Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Be careful what you wish for… because you don’t know how many wishes you’ll get

Sometime after my 13th birthday, I asked my 8th grade English teacher Miss King if I could sit in the front row of her class.  She told me she wanted to keep certain students in the front (the goof-offs, my word, not hers) and did someone put me up to this.  I said no, I just had trouble reading her handwriting from the back.

She wrote a couple sentences on the board and had me move closer until I could read them.  She said I could make the switch and gave me a note to bring home to my parents.  That night, Mom asked if I knew what it said.  I said no but I had an idea, and she said “Your teacher says you need glasses.” 

I said it wasn’t that bad, I could see better than Duke (my older brother).  Poor Duke had been wearing glasses since he was 5 years old, I was 13 now, a teenager!  I got my eyes examined anyway and a couple weeks later, on a Friday after school, got my first pair of glasses.

I liked them right away--everything was so CLEAR.  But as the weekend drew to a close, I dreaded the thought of Monday and wearing them to school.  We had some flurries Sunday night, and as I stood there watching the swirls, wished out loud we’d get enough snow to make tomorrow a “Snow Day” and no school. 

Sure enough, the next morning we awoke to a good foot of snow on the ground and the radio reporting all school districts were closed.  My sister said “Well, you got your wish!” and the thought occurred to me:  What if somehow I had a wish waiting to be granted and I just blew it on a snow day?

That’s not just me, right?  Making a wish, seeing it come true and wondering if you just wasted a real one?  Well, it just happened again.

Wednesday morning, I’m waiting at the elevator to go downstairs and get my mail, when along comes my neighbor Opal carrying a trash bag.  I ran over to open the trash room door but Opal said she was taking it downstairs to the dumpster out back—it’s kitty litter. 

I asked her what her cat’s name was again, she said “For the 20th time, it’s Razzles.”  I made a frown, and she said “I know, it hurts your jaw to say it!”  We both laughed and began chatting, and when the elevator stopped at the lobby, I stayed on and rode down with her to the basement slash parking garage (and dumpster outside).  As we headed back in, to the right was a gray, dented metal door: the infamous “Party Room”.

Across the front, it has these black & gold letters—the type you see on rural mailboxes.  PARTY ROOM

I ask Opal, have you ever been in there?  She says no, have you?  Nope.  We get on the elevator, ride it to the lobby, collect our mail—here comes Dave, a retired math teacher (and truth be told, my favorite tenant in the building).  A lifelong bachelor, Dave is 79 and paralyzed on the right side from a stroke several years ago.  Opal says “Here’s your chance, ask Dave--he’s lived here longer than anyone.”  Dave stops his shuffle and says “Ask me what?” 

I asked him if he’s ever been in the infamous Party Room in the basement.  Dave stood there a moment, stroking his chin and said “I’ve lived here…. 1981… 1991… 40 years this summer.  I’ve never been inside.  But I understand… Jehovah’s Witnesses… used to meet in there.”  I said “Really?  I wonder what happened to them.”  Dave said “Doug… I don’t think they ever left.”   

The look Opal gave me almost made me laugh and I said “Well, I can show you guys a picture of it, I saw it on their website a couple years ago.  But it kills me that this room is down there and no one uses it.  I wish they’d put some exercise machines in there and make it an exercise room.”   Opal said “Well, ask them!”  and I said “Fine I will!”

(From the Steiner website, the Party Room—dig that red piano)

Friday morning, I am sitting here on my sofa, eating a bowl of cereal and watching Morning Joe, my phone rings.  It’s Opal.  She says “I know it’s early, but are you busy?”  I said no and she says “Jesse just called me from her car, she says we should head down to the basement today and have a look.”

(Jesse is Opal’s 33 year old daughter, who lives with her mom.  She works downtown and parks in the underground garage.)  I tell Opal to give me 20 minutes to clean up and I’ll meet her at the elevator at 9am.

We meet up, get on the elevator.  I ask “What’s going on?”  Opal laughs and says “You got me!”  We ride it all the way down to the basement.  When we get off, directly to our right, we see this:

Both our mouths dropped.  Two days ago, this was the door to the Party Room.  I jiggled the doorknob but it was locked.  Opal said “Did you call them on Wednesday and ask for this?”  I said “Yes Opal, they didn’t waste any time did they—no I didn’t call!” 

We came back upstairs, I asked Opal if she’d let me be the first to tell Dave and she said “Have at it, I know you like that kook” and we laughed again.  I told her I’d contact Steiner and find out what was going on, but when I came back inside my apartment and turned on my laptop, I’d already received an email from them.

From: Steiner Realty West
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 9:26 AM
To: edougmorris@gmail.com 
Subject:  Tiffany Fitness Center Opening Announcement

The Tiffany Fitness Center is ready to go & will be open Wednesday, May 26th, 2021!!! 

It’s location is the old party room on the basement level of the building.  Coming off the elevator it is on the right side near the door to the garage. 

The Fitness Room will always have a locked door. It will be available 24/7 to Tiffany Residents only.

It goes on to say that no family, children or other guests are permitted entry, we have to submit a waiver to get our own key, the machines will be cleaned twice daily, etc.  I can’t believe it.  I also can’t believe that TWO DAYS AGO I WISHED FOR IT.  Is this that Snow-Day wish all over again?  C’mon, this is some coincidence!

I’m grateful Steiner did this.  I’m anxious to see what’s in there, and begin a daily exercise regimen.  But if I knew this was a REAL wish, I’d be Tom Cruise or Daniel Craig right now.

Maybe I’ve got a third wish waiting to be granted… don’t they come in threes?  I’m going to be very careful what I wish out loud for next!

