And then one night I got off the bus after work and saw a sign in CVS window, a 'Final Sale' on GE light bulbs. For years I'd been buying the Reveal bulbs, they were the perfect tone of white/not too bright. I went in, grabbed a cart and put around 30 4-pk boxes of light bulbs in it. Every 60 watt Reveal they had in stock.
I almost did a blog about this 15 years ago, but when I saw the top of my linen closet filled with light bulbs, I thought it looked a little crazy. Still, as everyone flocked to the newer bulbs I rubbed my hands together and went "Heh heh!" and continued using my old school energy-inefficient bulbs.
Around 4 years ago, I stopped using them in my bedroom to make my inventory last longer for my living room. And now, I'm down to my final bulb. So until this one burns out, I will get to hold onto that old timey incandescent glow just a little while longer.
Speaking of the bedroom (and my lamp in there), do you see the denim floor pillow on the right? I bought that pillow way back around 1990-91, when I lived in my first apartment in the city. My sister Shawn often drove up for the weekend, and we'd go to Waterworks Mall, do some shopping, see a movie, sometimes have dinner there too.
There was a Pier 1 Imports we always visited and where I got that pillow--they had some cool stuff.
I don't use the pillow regularly--only when I get a backache. I'll take a book and sit on the floor and prop myself up against Old Blue. It's very dense but squishy soft.
Over the years I've wiped it down with a damp washcloth, what else can I do? It's not like I can throw it in a washer. And then 2 days ago I was wiping it off and my washcloth snagged on something--a pull tab for a zipper. I've owned this pillow 35 years and didn't know I could remove the cover.
It was difficult, but I managed to unzip and remove the denim cover and soaked it in some Tide and cold water. The water turned yellow in a couple minutes. The pillow insert inside was surprisingly white and the manufacturer tag read Pier1 Imports 1990, 100% goose down.
Anyway, I guess Ol' Blue is good another 35 years!
I saved the best for last. This one's a biggie. Back in 2012, DC Comics announced Paul Levitz had written a GINORMOUS BOOK COVERING THE DIFFERENT AGES OF DC COMICS.
For you non-comic experts out there, older comic books are broken down into 3 ages:
The Golden Age, from 1935-1956
The Silver Age, from 1956-1969
The Bronze Age, from 1970-1984
I began reading DC comics in the late sixties, and stopped collecting them in 1984. I still read reprints on occasion, no interest in the current stuff.
Anyway, I wanted this book--at the same time, I didn't want it. Where the heck would I put it? Fortunately, DC came to their senses and re-issued the book in a smaller format, broken up by the ages. But they were still LARGE volumes and weigh 10 pounds each.
So look what I bought 15 years ago... love those foil covers.
I paid $59.95 each for them back in 2011-2012, and they've been in my closet all these years. They've also become collector's items, the Silver Age book with the Flash on it? It retails for $455.00 now.
Believe it or not, mine are in mint condition. They're still in their plastic shrink wrap. (That wasn't my intention, I just never got around to opening them.)
And finally, here was a nice little surprise. When I was removing these from their paper sacks for this blog post, I was surprised to see each book had an alternate cover on the reverse. Nice. 😎






Hey Doug,
ReplyDeleteLike you, I'm a DC comics fan and always been. My favorite era is the silver age because of the art work, probably influenced by pop art (especially the go go checks period) and psychedelia. I've amassed a pretty good collection, a lot of it acquired from comic cons through the years (have you ever attended them?). That Paul Levitz book is huge! It's about as big as this Taschen book of photos of Marilyn Monroe I saw at specialty bookstore. You'd need a sizeable and sturdy tote bag to lug that thing.
Steve from Toronto
Hi Steve, that's so cool about your own comics background. I sure wish I had known you when we were kids, I only knew one other kid who read comics and he was a Marvel fan. Yes, my favorite was the Silver Age too--Curt Swan will always be my favorite Superman artist. I sure wish I could see your collection! I sold my own collection in college, hardest thing I've ever done. Never been to a comic con, but I'm sure I'd love it. Thanks for sharing, Go Go Steve! 😊🤜🤛
DeleteI knew I found a kindred spirit here. I too sold my collection when I was going to university, but my interest in collecting old comics was rekindled when I stepped into a comic shop back in the nineties and discovered comic cons. I'm also a fan of Curt Swan's, especially when his artwork is inked by George Klein in the sixties and Murphy Anderson in the seventies. Incidentally, I got to meet Murphy Anderson at a comic show here in the late nineties. What a nice guy. I can send over some pics of my collection in attachments thru email.
DeleteSteve
I'd love to see your pics Steve, and wow that's incredible about meeting Murphy Anderson--how many times did we see his name on the first pages of those books! So many great artists from back then.. :^)
DeleteSometimes I scare myself when I realize how long I have owned something. And how old that makes me, lol. I do have unreal attachments to inanimate objects and a hard time letting go of things. I did empty my closet this year and forced myself to remember how long ago I last wore some items. Ten years ago? Twenty years ago? Thirty years ago? Did some things return to the closet? Do I still own dress from high school that I have not worn since high school?
ReplyDeleteMeanwhile, I believe the story about the pillow. An invisible zipper! They are even marketed that way!