I got my updated Advantage card yesterday, so I called Pennie. I spent the next 11 minutes identifying myself by answering 'Yes', 'No' or punching various numbers on my phone. It was trying my patience, but I get it--they REALLY want to ensure someone isn't posing as me. I finally get a computer voice saying "The next agent will respond to your call. There is a current wait time of 7 minutes."
Cue the godawful wait music. TWENTY TWO MINUTES LATER, Abu from 'The Simpsons' says (in the heaviest Hindi accent possible) "Hlu entarrour fooro dodos if yor su-chill shoity."
I said "I'm sorry, can you repeat that? I can't understand you." He repeated it. I repeat myself. I get the same nonsensical response. I said "This isn't working, can I speak to someone else?" I hear more gobbledygook. I said "I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude but I CANNOT UNDERSTAND YOU." He begins speaking in tongues again. I sadly hang up.
I realize we all need to eat, we all need to live, most of us need to work. But for a customer service line for Pennsylvanians who pretty much speak English only, why must they outsource it to people with the heaviest accents this side of Bangladesh? I worked with several people from India in my career, have had several doctors too. They all had accents, but spoke well and were easy to talk to.
I called Pennie back a couple hours later, went thru the same 10 minutes of AI prompts, was told there was a 1 hour wait time, would I like to be called back, I said yes. AI said "Great, you will be called back within one hour." No one called back. I eventually figured out what to do on the Pennie website. SO GLAD I AM DONE WITH PENNIE.
I've lived in my apartment 8 1/2 years and have never seen the second house across the street from me. It had giant hedges that separated the houses, and a tremendous tree in front that hid the house and went way above the rooftop.
It took 9 hours to chop everything down. (They returned the next day and got rid of that remaining trunk and pile of wood.)
I realize this isn't a good picture, it's reflecting my vertical blind. I should've taken one of the sidewalk below while it was going on. It was lined with people in my neighborhood, all holding their phones out, taking pictures.
Last night when I was taking my trash downstairs, I ran into the transgender person who lives in the first floor apartment across from that house. He was standing outside smoking and asked me if I noticed the trees were gone. Er... yes.
He wasn't happy. He pointed behind us and said "That's my window. I hope they enjoy the view." 😐
Finally, I recently saw a story where a man was found dead, face down on his kitchen floor. When they rolled him over, they discovered a kitchen knife and a box of (thawed) frozen hamburger patties.
Apparently he'd been trying to pry one free, only to force his knife too hard and pushed the blade into his chest. I'm sorry, I know this was a grisly thing to share but it was a real wake up call. I'm a big fan of these frozen hamburgers, and often do the same thing. I've learned my lesson.




Thanks for my morning giggle session. My reaction to the telephone customer service would've been exactly like yours, but omg, reading your description of the interaction had me in hysterics! 😂 I'm ashamed to say I also laughed at your neighbor's reaction to the tree removal and I may have even snickered at the poor hamburger guy's sad demise, who knew that was even possible? Anyway, I needed the laughs as it's hot, humid and rainy here this morning with more unpleasant humidity on the horizon. Boo!
ReplyDeleteI hope you're feeling well today. As for frozen burgers or other items, I've found a few hard whacks on the counter while in the package often loosens them.
Thanks Bobi! I worried about posting all 3 of these items, I didn't want to sound racist or transphobic. Having a pretty rough morning too, but your kindness and giggles makes things better. 🙂
DeleteI am sure you were speaking to someone in India or Pakistan as most companies have sent their customer service off-shore. I'm glad you were able to use the website to do what needed to be done. Like you, I have difficulty undertanding thick accents (and that includes some English speaking folks), when added to my slight hearing loss makes phone calls difficult. I often use a chat box instead and keep asking to speak to a real person...eventually I get one.
ReplyDeleteHmm...I have to wonder what they do in front of their window that will be a show for the neighbour across the street.
As for the knife and frozen burgers...this is definitely a lesson.
Thanks Maebeme, I know they're using those Indian centers to save money, those poor folk are probably paid a fraction. But if you can't understand them, what's the use? As for that transgender person... he walks around here a lot in a long flowing robe, so who knows. 🤔
DeleteI love hearing about your totally random adventures! I recently got an email from my investment guy that I had missed a call from him. It’s not time for a review but I called him anyway. Nothing about accents, but he answered all flustered, and I reminded him he had called ME. Then he says he’s just gotten some bad news and should probably just go home, right now. I said of course, we don’t need to do this, but he said well, you’re already on the phone. I made it quick. It was so weird! And I now wonder what happened. Joyce
ReplyDeleteJoyce, thank you and forgive me, but this gave me a chuckle--you should have your own blog. I sure hope things are okay with your investment guy!
DeleteSo sorry you went through all that. I know it’s tough to tell someone you don’t understand their accent you really don’t want to be rude…and I always stay on the line when the AI says we will hold your place in line…really? I don’t think so!! I’ll hold!
ReplyDeleteBeth
Thanks Beth, and lesson learned about AI "holding my place in line"... bull!
DeleteI've had the same experiences with customer service and blame the company over the person, but still--it's horribly frustrating. I try to be nice but spending all day (or days?) trying to accomplish a task is taxing on the patience. I'm happy that it got accomplished. Oh, dear, on the sights best left unseen. LOL
ReplyDeleteHaha thank you Margaret, and well said my friend ☺️👍
DeleteDoug, I have had both good and bad experiences with overseas outsourced tech support call centers. At the worst, like what you had, is someone with an incredibly thick undecipherable accent, but usually I would get a person who's really tech savvy and would guide me step by step in solving whatever the problem was. As for the tree, it might've been taken down because it posed a hazard. Here in Toronto, trees in the front yard is considered city property; if you want it gone, you'd have to get a certified arborist check on it and deem it unsafe or sick in order to get rid of it. That poor guy's death was a pretty bizarre freak accident. I'm always very careful handling knives. Good luck on your Medicare odyssey, my friend.
