Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Remembering the days when I was somebody-- with a badge

The other week when I was going thru a shoebox of old photos in my closet, I came across a couple of work badges that really surprised me.  I thought I'd lost these or turned them in years ago. 

I wish one of them had been for my first IT job in downtown Pittsburgh.  It said:  Omega Systems, Information Technology & Consulting Services.  

Below that it had my name, with "Data Services Specialist".  

I was so proud of that badge.  After dropping out of college and floundering for a few years in minimum wage jobs, I went back to school and landed my first professional position in 1988.

I wore a suit to work everyday, sat behind a desk and drew up flowcharts and met with users and wrote a thousand computer programs.  I loved it and woke up every morning thanking my lucky stars.  

Anyway, no Omega Systems badge in the shoebox, darn it.  But here's an early ID badge I was required to clip on my breast pocket when I visited secured areas as a consultant for Allegheny County Computer Services.

I sure miss those days!


Here's an official work badge from Allegheny County.  After 10 years as a contractor for the county, I was working at GNCorp but was miserable and knew I had to find a new job.  I contacted an IT headhunter and got an offer right away from BNY Mellon.  At the same time, my former boss from Allegheny County Computer Services heard I was looking and offered me a permanent position.

I took the county offer, I could set my own schedule and even dress business casual, a rarity at the time.  But right after I started, Mellon came back with another offer that was 5K higher in salary. 

The look on my face below says it all--the people at the county were like family, but I had to reconsider Mellon's offer.  I worked out a deal with both and went to work at Mellon after 3 months.  

As for Mellon, I enjoyed my work there but my supervisor and I did not get along.  After a couple years I got an offer from UPMC and decided to move on.  When I gave Mellon my 2 week notice, they took my green metallic work-badge and handed me a paper "Temp Employee" badge.

And finally, my work badge from UPMC Health Plan.  I worked there 16 years, retired, then a couple years later they called and asked if I wanted to come back.  I was so flattered I said ok and did, for a bit.

Once you've had a taste of freedom though, it's hard to go back to that grind.  But I confess, some days I miss my working years still.


24 comments:

  1. You're still somebody-- with a blog! And a darn good one! I gotta say, I'm one of those weird people who hate badges. Thankfully I never had to wear one. I worked briefly in healthcare and had to wear a name tag, which ironically have morphed into badges at most places. I spent most of my working life at a non-profit where we also had to wear pins bearing our name. I hated them and conveniently lost most of them.😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--thanks Bobi, and as always you're very kind! Well, you do sound like a rebel but I DID know people like yourself who resented having their name displayed on their chest. And come to think of it, I did resent the one I wore in the 80s when I worked at Murphy's Mart, it said "Hi my name is Doug. May I help you?" Ugh.

      Delete
  2. I spent the last 21 years of my work life working for the Canadian federal government. We were given badges but for the first few years, I don't recall wearing it - it resided in my purse as I needed to swipe to get in the office. But then we had a couple of instances where members of the general public made their way into our areas - likely following an inattentive employee. Then we had to wear them visibly and were expected to challenge anyone who wasn't wearing a badge. That policy resulted in, what I considered, a hilarious moment. One of the big wigs showed up alone, which was unusual in itself, early in the morning (I started work at 7 and arrived shortly before that). He attempted to join me in the elevator so I asked to see his ID and why he was there. Later, I recall being told I ought to have known who he was, according to my boss. But the big wig didn't take any offence and I was following simply following policy.
    I was not, however, allowed to take my badge with me. By then, we had separate cards for ID and for access. But on my final day at work before I took my 10 weeks of vacation I'd hoarded, my direct supervisor came to my desk, took my laptop and badge and walked me to the front door about an hour before I was scheduled to end my day. By this point, I wasn't sad to leave.
    Retirement is definitely the best job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for sharing Maebeme. And I would agree, Retirement is the best job! FYI, we were expected to hand in ours and be escorted out too. And I did, for most of em. 🙂

