Tuesday, December 7, 2021

A tale of two coats (or… torn between two coats, don’t know what to do)

Last week when I wrote about my ill-fated trip to the doctor (and learning I was 60+ lbs overweight) I included—then later went back and deleted—a piece about my winter coat.  I was getting dressed that morning, had my radio on and when they said it was 25F and not expected to get much warmer, I knew it was time to get out my dark brown winter coat. 

When I put it on, I was dismayed to find it really tight around my midsection; I could barely zip it up.  (I’d soon discover when I got on the bus headed downtown I couldn’t sit down without unzipping it first.) 

I bought the thing on clearance from JCPenney a dozen years ago, had been meaning to replace it for awhile anyway.  It was fine for most winter days, but never quite warm enough in January or February, when temps dipped into the teens or below zero.  Why I kept putting off buying a new coat every year is beyond me.

When I got home, I spent a couple hours online looking at LL Bean, JCPenney, Columbia (ouch they’re pricey!) and a couple others.  I finally found what I was looking for on Amazon.com, a Dockers MicroTwill Long Parka.  It came in 3 colors—black, olive, navy, priced at $89.99.  Most of the reviews were glowing, though some warned to be careful, as sizes ran “a bit small”.

I knew I wanted the olive, but do I order an XL, or XXL?  Wouldn’t the latter be much too big?  The XL Olive had 3 left in stock with the message “Only 3 left, order soon”, the XXL had 4.

I thought I’d sleep on it.  The next morning I decided I’d order the XL, if it was too snug, I’d return it for the XXL.  But when I went online to place my order, both sizes now said Only 1 left in stock.  I was out of time.  I put both in my shopping cart & pressed ‘Buy’.  They weren’t kidding about their inventory, the olive XL & XXL now showed “Out of Stock” for both sizes.

Have you ever ordered something from a catalog or the internet, only to discover it wasn’t as nice as what was pictured?  THIS WAS THE OPPOSITE OF THAT.  The Docker coats that arrived looked twice as nice than what was pictured (or expected).  Dark olive, very soft, “lofty”.  Made for very cold weather.  At the same time, they weren’t heavy.  Big zippers and metal buttons, quilted lining, pockets inside & out, water resistant—I’m in real love here.

HERE’S MY DILEMMA.  After trying on both, the XL is too small.  Unlike my old brown coat (also an XL) which is snug but zippable, this one can’t be zipped together at all.  Other customers said sizes ran small… but would it fit if I was 60 pounds lighter?  

The XXL (on the right in that photo above) is very roomy.  But will it become too big if I lose 60 pounds? 

Amazon is giving me a couple weeks to return one of the coats.  I have no choice but to keep the XXL, I need a warm winter coat that fits NOW.  But do I keep the smaller XL too?  What if I send it back, then lose the weight by next winter, want a smaller size and it’s no longer available? 

Questions questions… any advice?  Nerd smile

37 comments:

  1. My advice would be to return the XL. If and when you lose 60 pounds, it will be a year from now before you need the XL size and by then it may be out of style, you might only need a L or you may not need one at all, i.e., you moved south or haven't lost enough weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, I guess I needed to hear someone else say it. πŸ™‚πŸ‘

      Delete
  2. I was going to say keep the XL as an incentive to lose weight but Ed does make good sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, this is why I like you so much. We think alike! It really does run small, I'm not convinced I could ever wear the smaller one anyway. I'm feeling better about this thank you. πŸ™‚πŸ‘πŸ’•

      Delete
  3. Definitely keep the bigger one. Not because of the weight but because you will be wearing layers (several of them if it's super cold) and you need a roomy coat for that reason. I love it when things I order turn out better than expected. It's usually the opposite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, you're right! What was I thinking, I've been trying these on while only wearing a t-shirt! I feel even better about the XXL now, thank you! πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ™‚

      Delete
  4. Hi Doug, I agree with the other commenters, keep the bigger one. Always nice to be able to bundle a few layers if it is really cold.
    Glad the coat exceeded your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin! I guess I just hated the idea of having something sized XXL, argh! πŸ™‚πŸ’•

      Delete
  5. Same here, Dug. Keep the larger one, return the smaller. No use keeping something you may not need. Besides, your taste may change and you may see something you like better next year. But glad to know that you found something you like and that it was even better than expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rian, and you make a good point about next year. πŸ™‚πŸ‘

      Delete
  6. Hi Doug... Keep the XXL and return the XL. You can always buy another coat next year rather than hang onto a coat that may not fit even if you lose 60 pounds:) That was a good decision to order both since you really had no idea on which one would fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue about me buying both. It's tough buying stuff to wear online, isn't it. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ™‚

