Monday, June 15, 2020

The Old Man and the Blog: Well, that’s what it feels like

This is Renee, a sweet, busy woman I dated for a couple of years in the 1990’s.  We were on vacation in the Bahamas here, in our mid-30s, and does it get any better than this? 

Nope, I don’t think so.

At the time, we both worked for Omega Systems, an IT consulting company contracted by the city of Pittsburgh.  (I was a software developer for Allegheny County Dept of Aging, Renee was an IT manager at Alcosan, Allegheny County Water Authority). 

We met a year prior at a fancy dinner party at our VP’s house.  I was doing a running commentary of ice skaters Tonya Harding & Nancy Kerrigan (our hosts television was on but the volume was turned down) and I guess Renee’s laugh was more than just politeness, she called me the next day and asked me out to dinner.

Anyway, I can’t believe this photo is from 25 years ago.  I realize 25 years is a lifetime for some, but I can remember events from 1995 like it was just a few years ago. 

Oh the other hand, I look at my younger self here and it feels like I’m looking at another person… oh to be that young and fit again.  (And man, all that dark hair!)

Recently, my friend Erin (who does occasional IT work for Renee, now a project manager at a women’s hospital—it’s a small world) suggested I visit a chiropractor for some of my TMJ issues.  I knew of one that was only a block from my apartment (with some excellent Healthline reviews and in my insurance plan’s network) so I called and asked for an appointment.   They saw me right away.

Dr. Walsh was a very kind man, asked me to explain what was going on and what I thought was wrong.  I told him about the TMJD, and how it had spread into my head, neck, upper back.  I said “I’m no spring chicken, but I get up every morning feeling like a 90 year old man.  I have to take a couple of aspirin just to calm things down.  That can’t be normal… can it?”

He said for many older people, daily pain was a fact of life.  He also said that with my jaw dysfunction, it was bound to produce referred pain to vulnerable parts of the body.  

He did a pretty thorough physical examination, and said “Your patient form says you’re retired, but based on the curvature of your upper back, I’m guessing you spent decades hunched in front of a computer.”   Yep.  He began pressing into different areas behind me (causing me to yelp a few times) and told me I had a buildup of scar tissue in my right shoulder (an area I rub frequently), several muscle knots below my left shoulder and crepitus at the base of my skull and in my neck. 

I asked if that was why my neck seemed to make a lot of crunching sounds when I turned it left & right, he said “Yes, that’s crepitus.  Inflamed tendons rubbing against bone.  It’s not a bad thing necessarily, it just is.”  

He spent a lot of time with me—almost 90 minutes.  He did a lot of pressing, twisting parts of me to the right & left, always explaining what he was doing and why.  He warned me I’d be plenty sore the next morning, have lots of ice ready.  (He was right.) 

I’ll be seeing him twice a week for the next several weeks.  It’s only a 5 dollar copay, so why not.  He’s kind, knowledgeable and convenient.  And I have a feeling his treatments will be more practical than what that TMJ surgeon has to offer.

Oh, in case you’re wondering what happened to me & Renee, we wound up parting amicably a year or so after that photo was taken.  Our interests were just too opposite.  She enjoyed playing & watching sports and drinks and busy places, I liked quiet things, going to the movies or staying home with a pizza.  But she was a sweet, down-to-earth person and from what I hear, still is.

But what I wouldn’t give to wake up tomorrow morning and be a 35 year old Doug again.


19 comments:

  1. I wonder if a chiropractor would help David, who has arthritis in his shoulders and back, etc. Keep us apprised, will you?

    Too bad the relationship with Renee ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi I have an appt with the doc this afternoon, I can certainly ask him... poor David, I'm sorry he's been in a bad way. As for Renee, it is a shame but things worked out for the best.

      Delete
    2. Gigi if you see this--I DID ask Dr.Walsh about David, he said he can't speak for all chiropractors but he works with a lot of shoulder & back arthritis. His assistant told me physical therapists do too but they're not as hands-on as chiropractors. I sure hope David gets the help he needs.

