Saturday, August 10, 2019

Sophia, you are fourteen going on fifteen, fellows will fall in line...


My sister Shawn (and her husband Jim and my niece Sophia) just returned from a week’s vacation at Virginia Beach.  Sophia got this lovely floral dress for the trip, and maybe you’re thinking “Doug, did you strrrretch that photo?”  

Nope!  This kid is now taller than me and it’s all in her legs! 

Isn’t she beautiful?   She’s 14, but will be 15 in just a couple months.   I dunno… she’s always been smarter than your average bear but has a sophistication about her that I find a little disconcerting.   I suppose she’s in that particular age-set where girls are a lot more mature than boys her own age.

In fact, her & my sister have been shopping for a semi-formal dress for Soph’s first high school dance this September; she’s going with a young man a couple years older than herself. 

I remember that time fairly well, when I was 14-15 it seemed like every girl in my class was interested in boys 2-3 years older. 

But at the same time… I can’t help but look at this photo and try to imagine if I was 15 and this willowy beauty was in my class.  Oh, I knew my place back then—there’s no way I would’ve been in Sophia’s league!   And I bet at least half the boys in her class are going to see her this fall and think the same thing.

At least, they’d BETTER.  Shifty

I remember when my sister Shawn was around Sophia’s age, and guys in MY class asking if my sister was seeing anyone.  Nope!  Do you think she’d say yes if I asked her out?  Nope!  (First of all, she wasn’t old enough to date; and seriously?  I’ve heard some of the junk you share with your toadies, you think I’m going to speak on your behalf!?)  

Anyway, I didn’t have a lot to say here;  I just wanted to share this lovely picture of Sophia and say a quick & silent prayer that she has a wonderful school year ahead and as long as I’m at it, one for my sister & her husband too—because there’s a LOT of young men out there.

My sister Shawn & her spoils, her 15th birthday

1 comment:

  1. The women in your family certainly are gorgeous. You're not ugly either, very nice to look at.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.