Tuesday, October 18, 2022

My 3 neighbors: I may sing to one, befriend the second & I don’t know yet about the third

Recently, my favorite maintenance man Josh told me they rented #404 (the apartment down the hall from me) to a tall black woman named Chantilly. She was moving in later this week.  Chantilly?  Like the song Chantilly Lace? 

Maybe I’d greet her with a big “Hellooo Baby!” like the Big Bopper when I introduced myself.  Anyway, I thought I’d go down the hall and sneak a last peek at the apartment, see if they made any big updates.  I know… I’m nosy.

So I’m down there appreciating the new window blinds and sparkle of everything when I decide to head back to my place to change my shoes and go downstairs to the gym.  As I carefully open the front door, the tenant in #405 is just coming home and unlocking his own door.  Oops, I’m busted. 

I say “Um, hi.  I live up the hall from you, I was just down here taking a peek at #404 before the new tenant moves in.  I hope you don’t turn me in for breaking and entering.”

This guy is big.  VERRRY big.  He looks like he’s 6’5” and weighs 425 lbs. He has a shaved head and full beard, and is on crutches.  He laughs and says “No worries, I was going to check it out too.”  He extends his hand.  “I’ve seen you around, I’ve been wanting to introduce myself.  I’m Alex.”

We exchange some small talk, and a couple things come to mind.  This man is the walking definition of a gentle giant.  He also strikes me as someone highly educated, he speaks very well.  Behind him I can see a couple of nice art pieces on his living room wall.

I finally tell him I should get going and it was nice meeting him, he says likewise and if there’s ever anything I need, please let him know.  I tell him I should be the one making that offer, if he doesn’t mind me asking, why is he on crutches?  He tells me that on September 30, he was coming home, slipped in some water off the elevator and broke his leg.  I said “Good grief!  Did you contact building management?”  He laughed and said yes, but decided not to sue as he liked living here.  I laughed & said goodnight.

The next day, I’m downstairs collecting my mail and see a package from DXL.  That’s a clothing company for big & tall men, I wonder if it’s for Alex?  Yep, it’s for Alex P, in Apt #405.  I bring the package upstairs and set it by his front door, return to my own apartment, get on my laptop and do a little sleuthing.

I find Alex—rather, his professional bio.  I’m shocked at the irony.

Later that day, I run into my friend & neighbor Opal.  I tell her about #404 being rented out, and ask if she ever talked to Alex in #405 and what a nice person he is.  She says no, but she’s seen him and wondered why he was on crutches.

I said I knew why, and wait until she hears what he does for a living.

After I told her how he slipped to the ground and broke his leg, she said “I thought you said he broke it inside?  The ground is outside.”  I said “Okay, the floor then.  He slipped on the floor.” 

Opal said “Where?”  I said “Off the elevator.”  Opal said “How?”  I said “He said he slipped in some water.”  Opal said “I thought he fell inside.”  I said “HE DID.  THE WATER WAS INSIDE.  ON THE FLOOR.” 

Opal said On our floor?  I didn’t see any water on the floor.” 

I said “It didn’t happen today, it happened September 30.”  Opal said “Why did you wait to tell me now?  Why didn’t you tell me then?” 

I said “Did you have a stroke recently I’m not aware of?  I have to go now before I do something I’ll regret.”   Opal is clapping her hands and laughing now.  She says “Haha!  Did I get you fired up Doug?  Hold on, what did you mean by wait until I hear what he does?”

I said “HE’S A PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER.  AND I HOPE HE CAN RECOMMEND A GOOD DEFENSE ATTORNEY BECAUSE I MAY NEED ONE SOON.”

Welcome to the Tiffany, Chantilly!

36 comments:

  1. This is priceless. I am glad you are making some friends among your very weird neighbors, though. Thanks for the morning grins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you DJan, you're very kind. πŸ™‚♥️

      Delete
  2. Apartment buildings are interesting places. I've never lived in a big building like yours, but it puts your neighbors close up and personal...for better or for worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby for better or worse is so true, I've seen people break their lease and move out because they couldn't stand their next door neighbor! I have been very lucky. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  3. PS Suggestion? Do NOT say "HELLOOOOOOOO BABY! to Chantilly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Doug, you always have an interesting story about your fellow apartment dwellers.
    Opal is a card.πŸ˜†
    Have a good week.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin! Hope all is good with you, and yes Opal is something alright. She's lucky I have a sense of humor! πŸ˜‰ Hope you have a good week too. πŸ™‚♥️

      Delete
  5. Your building is a perfect set for a ... well, I can't decide if it should be a drama or a sit-com!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, good question. Well, at least it gives a humdrum person like myself something to write about! πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  6. You've definitely got a good mix of characters in your apartment building. Everyone seems friendly and that works well for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan but we have some not so great residents too. I started writing about one a week or so ago but decided it was too negative. Maybe I should post it after all... πŸ€”πŸ™‚