      Delete
  3. Hi Doug, wow, does your face tell a story in each photo! Never had a job where I wore a badge. Chuck like you had to wear one his whole working career. In the military his last name was on a sewn on tag on his chest with his rank badges on his shoulders. Then in his 12 year civilian job afterwards he wore a card on a lanyard around his neck. I don’t know how he managed not to lose it once in all those years. All the crazy places he had to climb into, onto, under……it would have been hell if he lost it as he had a highish level of clearance to get into certain places.😬 I love Maebeme’s comment. Yeah, that’s sounds like the Canadian government! Chuck still has not been paid for his last two days and he retired almost two years ago.Hope you are having a good day.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, very interesting about Chuck Robin, thank you for sharing and also good to hear from you my friend. FYI, my last job at UPMC, you had the option of wearing it lanyard style. I often did, but my job wasn't as adventurous as Chucks! 🙂🤎💙

      Delete
  4. I still have my teaching badge too; I was proud of it and will keep it forever. It showed I belonged and had earned the right to my position. I miss work sometimes, mostly for the people and NOT the 5 a.m. get up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, well I never minded the early starts but the project deadlines are what did me in! But I do miss seeing my favorite people everyday, being downtown and the great lunches. 😋

      Delete
  5. I had "name tags" but never a badge with my face on it. (Thank goodness). My oldest one is from Cedar Point Amusement Park when I was a teenager. I did have a waitress job before that, but I think I lost that tag. I also have my name plates from my office desks. I am not sure why I keep everything, lol.
    I do miss working, too. What I miss is the fellowship of my co-workers. I worked with some pretty great people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cedar Point! Well Miss Merry, I can't really say I miss working. My job was pretty stressful, but like you, I did enjoy the company of my coworkers a lot. I bet you were a fun and interesting person to work with and be around. ☺️

      Delete
  6. I never worked anywhere that required a badge. The only things with my photo on them are my driver’s licence and passport.

    After the first job I had (I started in 1967) I didn’t apply for another one for the rest of my working life. People I had worked with would call and ask, “Hey, want a job?”
    I’d accept or not depending on the job. The IT community was pretty small in Melbourne back then – most people knew each other or, at least, knew of each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Peter--well, what really amazes me on your end is that you worked at one company your whole professional life. I would've liked that too, and for older workers here that was also the norm. But in the 90s it seemed like you HAD to switch jobs to get ahead. When I got to UPMC in 2000, I stayed put until retiring.

      Delete
    2. I wasn’t clear – I worked for many companies, it’s just that people I knew lured me here and there.
      Whenever anyone asked me to work somewhere else more often than not I’d accept the offer (usually with more money, of course).

      Delete
    3. Peter, my bad--I misread that. Well, that’s more impressive, you earned yourself a good IT reputation. 🙂

      Delete
  7. Doug, I had one job that required a badge/name tag. In fact, I also was issuing them. This was when I worked for this agency that provided registration staff for business trade shows. Instead of having actual photos of the attendees on them, we took their pictures, which were then encoded on this strip that looked like a cross between a UPC and a QR code. Somebody would be stationed at the entrance to the exhibit hall, scan the bar code of each attendee's badge and check on the computer screen to see if the face matches before letting him/her through. I recall one time when I had that post, two jokers switched badges.
    I loved that job, even though it was only part time and on an on call basis. I still have some of the badges from the shows I worked at.
    Steve from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Steve, pretty cool! Thanks for sharing that, it definitely sounded more advanced than us. Well, I happen to know UPMC still uses the same photo badges, when I was in the hospital for a week in June, every doctor and nurse had the exact same badge that's in my blog. Anyway, that’s great you still have some of those people's badges. They're lucky you're one of the good guys, not a villain. 😉

      Delete
    2. Actually, they're my own badges. They were printed on paper and then inserted in a clear plastic holder attached to a lanyard. The reason I have many is because each one was from the various trade expos I worked at.
      Steve

      Delete
  8. You have dad’s eyes ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really think so Shawn? Thank you. Well, Dad's was coal black and mine are a bewitching hazel, but I get what you mean. :^)

      Delete
  9. THANK YOU for telling me you aren't getting blog feeds either. I have been so frustrated all night trying to fix it. GRRRRRRR But glad to know it wasn't me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Miss Merry, it's driving me batty! Sometimes I really regret not starting a blog in Wordpress. Blogger used to work wonderfully BEFORE Google bought it.

      Delete
  10. Oh Doug! The memories seeing these badge photos of you! Also you really really resemble your dad when you were younger. Kimba🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very sweet, thank you Kimba ☺️❤️

      Delete

Thanks so much for your feedback! :^)