29 comments:

  1. I do hope that little red piano found a good home! I didn't know I needed eye glasses until I was out of high school. Thought everyone else saw blurry tree canopies but could easily read even the smallest print. Neat vintage clip with Don Knotts. I love your building community, Doug. Kind of miss that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence I felt the EXACT same way (that everyone saw things blurry 10 feet or more away)! I'll ask about the red piano, doesn't that look nice? And yes I like the community here too, it's a good mix of age & diversity :)

      Delete
  2. Be careful for what you wish for Doug!

    https://americanliterature.com/author/w-w-jacobs/short-story/the-monkeys-paw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--I love that story Ed! Yes I will be extra careful :)

      Delete
  3. I was 28 years old, coming down the escalator into Grand Central Station with my wife. I started walking forward to see the board with the train schedule. She stopped me and asked, "What are you walking that way for, the train is over there." I replied, "So I can see the schedule." My wife, who's worn glasses since 3rd grade, looked at me and laughed and said, "You need glasses!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait Tom, was she right? Did you start wearing glasses? BTW my friends Opal and Dave are both in their seventies and neither wear glasses--I thought everyone did by that age!

      Delete
  4. Oh oh, you really have powerful wishes. We will be expecting to see a buff Doug soon. I sure hope you didn't use up your last wish. Maybe they come in tens? Anyway since you speak and Steiner obeys, think through the next one carefully:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Patti! As soon as I get my key I'll get in there and take pictures--and as soon as I begin looking a little buff, I'll take pics of that too! ;^)

      Delete
  5. Are you hiding a genie in a bottle somewhere??? I love this post! Maybe you are psychic and sensed this was coming or maybe the management is psychic and read your mind. Either way, I am happy you have been granted this wish and I can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Bonnie and I love this comment! Maybe I am psychic--you have to admit, the timing here was too weird. I've thought that before about the Party Room, but it was the first time I wished it aloud to anyone! I just talked to Bldg Management, I should have my key by Thursday noon--I can't wait to get in there! Pictures are coming!

      Delete
  6. Interesting idea having a set number of wishes in your lifetime. My big deal is I am careful of what I pray for. What you dream about pales in reality. But an exercise room is great! You will enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, but it wasn't what I'd call a big wish, it was more like a whine-wish. Still, you gotta take what you can get! :^)

      Delete
  7. Did you rub the magic lamp and summon your genie? That is great to have a fitness center available. I would love that. I'm not a huge fan of exercising inside, but it's better than nothing in inclement weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, I am excited about it--I'd rather work in than out, today in Pittsburgh we had 90F and 90% humidity--we had that all last week too, so if you're talking inclement weather...!

      Delete
  8. Dug, did your apartment complex have meetings at some time... seems like it was set up for that from the pic (more than parties)? But whatever, a fitness center is a great idea! And as for glasses, I always felt guilty that I didn't know our daughter didn't see well until she was about 12... and we were at a game and a friend was waving and she couldn't see her. As for the wishes... think hard before the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian, I know very little about it--in fact, it seems like no one knows what went on in there. When I moved here 4 years ago, the door was barricaded with a pile of junk that's never moved (that's how I know no one has been in there). But Dave was serious about Jehovah's Witnesses being down there weekly! And you shouldn't feel quilty about your daughter, to her that blurred vision was just perfectly normal... it was to me. At least you found out soon enough, like my teacher & me. :) And yes... I'm being very careful what I wish out loud for next. :)

      Delete
  9. Lucky you. I have never had a wish come true. Maybe in my next life time....
    Enjoy the Fitness Centre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River but I'd say these were more casual wishes (and coincidences)... I'm usually an unlucky person!

      Delete
  10. Oh wow! That was a really GREAT wish! It’s going to be especially wonderful in winter time when you might not want to go out as much. I’m wondering what you would wish for now that you’re on a roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay, I wasn't REALLY wishing for anything though, I just hate seeing stuff go to waste--as soon as I get my key for the room, we'll see how great it is then! :^) As for my next wish... I think it's for the end of the Republican party :)

      Delete
  11. Doug, my goodness, this is incredible! Hope everyone enjoys the new fitness centre!
    Like a lot of your other commenters I thought everyone saw the world fuzzy. In school I must have always sat close to the front. Hmmm....maybe I was a goof-off! When I went to get my driver’s license at 16 I was told no way, not until I get glasses. So I have wore them ever since. Love the clip from The Incredible Mr. Limpet. That was one of my favourite movies when I was a kid. Came out the year I was born.
    Have a great day Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat Lover, who are you? Everything about this comment I liked! Gosh I really like these glasses stories, we all just assumed our vision was fine, I guess because we lived with those blurs for so long. And I loved The Incredible Mr. Limpet too, thanks for sharing that--I hope I hear from you again :^)

      Delete
  12. That is terrific that 2 wishes were granted. I hope you still wear glasses or contact lenses. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi, they weren't "real" wishes but I'll take what I can get! :) And yes I still wear glasses, in fact my next pair will be trifocals, my vision is awful :(

      Delete
  13. You always have some good stories. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was fun, Doug. I don't know if you have a magic superpower or not, but I think you should be very careful what you wish for! I haven't watched that video yet, but it's on my list of things to finish today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you DJan; you don't have to watch that silly video, I just saw it as a good example of what happens when you REALLY make a wish :^) As for my recent experience, I just saw it as a heckuva coincidence! I honestly had no idea such plans were in motion. Anyway, I'm getting my "magic key" tomorrow by 9am, so I cannot wait, I'll be taking my camera with me.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.