Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and this beholder likes green skinned women

Well... what do you think?  Maybe you shouldn't answer that.  I'm referring to the new artwork above my bed.  All I know is, I love it.  For the past couple years I've been looking for something to hang there.  

I didn't know what I wanted, I just knew:

  1. Nothing too colorful or busy--my bedroom is my zen zone.
  2. I wanted something modern, minimalist.
  3. It had to be lightweight so I wouldn't worry about it falling down on my head!

I saw this piece above, Nude Woman in Green on an e-canvas site and liked it immediately.  I've got a wooden cross and a couple other artworks on the walls, a sepia Starship Enterprise across from my bed and an "Incan-style" mini-print beside my bookcase, so I'd say my bedroom is pretty much done for wall decor.

Maybe it's time I started shopping for a new bed.  Just kidding!  I love my hippie bed.

The primitive art beside my bookcase and the sepia-toned Enterprise opposite my bed

I thought I'd share this too-- A year or so ago, I bought a map of Pittsburgh for the wall beside my television.  I loved it but it was small, only 18" x 24". 

So last week when I got a 50% off coupon from the same map site on Etsy, I looked for a similar but larger map.  I found it and the perfect 24" x 32" natural frame.  I love it.

I did try hanging a more traditional piece of art there, a row of different colored mountains in assorted colors.  But it was too busy right next to my tv.  And at night it just looked very dark.

I like the whiteness & simplicity of this minimalist map for this space.  I'll hang more colorful stuff elsewhere.

I plan to buy 2 more art pieces, the first is for the accent wall in my dining room.  

I want something oversized, a stretched canvas with an Asian influence.  I have it narrowed down to a few I really like.

The second piece I want is a small wooden, fabric or metal wall hanging to place alongside this wonderful Veloy Vigil.  


I paid a small fortune for this print in the 1990s, and another small fortune to have it professionally framed with museum glass.  I should post a better photo, it's gorgeous.  It's been in storage since I retired and moved a few years back.  It's not a big piece, but it's heavy and will need a wall anchor.  I'd like to see it hanging up above my couch, but it needs something up there with it. 

Well, I think I'll go take a look at my green woman again.  I can't seem to get enough of her.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Doug, I love it! You've got good taste in art, and I also am with you in minimalism. That Vigil piece would look great on a wall once you've found a place for it; it already looks nice on the sofa. Custom framing is indeed expensive - I had a job done on an Alphonse Mucha print a friend gave to me (he bought a boxful of them from his trip to Prague). Well done, my friend.
    Steve from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, much appreciated my Silver Age friend. And I bet that Alphomse Mucha print is a real thing of Victorian style beauty. 🙂

      Delete
  2. It's a nice piece and definitely fitting for your zen bedroom.
    I currently have nothing hanging here, as our walls are the old plaster and lathe. It's common in old houses and ours is 105 years old.
    The piece on the couch is gorgeous! It definitely needs to be hung where you can see it each time you walk into the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme! Well, I've been living with mostly bare walls myself and decided I needed to stop putting it off. As for your house, I bet it already has plenty of character. 🙂

      Delete
  3. Your bedroom is very zen. I also consider mine a sanctuary. Above my bed is a lithograph called Farm Fences: a snowy, falling down barn and fences. It may seem depressing to some, but it brings me peace. I love that Veloy Vigil. You must find a prominent spot for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, much appreciated my friend. You know I've always liked your own tastes in this stuff, your lithograph sounds very calming. 🙂

      Delete
  4. It all looks lovely and tasteful! The woman in green looks like a Rorschach ink blot test. I’d love to know what it says about your personality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shawn, very nice of you to say. As for my personality, it's probably a mix of boring and strange. 😉

      Delete
  5. Dug, I can't comment with any sense of intelligence when it comes to the different forms of art. Your green woman does seem to fit the style of your bedroom... simple and minimalistic. Unfortunately I'm very traditional and functional... but I do like maps and have maps on the wall in our office and framed structural plans for ships on the wall in our den. As much as I like to sketch and love watercolor paintings, I'm not very good at art appreciation. But art is very personal... it should make you feel good to look at it... and from what you say, yours does. That's what's important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rian, I know art can be a very personal thing. I can't explain why I like what I do, but I can understand why someone else wouldn't. I'm just glad to know and be real friends with good people like yourself. PS You know I'm a big fan of your own artwork! 🙂 💚

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, it means a lot.