Sunday, October 11, 2026

Chicken with the Dunnes, pancakes too and hoping I count

A couple days ago I walked up to Kuhn's Market, went to the deli to buy some sliced turkey for sandwiches and watched them set out a big silver pan of something sizzling. I asked "What's that" and was told they were fried chicken fillets.  They smelled delicious, so I said I'd take 3.

When I saw the price on the bag, I almost handed them back--$7.60??   The man behind the counter saw my expression and said "They're 100% seasoned breasts, if you don't like them bring 'em back."  

That was the first time someone in the supermarket offered me a guarantee, so I thanked him and brought them home.

They were bigger than I thought, I had half of one for dinner that night on a soft roll with mayonnaise and pickle slices, it was delicious.  I do my share of cooking, but shy away from frying chicken in my little cubbyhole of a kitchen.

Here's what I had the next night for dinner, and the night after that. 

Chicken fillet with roasted little potatoes & green peppers, and a good honey mustard sauce I made with mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and honey

The next night, I assembled this "fried chicken salad" Pittsburgh style (french fries on top).  It was pretty tasty, but I had trouble eating it because of an LC flare-up. 

As long as I'm at it, here's some pancakes I made for breakfast this morning.  They're not exactly perfect, but they're big and crispy on the edges and perfectly delicious.

Hmm... these photos looked a lot better when I was starving and getting ready to eat!

Do you remember Griffin Dunne?  He's the son of famed crime writer Dominick Dunne, and co-starred with David Naughton in 1981's An American Werewolf in London.  I haven't seen that horror flick in decades, but it had a huge impact on my 19 year old self with its gallows humor and cutting edge special effects.

He is also known for his younger sister Dominique Dunne, who played the older daughter in the first Poltergeist film, the one who screamed "What's happening!!!"   She was strangled on the front lawn of her apartment building by her deranged ex-boyfriend on October 30, 1982.  She was only 22.

Anyway, the reason I mention him is because of a memoir he wrote about his family, "The Friday Afternoon Club".  Something compelled me to buy it (which I'm surprised I did as I swore off celebrity bios a few years ago).

In fact, I totally forgot I owned this until I was reviewing last year's Visa purchases.  The book was still sitting in my bedroom closet, in it's cardboard box with some moth traps I bought from Amazon.

I've been spending the last week or so reading it, and do you ever come across something so good that you force yourself to ration it, not gulp it down all at once?  I've been doing just that with this book, that's how great it is.  Exceptionally well written and a fascinating read of a somewhat famous family rocked by dysfunction, fame and tragedy.

Born in 1955, Griffin sort of "coasted" into the entertainment industry, mostly because of where he grew up.  His best friend was Carrie Fisher, and they lived together in the 1970s while both got small acting jobs here & there.

He says in 1977 when Carrie landed the part of Princess Leia in Star Wars, she would call him or her mother Debbie Reynolds nightly while on location and joke about the corny film and it's dumb title, and prayed no one ever saw it.  Debbie would remind her that good or bad, it still came with a paycheck.  Six months later the movie premiered and changed Carrie's life forever.  

I'm in the final third of the book now, about his sister Dominique.  Her murderer only got a 6 1/2 year sentence, and then only served 2 1/2 years before being released.  He even went back to work as a sous chef at the same LA restaurant he worked at before--until the Dunnes set up camp there and handed fliers out to patrons detailing who would be cooking their food.  The killer (John Sweeney) changed his name and moved to another state.

Speaking of cries for justice, look what I got the day before yesterday.  After seeing those recent "Trump ads" funded by the US government, I pray more than anything my vote counts for something.  

Dear DOUGLAS EDWIN MORRIS,

ALLEGHENY County received your ballot and securely stored it for processing on election day. Ballots cannot be opened before election day.

To find information on your ballot, and to check to make sure it was counted after election day, you can click here: https://www.pavoterservices.pa.gov/Pages/BallotTracking.aspx.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your feedback! :^)