      Delete
  2. I use to think chiropractors were educated quacks till one put me right. My cardio doc asked me why my blood pressure was so high one particular day and I asked if pain could raise it. Yep, he said so I told him about my sciatica. He said "Girl you need to see a chiropractor." He made the appointment for me.
    Well the chiro not only made me pain free quickly but he also gave me a tip to cure my shoulder that I was told needed surgery. Give this guy a shot Doug, he may be just what you have been praying for and the 5 bucks could be a huge investment in your health.
    I was kind of hoping you and Renee would find each other again but I see you all ready realized that it was a no go. Though people do change. She may be in to movies and pizza these days. Things change in 25 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti I so much appreciate your input here, thank you for sharing your story. To be honest, a few years ago I thought just the same as you (about chiropractors). But this doctor is such a good listener, and so attentive, I'm doing what you say and will continue seeing him (I just got home, and going back 2 more times this week). Anyway, I very much hope you're doing better this week. As for Renee, haha 25 years is a long time! I'm happily settled in my ways :)

      Delete
  3. Always thought that chiropractors were quacks, but I have known many people that swear by them. Yours sounds very professional and knowledgeable I would definitely give him a solid chance before thinking of surgery.

    Renee was sure cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, very well said & Just what I needed to hear--thanks man. (I'm thinking of postponing the meet with the TMJ surgeon.) And yeah, Renee was as pretty both inside & out :)

      Delete
  4. Gee... I wouldn’t mind being the 35 year old me too. I’ll bet I’d have more energy, that’s for sure.

    I’m so glad you found someone caring for the TMJ. He sure sounds like he knows what he’s doing. I have a friend in Illinois who swears by her chiropractor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! Well, I'm now going to be seeing the chiropractor 3 times a week so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

      Delete
  5. Had to look up the word 'crepitus'. Learned something new already and I havn't even finished my morning coffee. As for being young again, no thanks for me. Came across a picture yesterday of a twenty-something me. Like looking at a complete stranger. My current old self is much more at peace now. To date, I'm still in good health though, so it would be another ball of wax for you. Sure hope Dr. Walsh can put you to rights again. I'm cheering for you, Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence you're very dear, thank you. And honestly, wanting to be young again is ONLY for reasons of health, not vanity... I just want to be my old self again, but reading comments like yours gives me hope :)

      Delete
  6. Boy, aren’t they cute at that age?
    Peter the MM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, I never heard of TMJ. So thanks a lot -- now I know about something ELSE that can go wrong with me! Actually, your symptoms sound a lot like my upper back pain from a few years ago -- stenosis of the spine. (Now YOU know something else that can go wrong!) My sister who had the same problem as me suggested a chiropractor, but I just went to my regular doctor who in turn sent me to do a couple of rounds of physical therapy which worked wonders. Even to this day I do 1/2 hour of back exercises to keep things loose and pain free. So, listen, I've got a few years on you ... isn't getting old fun? You just have to keep your sense of humor about it. And btw, congrats on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, very nice to hear from you (I'm a big fan of your blog). Well, that stenosis sounds scary as heck and gosh I sure hope I don't see that anytime soon--as for the TMJ, until 2016 I never heard of it either :( Anyway, thanks for reading my post -and- the good words :)

      Delete
  8. I regularly see a chiropractor as well due to some slipped disks in my neck; if I don't go I eventually feel tightness mainly in my shoulders and neck.

    If you were to wake up tomorrow and be 35 knowing what you know now, would you make alot of different changes? Anything major like a move to new location or a career change?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I'm sorry to hear that... but if your chiro helps, that's all that matters. Anyway--this was a good question. Yep I sure would, I'd visit my dad a lot more & get a little more serious about getting in a serious relationship. I sure did love my thirties though :)

      Delete
    2. I think I would work on the relationships I have had more too (if I could go back twenty years).

      If you don't my asking what do you mean bout get a little more serious? Do you mean like dating more intentionally for long-term or practicing getting into better habits and things like that?

      Delete
    3. Tom, you got it exactly right--I would've taken dating more seriously. I was lucky to go out with several very nice women (like Renee here) but at the time, I just didn't want to get "tied down". I dont know why I felt that way then... oh well!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.