ReplyDeleteSteve from Toronto
Thanks Steve--I've spoken to plenty of people with accents on the phone over the years, I'm just saying this one was indecipherable. Before Pennie came along, I got my insurance from the Federal Marketplace and the service was always excellent. Glad I'm switching to Medicare. As for that tree, that's a good question--I don't know if it was privately cut down, or a government thing. It posed a danger to that house, I bet.
DeleteDoug, "Abu from The Simpsons" made me literally LOL because I can SO relate. I always go out of my way not to be *that* person when it comes to accents, but damn. Too much is too much. I don't resent the person on the other end of the line; I blame the company that hires them. All too often you don't have a choice to do business with someone else, though.
ReplyDeleteAnd speaking of trees! We're living parallel lives at the moment. A neighbor two doors down on our street cut two of the beautiful old Sweetgum trees on his property down, and we used to love to watch the sunset light on them from our back porch. My husband dearly loved those trees and cursed the whole day while they were being destroyed. We mourn every time a neighbor cuts a beautiful tree down in the neighborhood.
The steak knife story is horrifying. I had to think about it for a minute to figure out how he stabbed himself in the chest, though. Yikes!
Thanks Jennifer! Well, when Pennie started a few years ago it seemed so well run. It sucks getting old, but at least I'm being forced to give up my own insurance. And so true about the trees, I'm still mourning the one they chopped down in front of my building 7 years ago. As for the frozen burgers, it sounds awkward but I've come close myself. 🤐
DeleteWhat a sad story about the gentleman and the hamburger patties. A lesson to all of us who use knives to pry frozen items. I have a worse one about transporting heavy objects untethered in the back of a pickup as related to me by my volunteer fire department brother in-law. Just be aware it is a really bad idea.
ReplyDeleteI totally understand about the accent. And it isn't being racist. My cardiologist has a Middle Eastern accent and I lean in when he speaks to me in person and he will repeat what he said slower. But if he would call me on the phone, I would be lost. It is said that they haven't had diction classes with their foreign employees and taught them how ot communicate better with their English speaking clients.
I'm not sure why your neighbor is worried about his window. The trees across the street weren't blocking him, were they? It's exposing the people who had the trees and bushes on their property. I am always said when trees are chopped down.
Thanks for sharing Miss Merry, omigod the pickup story...I can well imagine. And I very much appreciated you sharing your own foreign accent story, I feel guilty but I'm not trying to get a job speaking to people in India either! As for the transgender guy downstairs, I guess he just feels exposed to the people in that house now. Each of us have 7x7 foot windows in our units, and his like mine faces the street. 🫣
DeleteDug, I think we have all experienced the heavy accent agent on the phone who we can't understand and feel so bad saying, "I'm sorry, but I can't understand you"... and they just repeat ... and we still can't understand. And with my hearing loss, I feel even more guilty. But all you can do is call back later and hope you get someone else. And it's not racist... it's "accent-ist"?? Both my dentist and my cardiologist are Indian (I think) but I can understand their accents easily.
ReplyDeleteAs for the story about the man who stabbed himself in the kitchen accidentally, I have a 'near accident ' story that's similar. When I was very pregnant, I was turning with a large knife or scissors (can't remembe which... it was a long time ago) in my hand and I tripped... luckily I caught myself before falling but I remember how it scared me as the knife or scissors was close to my belly...
And as for the large tree... I too am always sad to see a tree cut down. Your neighbor can buy shades if he's worried.
Thank you Rian, and your "accent-ist" gave me a smile, I love it. Very scary story you s4hared there, so glad you caught yourself! As for the tree, yes I really miss it too. Anyway, I sure hope you are well. 🙂🧡
DeleteTerrible, the same problems all over the world :(( Sad, they only collect money, and when we need something, I have to fight for my rights! I wish you lots of success, you have my hug, Andreja!
ReplyDeleteYou're very kind, thank you Andreja 🙂
DeleteThe first part of your column makes me happy that I live in Australia.
ReplyDeleteThere’s a huge plane tree on the footpath just outside my window. That means that there are about half a dozen houses across the street I can only see in winter, well unless I go outside, of course.
And the third part, I’m glad I always make my hamburgers from scratch – some diced onion, a good gloop of Dijon mustard, and more than a splash of soy sauce. I saw this recipe on a cooking show in Boston. I’ve made them that way ever since.
I suppose I might slice my finger off chopping the onions, but it’s unlikely I’d stab myself.
Peter my good man, in my defense I've spent my entire life making my own hamburgers--I tried the frozen ones years ago and hated them. But a couple years ago, Bubba Burgers and Philly Gourmet began putting out PREMIUM 100% GROUND CHUCK patties that are seriously the best burgers I've ever eaten. I'm just saying!
DeleteI am I am very happy with my current plan, which is devoted health. You do not have to wait till a long time to call in. They seem to answer pretty fast and the people speak impeccable English, as you would think in Hawaii I am not sure if Devoted health is available in your area but they they gave me $120 back on my Medicare premium. I pay $82 and all the benefits are very good Open enrollment is coming soon and you should consider them if available
ReplyDeleteThanks David, but my issue wasn't with my insurance company but our state's marketplace which manages all the insurance companies. Now that I'm switching to Medicare, I'm done with the state. 🙂
Delete