NOTE: I was going to post this 2 weeks ago, but was embarrassed and changed my mind. A couple days ago, my friend Margaret of Stargazer shared a scam text she'd gotten and couldn't tell if it was real. So I thought I'd share mine too.
This past Friday I got on my laptop to check my email and saw the message above.
Most of these go directly to my junk folder and I never see them, but this one made it to my inbox so I took notice.
Someone from Alexandria VA signed into my MSN account using my sign-in and password? Waitaminute... wasn't there someone from Alexandria VA on my blog's visitor map a couple hours earlier? Could the two be connected? I felt a rush of panic.
I almost clicked on the blue "Review recent activity" button in the email when I remembered an email I got from Netflix a year or so before, asking me to update my credit card info. It was phony but I fell for it, as my Visa had recently expired. They couldn't have known, but their timing was impeccable. I even clicked on the embedded button in their message to update my info.
Chase Bank contacted me an hour later and said suspicious activity had been detected on my Visa. Someone in Kansas City, MO was attempting to buy $550.00 worth of gift cards with it. I'm glad Chase knew it wasn't me. They canceled my card and issued me a new one.
Getting back to now, I looked a little closer at the sender above. "New Sign detected" instead of New Sign-In detected. And "If this wasn't you, malicious user might have access to your account." A malicious user, you scammers! "A" malicious user!
Wait, it’s from Microssoft? Microsoft has only one s! Sloppy work, scammers!
Still, I'd come awful close to clicking on their blue button. After that phony Netflix mail last year, I should've sent this to my junk folder without giving it a second thought. I admit it, I'm not as quick now.
Just a reminder not to click on any embedded buttons in emails. Some companies like Lands End, Etsy & even Netflix still use them and I admit I've clicked on a couple without thinking--new rule, never again.


I always check the details of the sender as it gives me the full address rather than the purported sender. So many scams out there - I've actually changed my e-mail provider in a effort to get away from some of the spam and scams.
ReplyDeleteSome are getting better at spelling and grammar, but errors are always a sign.
Also, I recommend checking with the real company website because some have specific e-mail addresses to report these fakes. I'm not sure what they do with them, but I suspect they have more ability to trace them.
Wow that's good advice. Thanks Maebeme. 🙂👍
DeleteGreat detective work, Doug! Sadly, I receive way more scam emails than I do real ones these days. I can usually tell by the misspellings and the details of the sender. I always contact the supposed company or organization and never click on anything. I shudder to think about how easy it is to get scammed these days though.
ReplyDeleteThanks Margaret, and I get a bunch too but they almost always go directly to my junk mail. This one didn't, which got me to sit up and take notice.
DeleteHi Dug! Yes, the number and quality of scams is/are increasing... probably more so with AI. And yes, it's important not to click on anything you're not sure of these days. And look at the address... and the spelling. It's a shame, but I don't trust anything much on my iphone or laptop (or even TV) these days. If it's questionable, just call the company with the phone number you have for them and check (but generally I just delete).
ReplyDeleteThanks Rian, to be honest I usually just delete as well.MSN is usually good at filtering out this stuff, this one almost suckered me because of a couple coincidences. What a close call!
DeleteYou had a close call there. I also get very panicky if I receive notices like that, whether it's email or by phone. The giveaway is always little mistakes such as misspellings like the one you pointed out or a particular credit card which you don't use. It seems we have to be on constant alert these days from scammers. Nice going, Doug.
ReplyDeleteSteve from Toronto
Thanks Steve, you're very kind. I just worry that the older we get, the more prone we are to getting taken. I hope you're well my friend.
Delete