      Delete
  7. I have to stop laughing so I can type this comment. Opal seems like a real character and she seems to know you well.
    The fact Alex is a personal injury lawyer makes his comment about not suing management that much more ironic. Seems a good guy to get to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maebeme, I'm pinning a gold star to your comment! Thank you! And you're exactly right about Opal, I'm gullible and she knows it! πŸ˜„⭐

      Delete
  8. Alex does seem like a good guy to know. He could come in handy and with his size you definitely want to be in his friend zone. Opal had me worried for your previous conversations didn't sound so "not quite all there." She really got you good. You do have interesting neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Patti--I couldn't agree more about Alex, I hope we become pals. As for Opal, she gives new meaning to the word ornery! We do have some interesting residents here, I just hope they don't find out they're in my blog πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

      Delete
  9. I would love meeting interesting (and quirky) people in an apartment building. However, as you mention, it's a crap shoot and sometimes it's crap. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret it's like that old Osmond song "one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch girl" πŸ˜‹πŸŽ

      Delete
  10. Oh, I love it when you describe your neighbours, Doug! My favourite entertainment. Alex sounds like a nice friendly guy/potential friend. Looking forward to your report on the tall Chantilly. As for new neighbour #3, a mystery person we'd all like to know about. Opal sure is a quirky lady. Funny, I lived in my highrise for decades but never really got to know the other dwellers. It seems everyone had jobs and just wanted to be left alone in their spare time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Florence! Actually, neighbor #3 is Opal, who lives right down from the elevator on my floor. She likes to tease me sometimes, but when I go up the street to the Hallmark store or the dentist, they always tell me how Opal is always talking about me in a good way. At least she's rarely boring! But you know, most of the people in the building are just like you said they just want to be left alone. I don't blame them when I was working I was the same way. πŸ™‚πŸ

      Delete
  11. That sounded like a “Who’s on first” moment, lol! The only large buildings I lived in were military housing and we were all young and didn’t care about too much. I did have a downstairs neighbor who had a piano ( very rare in Germany, in military housing) and enjoyed listening to her play. ❤️ Joyce in Fl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Joyce so true, Who's on first it's just what it felt like! Anyway, what a lovely memory.. I 'd very much enjoy having a piano player above or below me. Thank you for sharing.. πŸ™‚πŸŒΊ

      Delete
  12. You have such fun people living at your apartment building. Alex sounds like a really nice guy to have as a friend. I know I would love to have him for a neighbor too. And Opal is a real card. Too funny. I hope Chantilly is fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! Yeah I hope Alex stays around for awhile, I had a really good feeling about him right away. And I have to admit it, Opals a fun character. But I don't think my next neighbor report is going to be this much fun.. πŸ™„πŸ™‚πŸŒΊ

      Delete
  13. So sorry the attorney fell and needs crutches. I agree, don't sue if he likes living there. That Opal is something else. How annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi, thanks for the comment. I know you didn't mean to but you made me chuckle. And I know Opal can be a handful sometimes, but I think you'd like her if you got to meet her. πŸ™‚πŸŒΊ

      Delete
  14. I’m coming over soon and I want introduced to Opal and Chantilly. Then I am going to show them your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, is that you? I'll introduce you to Opal if you swear on a Bible first you won't tell her she's on my blog! πŸ˜„

      Delete
  15. Dug, your stories remind me of the series on Hulu called "Only Murders in the Building". It is a comedy/mystery with Steve Martin and Martin Short. Not that there are any murders in your building... but funny situations and strange funny characters.
    And I was always a fan of 'the Big Bopper' and "Chantilly Lace" !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rian, I've seen a few of those episodes just because I like Martin Short so much. I sure would love to live in that apartment building! And I'm glad to see there's another fan of the Big Bopper, ever since I was told Chantilly is moving in, I've been listening to his music on YouTube. πŸ™‚πŸŒΉπŸ‘

      Delete
  16. Uh, you might want to find out more about Chantilly before singing to her. And I hope your new friend Alex doesn't sue you for putting his bio on your blog, but then, that's public info, right? Watch out for water on the floor. Somebody probably spilled some and didn't think to wipe it up. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kidding about the singing of course, as for the water on the floor, I am almost 100% positive Alex came home after maintenance did their end-of-week mopping of the tiled sections of the hallways. They usually put out those yellow warning signs around the wet spots, maybe they forgot or took them down too soon. :^(

      Delete
  17. You might want to hold off on the singing until you find out if she likes that sort of thing. She may just bust you in the chops for being cheeky. Not something you'd want after all your poor jaw has already been through. I do hope she is nice though, it's good to have friends where you live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I was just kidding about the singing but that was sweet of you looking out for my jaw. Thank you! πŸ™‚♥️

      Delete
  18. Hi Doug have you heard the answer song to Chantilly Lace? Its on Music for a Bachelor's Den 7: Sex Kittens in Hi-Fi: The Blondes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBRzqkptA4w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken it is so nice seeing your name my old friend! I hope you're well---and no I didn't know there was an answer song, but I'm going to check it out right now, thank you :^)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.