      Delete
  7. I’d say that if the price isn’t too onerous, keep them both (but I’m a bit of a wimp when it comes to returning things).
    Otherwise, well I’ll leave that up to you.
    How’s that for some non-advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thank you Peter, I always enjoy your humor--and your honesty. I hope you're well. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  8. I'm with Ed ... return the XL. By next year, when you're thinner, you might like something else better. And besides, wouldn't you rather have the $89 in your pocket instead of hanging in the closet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom you just put it in words I like best. Yes I'd prefer to have that cash in my hand vs the closet! Thank you sir. πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ’°

      Delete
  9. I'd keep the coat that fit. Return the one that doesn't. Next year, you can always put the coat up on a online garage sale site and buy yourself a new coat if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, that's right I could sell the bigger one. I feel even better now, thank you. πŸ‘πŸ‘

      Delete
  10. Well that was a big vote for returning the XL. Me included! I've been disappointed too many times to order any more clothes on line. I want to see, feel, try on and even smell the wearables. Glad you are happy with your new coat, Doug. Comfortable walks ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Florence, yeah I really appreciated all the advice here and I VERY much agree about feeling disappointed with online wear. Getting something I like this much is a rare thing! πŸ‘πŸ™‚πŸ’•

      Delete
  11. Keep the smaller one and if it still doesn't fit in a year, sell it on ebay. I recently ordered a Christmas T-shirt, remembering sizes run a bit small I ordered XL and now wish I had got the XXL. My T-shirt fits, but I prefer them loose. Perhaps it will be, bu=y the time I lose that 37 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River, but Ebay is such a hassle and I don't think I'd get my full money back... I have it packed up and ready to go back to Amazon!

      Delete
  12. I'd return the one that doesn't fit too. I'd rather be comfortable for now and then when I lose the weight, I'd look again because something else might be on sale. Actually, if you look in my closet, you'd see 3 winter coats. Never mind Art rolling his eyes. I bought two of them at Costco (light weight) for $39 at different times for travel. One is longer than the other (and roomier). The third one is down to almost my knees, thicker from Lands End and no hood. Anyway, you'll have fun looking for a new coat when you lose your weight because I have faith in you that you will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay, yes I got it packed up & ready to go back--I used to have 3-4 winter coats myself, what happened to them?? Anyway, I have a feeling the weight loss won't make a big difference next winter, we'll see!

      Delete
  13. All good advice here! I too would turn the smaller one back and have the money, looking forward to rewarding next winter with a new coat. Glad you now have a coat that fits, Doug. And this was a very interesting post, all around. Your fans enjoyed it (that would include me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, you are being way too kind; I was going to post a follow-up blog apologizing for this boring one! You just steered me away from that, thank you. :^)

      Delete
  14. I would be keep both coats. They are very good looking and you will regret sending the smaller one back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, Gigi I hope not! I just got back from the UPS Dropoff (where I returned it). It really was too small, I tried it on this morning for the final time and I'm not sure I could lose enough to EVER fit in it.

      Delete
  15. And thank you for the video. I've always liked the song, but didn't pay really close attention to the words. It was good to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay, you're too kind! I've always liked the song too, and it just seemed to fit here. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  16. Mr. Dug, my late entry: with no political affiliations noted above, returning the smaller one won. But you did give me an idea to order things in two sizes and return the one I don't like. Not sure I've ever done that. L.L. Bean has excellent, durable stuff, but it's reviews also say their coats run small. I love how they have the snaps, hoods, and zippers easily used. One of my old long quilted sub-zero winter coats is a Lands End, and I had to put on zipper pull attachments, and the zippers get caught in the fabric sometimes. I broke down and got it when L.L. Bean was out of my size and color.....because I waited too long.... I even had to wait and order jackets for my grown kids cuz they were out so soon into the season. Guess some could be on a boat in the ocean waiting for a loading dock now. Yep, winter layers makes a bigger coat a lot nicer. Or else, you'll feel like you're in a hockey player's outfit! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yep, the song choice was good; I've always liked it, because that's happened to me many years ago....not about coats though. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, me too---and I'm sorry I missed your message here...

      Delete
  18. The deed is done since you've shipped the smaller coat back so not much point in my pov now. Certainly makes sense to keep the coat that best fits since you need one you can wear now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still appreciate you chiming in, thank you Joared!

      Delete
  19. Keep both and then the smaller one will be an incentive to lose the Weight and fit into it better, how's that? *winks* I've done that as an incentive and it works for me and I'm overjoyed to finally fit into the smaller wardrobe. I do keep the larger roomy wardrobe until it gets too loose, sometimes I like things looser if I'm doing something physical with it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bohemian, but you're too late! I returned the coat a couple days after this blog! But it was WAY too tight--I'm hoping the larger one will still be a good fit if I lose a ton :^)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.