Saturday, September 12, 2026

It's late in the afternoon; I should be napping, not blogging

I wish I knew what was going on.  For as long as I can remember, I've been going to bed around 11:30 pm, falling asleep in minutes and aside from waking up 2-3 times during the night to pee, getting a pretty full night's sleep, 7-8 hours.

Fast asleep in my favorite green flannel shirt, 1978  

But then a couple weeks ago something changed; nothing in my nightly routine, still going to bed at the same time and falling right asleep, but waking up around 5-6am and unable to get back to sleep.  

Since then, I've been needing an hour's nap in the afternoon and still feel tired afterwards.  Oh well, maybe it's a sign I'm getting old or my long covid is up to something.

Speaking of 1978, I was going thru my old high school scrapbook and found this--my first W2 form, from 1978.


It was from the Olde Southern Pancake & Steak House, I started working there in the fall of 1978, my senior year of high school.  I made $2.25 an hour, worked 2 nights a week but always asked for Saturdays as that shift was 12 hours long--from 8pm to 8am Sunday morning.  

Started as a busboy, worked my way into the kitchen and every 6 hour shift included a half-hour, sit-down dinner break of anything from the menu.  And if you worked a 12 hour shift on Sat nights, you got breakfast in the morning too.

I know I talk too much, but wanted to share this one story.  My boss was named George, who also owned the restaurant.  He was in his fifties, bald, morbidly obese.  He always wore black trousers, a white dress shirt with short sleeves, a big white apron.  He spent all his time in the kitchen.  He almost always had a frown, but half of his employees were teenagers like myself and he never had a cross word for any of us. 

The night of my Senior Prom, we stopped there before the dance (other guys & girls who worked there did the same) to show off our tuxes and gowns and introduce our dates to everyone we worked with.  George was so pleased, he invited us to come back afterwards for a late night treat.  

So we did, pretty late--and he was there with a big coconut cake and sundae bar.  I loved, loved working there.  Even if I did only earn $625.00 for 4 months work!

Believe it or not, I have another "black woman" story.  Two days ago I was exiting Kuhn's and there were two middle aged black women in front of me.  The one on the right said "I don't hate ALL white men, just the skinny ones."  Her friend laughed then nudged her and nodded her head back towards me.  The one on the right looked back and said "Oh he's good!  He knows he's good!"

I shared this story with my friend Pen that night and she said it didn’t necessarily mean the woman thought I was a chubby.  Hello, that's exactly what it meant!

Finally, something very nice happened to me yesterday.  Last week I was taking my garbage out, and a woman stopped me and asked if I could show her where to go, she had recently moved in and didn't know where to take her trash.  She said she asked a couple others who ignored her.  I showed her the way I take, then the more popular route thru the underground garage.  She was so appreciative and looked so much like Kathy Bates, I had to tell her.  She said she'd heard that before, and her name was Kathy too!  I told her if she needed anything else, I was in 402.

Anyway, yesterday around 10:30am, someone knocked on my door.  It was Kathy with a white haired gentleman.  She said he was her husband Denny, who wanted to meet me.  Denny explained his wife moved in a week before he did, and he just wanted to thank me for helping Kathy.  

I asked if they were new to the city, they both laughed and said no, they used to live "across the bridge" (local slang for nearby McKee's Rocks) and had been looking for a smaller place.  They somehow landed one of the few 2 bedroom apts in the Tiffany.  I thought it was so nice they took the time to visit and introduce themselves.  They appear to be in their mid-70s.

I have a really good feeling about them, maybe we'll become friends. 😏

And now that I've bored you to sleep, I'll try doing the same.

17 comments:

  1. A good neighbor is worth his weight in gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, especially in an apartment building. My next door neighbor Dee is awesome. :^)

      Delete
  2. You certainly have held onto some interesting memorabilia. I don't recall what I was paid at my first part-time job, but I did enjoy it. I was the cashier at the local hockey/skating rink and was able to play my own records during public skates. My favorites were Al Stewart and Three Dog Night. Funny the things we remember.
    I prefer being called fluffy, rather than chubby. :)
    Sounds like you've got good neighbours, as they have found in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme, and wow you had a cool first job! Well, fluffy made me laugh and I sure hope I see Denny and Kathy soon. 🙂

      Delete
  3. Good neighbors are indeed priceless; I have quite a few of them in my neighborhood but even the icky ones are far enough away from me. :) You are such a kind person and it's nice that it was appreciated. My sleep is going back to normal after the 8 hour time change from Ireland. I still kind of want to go to bed at 2 pm though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, so agreed about the neighbors too. My next door Dee is priceless. And yes, you had some real jet lag to work out there!

      Delete
  4. Hi Doug, as others are commenting good neighbours are the icing on the cake. Kathy and Denny sound wonderful. We are certainly blessed with incredible neighbours all around us. We only have ten houses on our street and everybody knows everybody! Doug, how do you manage to hang onto this stuff?? Nice to hear you had such a great first job experience. Love the headphones in the photo of you napping. We all had a set of those! Take care Doug!🤎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn, forgot to add, it’s Robin!😆

      Delete
    2. Thank you Robin, you're a dear and I sure wish I was neighbors with you and Chuck! I almost didn't post that top pic, my bedding was a real mish-mash back then, haha. And yes, loved those big headphones--those were the days. 😊❤️

      Delete
    3. Doug, I didn’t even notice the bedding! I grew up with mish mash bedding too along with towels. I remember as a young girl saying to myself “I will have matched bedding and towels when I grow up!” And we do!😆😆

      Delete
    4. Haha! Thanks for sharing that Robin, too sweet & too funny! Yes I'm proud to say I have coordinated bedding and towels now too. But a little piece of me misses those threadbare fruit stripe towels in our linen closet 😆

      Delete
  5. kay. 'He KNOWS he's good!' I would have fell on the floor laughing.

    I rarely sleep the night through. I chalk it up to my advanced years. *looks over* Quit rolling around on the floor laughing at me, Doug!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby but I'm not laughing at ya! I never sleep more than 2-3 hours at most. As for advanced years, I hope I have half your energy when I'm... um, not sure how old you are 🤭

      Delete
  6. Very interesting post, Doug. I kept some of my pay stubs from past jobs too. I never had the pleasure of working in a restaurant environment though. The first job (s) I had in the late seventies was working as a cleaner part time after school in a film studio, and weekends in a low rise apartment building. The best thing I remember was entering the movie studio and spotting Joseph Bottoms. He was in Toronto filming an adaptation of Surfacing, from the novel written by Margaret Atwood which we had just read in school. I still have the autograph he signed for me.
    Your new neighbors sound very nice. I think you'll become good friends, and perhaps join you on your seniors center outings. Have a super weekend, my friend.
    Steve from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Steve--my gosh, Joseph Bottoms... a film studio sounded like a great first job, makes my restaurant job seem pretty tame in comparison. As for my neighbors, I hope I run into them again but you'd be surprised how you can live at the same address as someone and not see them for months at a time. It's all about the timing (trash & mail, I suppose). But I do hope I see them again soon--and I hope you are good, my friend. :^)

      Delete
  7. I'm so happy to hear you have great new neighbors! Good neighbors are worth their weight in gold. As for the "oh he knows he's good" women, how rude. I don't think it's funny at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, you are SO right about good neighbors. Especially next door ones in an apartment building. I love my 73 year old next door Dee, I hope she lives here a long time. As for that one woman at the market, I admit it bothered me that day but now I can laugh about it. :^)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, it means a lot.