Saturday, March 21, 2020

If you have to ask, then you don’t have to ask

Back before these global pandemics of Trump and the Coronavirus, back in the happy, carefree days of the early 1990s, when men still wore suits & neckties to the office, there was a popular but short-lived trend towards floral neckties.  I was around 30 at the time and anxious to look as modern as those dudes in GQ Magazine, but still held out on the floral neckwear as long as I could. 

But as more men began wearing them downtown, and finally a couple coworkers in my own office, I knew my time had come and bought a couple.  (One was a dark olive with sunflowers, I grew quite fond of that one & held onto it until I moved in 2016!)

I wasn’t the only guy struggling with these though.  One morning, I was sitting at my desk looking thru the assortment of memos in my “IN” basket (this was when paper was king and email a novelty) when I was approached by our IT guy, Mark.  He was around my age, liked by everyone but not exactly known for his fashion sense.  The minute I swiveled my chair in his direction, I was greeted with what HAD to be a vintage necktie; it was a shiny ivory with laughing cherubs, their chubby little hands tossing roses above their curly-topped heads.

Mark said “Does this tie look gay to you?”  I said it looked kitschy, and kind of perverse, but not gay.  Mark then proceeded to ask the other men in our office if they thought it looked perverted, and Ed S. said “Don’t you drive a white van?”  (Mark did, full of computer gear.)  Someone asked if it was full of candy and the entire office howled. 

Finally Rich Hester (our department head) said “Mark if you have to ask, then you don’t have to ask.”   I don’t know why, but that line always stuck with me.

I thought of all that yesterday morning, when I was visiting my dear friend Kay’s blog Musings.  She shared a link to a recent NBC news story where Donald Trump had crossed out the word “CORONA” in a speech he was making about the virus and replaced it (using his infamous black Sharpie) with the word “CHINESE”.

1207670368

While this should bother anyone with a conscience and an ounce of humanity, Kay and her family were particularly upset, being Asian American.  Trump’s just gotta spread that hate whenever he gets the opportunity.  (He was even called out by a reporter for it, but was defiant.)  I sure wish he’d go away with that Covid-19.  As far as viruses go, TRUMP-1 is the worst.

But it immediately got me to thinking about my own recent blog, the one about my neighbor Mike scamming toilet paper from the other residents in our building.  It’s funny…. when it happened 3 nights ago, I was ticked off.  But when I was sharing it with a friend this morning, couldn’t stop laughing.

The thing is, when I wrote about it here I pointed out he was a young African-American man in his twenties.  Should I have shared he was black?  If you have to ask…  I’m not a racist (at least, I don’t want to be) but I can be a little thoughtless sometimes. 

Anyway, I removed Mike’s ethnicity from that post and I’m sorry for even sharing his toilet paper caper in the first place… there are far bigger things happening to all of us right now. 

To be honest though, I’d love to know how many rolls Mike wound up collecting.  Eye rolling smile

native on tie

12 comments:

  1. Oh my! Thank you for your kind words. I'm so upset with Trump's handling of this pandemic. Why the heck isn't he getting on the ball with having companies create more masks and equipment for the frontline workers?

    I have some rolls of toilet paper, but not a ton of it, that's for sure. I happened to be at Sam's Club before the panic and bought one pack. I didn't think I needed more for the three of us. I wish I'd gotten two now, but ah well... Anyway, we installed a Toto bidet toilet a while ago so that really helps in this time of crisis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay I wanted to thank YOU for opening my eyes a little wider, and I agree 101% about Trump's handling this (nevermind the fact he crowed it was a 'Democratic hoax' at the start). I just wish he'd shut up--no one is expecting him to know everything, so why in heck does he keep pretending to?? Actions speak louder than words!

      BTW, that's great about your bidet--I'm almost 60 and didn't know they were so popular in much of the world.

      Delete
  2. Oh, those gaudy ties! What were they thinking?! Doug, your description of TP scrounger, Mike, did not make me lift an eyebrow at all. I just appreciate adjectives that help me visualize the scene in my mind. Humor is gold in these times so please keep the descriptives coming! As for Trump, I never let him finish a sentence before I grab the clicker and change the channel. He completely creeps me out. (shiver)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence you'e too kind, this is just what I needed to hear. Much appreciated--and YES omigosh I do the same thing--jump for my remote, change the channel. I cannot take him. Thanks again :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you Laurie, you're very kind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story about your co-worker's tie made me laugh. And Trump mentioning the Chinese virus is just typical of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi! I tend to reminisce (a lot), so this was very appreciated. As for Trump, yes it's typical but we'll never get used to it.

      Delete
  5. I cracked up at the "Don't you drive a white van comment." Thanks for the giggle. Don't remember those ties. I do remember those skinny ones.
    Trump has to deflect anything away from himself and doesn't care how he does it. He keeps giving Obama the blame for the handling. Huh??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, up until the year 2005 or so, I was the necktie expert! Thankfully I'm now nooseless :) And yes YES about Trump... why doesn't he understand he'd command a lot more respect if he stopped acting like a 10 year old. So clueless!

      Delete
  6. Yes it seems racist, but the virus DID come from China. Still, simply calling it Covid-19 like the rest of the world would be a better move for the trumpster. I never liked floral neckties, always thought someone had made them from their Nanna's old tablecloths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, River.. just that Asians are being attacked here in the US, and Trump just makes it worse--he makes everything worse. I had to laugh at Nanna's tablecloths, so glad I'm done with ties! Hope you guys are doing okay down there... if it's not one calamity, its another :(

      Delete
  7. We seem to be doing okay, the number of cases has ramped up a bit, but still nowhere near the numbers in the northern hemisphere. We do have orders to stay home unless shopping for necessities, no gatherings more than two people, keep a 2 metre distance between yourself and others while out. I'm not a social person, so staying home isn't a hardship for me, but others are fretting about not being able to go places with friends etc.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.