Saturday, September 12, 2026

It's late in the afternoon; I should be napping, not blogging

I wish I knew what was going on.  For as long as I can remember, I've been going to bed around 11:30 pm, falling asleep in minutes and aside from waking up 2-3 times during the night to pee, getting a pretty full night's sleep, 7-8 hours.

Fast asleep in my favorite green flannel shirt, 1978  

But then a couple weeks ago something changed; nothing in my nightly routine, still going to bed at the same time and falling right asleep, but waking up around 5-6am and unable to get back to sleep.  

Since then, I've been needing an hour's nap in the afternoon and still feel tired afterwards.  Oh well, maybe it's a sign I'm getting old or my long covid is up to something.

Speaking of 1978, I was going thru my old high school scrapbook and found this--my first W2 form, from 1978.


It was from the Olde Southern Pancake & Steak House, I started working there in the fall of 1978, my senior year of high school.  I made $2.25 an hour, worked 2 nights a week but always asked for Saturdays as that shift was 12 hours long--from 8pm to 8am Sunday morning.  

Started as a busboy, worked my way into the kitchen and every 6 hour shift included a half-hour, sit-down dinner break of anything from the menu.  And if you worked a 12 hour shift on Sat nights, you got breakfast in the morning too.

I know I talk too much, but wanted to share this one story.  My boss was named George, who also owned the restaurant.  He was in his fifties, bald, morbidly obese.  He always wore black trousers, a white dress shirt with short sleeves, a big white apron.  He spent all his time in the kitchen.  He almost always had a frown, but half of his employees were teenagers like myself and he never had a cross word for any of us. 

The night of my Senior Prom, we stopped there before the dance (other guys & girls who worked there did the same) to show off our tuxes and gowns and introduce our dates to everyone we worked with.  George was so pleased, he invited us to come back afterwards for a late night treat.  

So we did, pretty late--and he was there with a big coconut cake and sundae bar.  I loved, loved working there.  Even if I did only earn $625.00 for 4 months work!

Believe it or not, I have another "black woman" story.  Two days ago I was exiting Kuhn's and there were two middle aged black women in front of me.  The one on the right said "I don't hate ALL white men, just the skinny ones."  Her friend laughed then nudged her and nodded her head back towards me.  The one on the right looked back and said "Oh he's good!  He knows he's good!"

I shared this story with my friend Pen that night and she said it didn’t necessarily mean the woman thought I was a chubby.  Hello, that's exactly what it meant!

Finally, something very nice happened to me yesterday.  Last week I was taking my garbage out, and a woman stopped me and asked if I could show her where to go, she had recently moved in and didn't know where to take her trash.  She said she asked a couple others who ignored her.  I showed her the way I take, then the more popular route thru the underground garage.  She was so appreciative and looked so much like Kathy Bates, I had to tell her.  She said she'd heard that before, and her name was Kathy too!  I told her if she needed anything else, I was in 402.

Anyway, yesterday around 10:30am, someone knocked on my door.  It was Kathy with a white haired gentleman.  She said he was her husband Denny, who wanted to meet me.  Denny explained his wife moved in a week before he did, and he just wanted to thank me for helping Kathy.  

I asked if they were new to the city, they both laughed and said no, they used to live "across the bridge" (local slang for nearby McKee's Rocks) and had been looking for a smaller place.  They somehow landed one of the few 2 bedroom apts in the Tiffany.  I thought it was so nice they took the time to visit and introduce themselves.  They appear to be in their mid-70s.

I have a really good feeling about them, maybe we'll become friends. 😏

And now that I've bored you to sleep, I'll try doing the same.

38 comments:

  1. A good neighbor is worth his weight in gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, especially in an apartment building. My next door neighbor Dee is awesome. :^)

      Delete
  2. You certainly have held onto some interesting memorabilia. I don't recall what I was paid at my first part-time job, but I did enjoy it. I was the cashier at the local hockey/skating rink and was able to play my own records during public skates. My favorites were Al Stewart and Three Dog Night. Funny the things we remember.
    I prefer being called fluffy, rather than chubby. :)
    Sounds like you've got good neighbours, as they have found in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme, and wow you had a cool first job! Well, fluffy made me laugh and I sure hope I see Denny and Kathy soon. 🙂

      Delete
  3. Good neighbors are indeed priceless; I have quite a few of them in my neighborhood but even the icky ones are far enough away from me. :) You are such a kind person and it's nice that it was appreciated. My sleep is going back to normal after the 8 hour time change from Ireland. I still kind of want to go to bed at 2 pm though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, so agreed about the neighbors too. My next door Dee is priceless. And yes, you had some real jet lag to work out there!

