Friday, February 27, 2015

It is a far, far better resting place you go, then you have ever known…

Words fail me.  Today one of my heroes died, and it feels like the passing of a family member too, a beloved uncle.  Leonard Nimoy—actor, director, author, poet, Spock.  Gene Roddenberry called him “the conscience of Star Trek”, and I along with tens of millions of other fans grieve for his family’s loss, and ours.

A few years ago, a friend gave me a copy of Mind Meld, a 2001 documentary of a lengthy conversation between Leonard Nimoy & William Shatner that took place in Leonards’ backyard, dealing mostly with their years on Star Trek and how it impacted and influenced their lives.  As Shatner sputtered and defended his theatrics (both on Star Trek & in real life) and questioned the show’s appeal and others animosities towards him, Leonard sat there listening, offering his own take on things, always kind words but always in earnest. 

He possessed an inner peace and acceptance of things that filled me with a peace as well. 

At the end of the documentary, as Nimoy took Shatner into his home and showed him his collection of Trek memorabilia, Shatner stood there gawking, surprised that Nimoy kept all these things (as was I, quite happily too).  Leonard smiled and put his arm around William Shatner’s shoulders.  He said “Bill, you’re my best friend.”

We should all be so fortunate to have such a friend like you, Leonard.   Goodbye, I’ll love you always. 

terraidic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.