. Well, I'm sorry about your own old-time barber shop, maybe in time these establishments will come back... :^)

      Delete
  7. What a nice tribute - a man who loved people and was loved and appreciated in return. Your description brought him to life for us. Sounds like the memory of him will live on for you and for him via your blog and the collage at the barbershop. A kind effort on your part and the barbershop's. Sorry Jimmy died so young but he can certainly be applauded for deciding and taking care of him arrangements. Love his stock investment story - "small guy does good." Kim in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, this was such a nice comment on your part--thanks so much. I wondered a lot about sharing Jim's story, this was much appreciated. :^)

      Delete
  8. I love your stories somehow they always remind me of Charles Kuralt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobi, I sure am glad I saw this before I went to bed--you just made my day--I mean night! Thank you my friend :^)

      Delete
  9. What a splendid tribute to Jim you’ve written there, Doug.

    If only I’d have invested in Microsoft, Google, whatever. I was certainly around before those companies existed, so I could have. Oh well.

    The last time I went to a barber’s (or hairdresser) was in 1961. I cut my own hair. When you have curly hair like mine you can’t tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, and this is the God's honest truth--in 1998 I stumbled across Netflix on the internet (they only had 500 dvds at the time brand new) and when I told people I was getting movies in the mail at work, they just laughed and said it was a dumb fad. I wish I'd invested in it when I had the chance. As for your curly hair, I envy you--my dad cut mine once in the early 60s and said never again. :^)

      Delete
  10. Dug, I enjoyed Jimmy’s story. You never know how one person’s life may have an effect on other people. It just goes to show that you don’t have to be famous (or handsome, powerful or rich) to be loved…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Rian. Sorry, my IPad says anonymous (?)

      Delete
    2. Rian, this was so nicely said. Thanks very much (and for letting me know who you are!)

      Delete
  11. A real character for sure. 74 is too young to die. My dad died at 74 but he was a heavy smoker and got lung cancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River, and you're absolutely right, 74 is too young. I'm so sorry about your own dad. Mine died of the same, but much younger, 63. I can't believe I'll be the same age as Dad next year.

      Delete
    2. My sister is 74 now, in her words "I'm not old"

      Delete
  12. We are just beginning to acknowledge the damage that resulted from our forced (and largely unnecessary) social isolation during that time - most of the coverage has been on school children and how far they fell behind, but the impact on seniors was just as harmful. What you wrote is an eloquent tribute, but this is still a very sad story, and I'm sure there are thousands more just like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much David, this was nicely said. I honestly don't know if the forced isolation was helpful or not but I think you're right that it had a pretty devastating effect on kids and older people like Jimmy. I sure do miss him.

      Delete
  13. I do believe that Jimmy had the chance to be exactly who Jimmy chose to be. He died at the end of his days having done it 'his waaaaaaaaaaay.' We should all be so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby. Well, I'm sure he was in his happy place but I can't help but wonder if it was the best place for him. I just feel like he should still be here. 😔

      Delete
  14. Just stopped by to see the latest at the Teepee and ended up with a big smile. Great story about Jim! Doug, you should write a book … this post would make a perfect chapter. 😊 Hope you are doing well and have a fine week ahead! John PS Always appreciate your replies to my comments but don’t want you to feel obligated. It’s great when they happen but I know time may not permit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much John, you're one of the most gracious people I know. And I hope you don't feel obligated to read MY responses, I just like to show people (like yourself) how much I appreciate your input. I sure hope you have a good week ahead too. :^)

      Delete
  15. What a touching Tribute to your Friend, he was Wise to take the Stock. I still get Quarterly Dividends from Stock Options I took over Fifty Years ago and never paid a Dime for, in lieu of Bonuses that everyone else took. I think Jim's Dad and mine had similar Sage Wisdom to impart to their Kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Bohemian, I was just at that barber shop today getting my monthly haircut and reminiscing with Roe about Jimmy. To be very honest, we still can't believe he's gone. Anyway, that's very cool about your own stock options and dividends. I have to admit I have a love for investing! 🙂

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.