      Delete
  4. Hi Doug, as others are commenting good neighbours are the icing on the cake. Kathy and Denny sound wonderful. We are certainly blessed with incredible neighbours all around us. We only have ten houses on our street and everybody knows everybody! Doug, how do you manage to hang onto this stuff?? Nice to hear you had such a great first job experience. Love the headphones in the photo of you napping. We all had a set of those! Take care Doug!🤎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn, forgot to add, it’s Robin!😆

      Delete
    2. Thank you Robin, you're a dear and I sure wish I was neighbors with you and Chuck! I almost didn't post that top pic, my bedding was a real mish-mash back then, haha. And yes, loved those big headphones--those were the days. 😊❤️

      Delete
    3. Doug, I didn’t even notice the bedding! I grew up with mish mash bedding too along with towels. I remember as a young girl saying to myself “I will have matched bedding and towels when I grow up!” And we do!😆😆

      Delete
    4. Haha! Thanks for sharing that Robin, too sweet & too funny! Yes I'm proud to say I have coordinated bedding and towels now too. But a little piece of me misses those threadbare fruit stripe towels in our linen closet 😆

      Delete
  5. kay. 'He KNOWS he's good!' I would have fell on the floor laughing.

    I rarely sleep the night through. I chalk it up to my advanced years. *looks over* Quit rolling around on the floor laughing at me, Doug!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby but I'm not laughing at ya! I never sleep more than 2-3 hours at most. As for advanced years, I hope I have half your energy when I'm... um, not sure how old you are 🤭

      Delete
    2. It seems like just a decade or so ago, 70 meant "little old lady". Now I hear 70 and think "yeah, that's sexy". ;^)

      Delete
  6. Very interesting post, Doug. I kept some of my pay stubs from past jobs too. I never had the pleasure of working in a restaurant environment though. The first job (s) I had in the late seventies was working as a cleaner part time after school in a film studio, and weekends in a low rise apartment building. The best thing I remember was entering the movie studio and spotting Joseph Bottoms. He was in Toronto filming an adaptation of Surfacing, from the novel written by Margaret Atwood which we had just read in school. I still have the autograph he signed for me.
    Your new neighbors sound very nice. I think you'll become good friends, and perhaps join you on your seniors center outings. Have a super weekend, my friend.
    Steve from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Steve--my gosh, Joseph Bottoms... a film studio sounded like a great first job, makes my restaurant job seem pretty tame in comparison. As for my neighbors, I hope I run into them again but you'd be surprised how you can live at the same address as someone and not see them for months at a time. It's all about the timing (trash & mail, I suppose). But I do hope I see them again soon--and I hope you are good, my friend. :^)

      Delete
    2. In reality, Doug, it wasn't as glamorous as it sounds; the studio ( Hobel - Leiterman ) made documentaries, and Surfacing was their only venture in narrative films. The studio was in a small warehouse building and consisted of rooms for offices, film editing, storage, etc. - no big sets like in Hollywood. At the time I was working there though, I didn't know how significant their part was in the Canadian film and television industry; in the early to mid sixties they made hard hitting docs on the civil rights movement in the US and the Vietnam war. They also produced the current affairs program on TV This Hour Has Seven Days, which predated Sixty Minutes. It proved too controversial, so they pulled the plug on it. As for the film Surfacing, it was eventually released in 1981 and it flopped. I never did see it. Take care, friend.
      Steve

      Delete
  7. I'm so happy to hear you have great new neighbors! Good neighbors are worth their weight in gold. As for the "oh he knows he's good" women, how rude. I don't think it's funny at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, you are SO right about good neighbors. Especially next door ones in an apartment building. I love my 73 year old next door Dee, I hope she lives here a long time. As for that one woman at the market, I admit it bothered me that day but now I can laugh about it. :^)

      Delete
  8. My first jobs were at restaurants too! At 15 I was a hostess at the L&K chain, famous in my area for the all you could eat fish fry on Friday nights. At 16 I was able to be a waitress. We made under a dollar an hour because we got tips. My goal was to try to make enough in tips to equal minimum wage. Eventually I got a job at a better restaurant in a neighboring big city and finally landed at Cedar Point until fall. I don't have any heartwarming stories about bosses. I am pretty sure I have a file with my pay stubs too. I have a huge filing cabinet and keep everything.
    I know the new sleep pattern is a bear. The older I get (and I feel pretty old tonight) the fewer hours I get of consecutive sleep. Sometimes I feel like I am only getting about 5 hours sleep a night and since I can't sleep during the day, I will eventually crash on a weekend and sleep 12 or 13 hours. I can only hope it means good things with the gd long covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Miss Merry, I bet you had a lot of customers who thought the world of you. As for heartwarming boss stories, I just had the one! Anyway, I know how busy your life is with all the grandkids and everything, I'm sorry you're unable to get some extra sleep in the day. You must do some real crashes on occasion. As for the long covid, it's just got to end soon...

      Delete
  9. Boy, I sure enjoy your blogs. They are chatty and interesting, as you share a small slice of your life. So hope your long covid symptoms go away soon. What a nice boss you had in your teens. People are good all over the world. DL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh this was so nice to read, you're very kind. Thank you DL. 🙂

      Delete
  10. Gigi Hawaii. Great memories. Good to laugh once in a while. But I wouldn’t have gone to someone’s home so late. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi we didn't go to anyone's home so late, we returned to the restaurant we all worked at. It was open 24 hours a day.

      Delete
  11. You always share the best memories. The kind of memories I like to read best. Do you still have pics from your proms? Can you do one on those. This is Kathy. Thanks Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, much appreciated! (I know I share a lot of memories, but until I can meke some new ones....) As for the dance pics, yes I have some and your wish is my command. :^)

      Delete
  12. Fast asleep with headphones on?

    The only job I had before I started work for real was sorting mail at the Oakleigh Post Office. This was during Christmas break when I was at university not school. It was only the few weeks leading up to Christmas.

    This white man was one of the skinny ones, at least until I was 55, 60. I don’t know what happened after that. I’m considerably rounder now.

    Two new bunches of people have moved into my apartment block quite recently which is pretty unusual as there are only 6 apartments. One couple is downstairs from me. They are young (in their twenties) and quite pleasant. At their age I don’t know how they managed to buy one of the two expensive apartments (mine is the other but it wasn’t expensive when I bought it 40 years ago).
    I haven’t met the others yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, I have no idea what was playing on those headphones in 1978! But I can still fall asleep wearing headphones, rather earbuds. Anyway, it's good hearing from you and interesting about your own history here. And wow, you've been in your place 40 years. Amazing how fast time seems to fly. Anyway, thanks for sharing my friend.

      Delete
  13. I’ve become a horrible sleeper too but love a good afternoon nap! Life was so different back in the day, wasn’t it? We were so lucky! I hope you are able to develop a friendship with your new neighbors so that you can have a little bit of a support system in your apt. building! Kimba🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing Kimba, much appreciated my friend! ❤️👍😊

      Delete
  14. Hey Dougie, I was just thinking about you tonight… Thought I’d check out the TeePee & First of all, I seriously love that picture of you at the top. You’re so handsome and you’re my absolute favorite… Incidentally, I absolutely adore the picture of you in your favorite green flannel lol I am such a sucker for my brothers and sisters man.!!! Anyway, I loved reading about your trip to the winery and how kind you are to your neighbors. I love you so much.☺️☺️☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Courtney, much appreciated... love you too. 🙂🧡💙🤎

      Delete
  15. Dug, my Blogger JUST sent me this post. And I've been up catching up on all the comments. It's 10:30 and late for me, so this will be short. First, so glad Blogger finally caught me up. My bedtime is between 9 and 10 pm... although I sometimes fall asleep on the sofa between 8 and 9. But generally sleep until between 7 and 8am (also with several trips during the night). But it's not the sleep of youth... I do wake up off and on and sometimes having very confrontational dreams (wierd).
    Also your new neighbors sound really nice. Hope you get to know them better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rian! You don't have to go back and comment on my earlier post, I know blogger has made things difficult for everybody these last couple weeks. But I do appreciate your kind words here, I'm always glad to hear from you!

      Delete
  16. Hi Doug. There are some really good you tubes from a doctor on the subject of long covid issues. I'm sorry I can,t remember his name but you can just search long covid and find him. Hope you get some relief soon. Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry, I will do that. Appreciate the good wishes.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, it means a lot.