Thursday, March 5, 2020

As God is my witness, I’ll never go hungry again (from paying a small fortune to file my taxes)!

I just completed my taxes.  I owe $62.00 to the Feds, and $597.00 to State.  (Ouch!  Well, in Pennsylvania it’s a flat 3% tax rate and I underestimated my quarterly tax payments.)

But I’m still rubbing my hands together in glee:  for the first time in years, I WAS ABLE TO PREPARE AND E-FILE BOTH MY FEDERAL & STATE TAX RETURNS FOR FREE.

Last year when I was sweating over my taxes, I was using the online edition of Turbotax Premier.  At the final review phase, I was checking all my numbers and something felt amiss.  I pulled out my taxes from the year prior, and yep—I was missing an 8606 Form (for reporting a Roth conversion from my IRA).  

When I called Turbotax, I got a man who didn’t have a clue what I was talking about and switched me to his supervisor, a cheerful woman who insisted the form was just a fomality.  I explained to her that no, it wasn’t; I HAD to file the 8606 form to keep from getting hit with a 10% early withdrawal penalty.  She suggested I pick one up from the Post office, fill it out myself and snail-mail it separately “if it would help me sleep better”.

This is what I was paying $139.00 for??

A couple days after all was said & done, I got another call from Turbotax, a cross-sounding woman who said the form WAS required, and now available for e-file.  After I told her I already took care of it, she said “What I want to know is, WHY is someone at your income level using our most expensive software?  We offer a free version of Turbotax right on our website, Mr. Morris.”

tt1

I told her it’s for ‘simple’ taxes only.  I tried using it before, but got a pop-up screen saying my taxes were too complex to qualify for free filing and I’d have to pay for the Premier version.   She said “Well, you’re still paying too much—if you purchase the DELUXE next year, you’ll save $30.00.” 

I told her I’d love to save thirty bucks, but the deluxe version didn’t process investment transactions.  She told me I was wrong, but she’d check.  She came back and said the online deluxe didn’t, but the CD deluxe did.  (Why is there a difference?)  I told her I couldn’t use the CD Deluxe as I didn’t have a working CD drive on my computer.  She asked me if I had a COSTCO membership.  I said no and c’mon, enough.

I knew their products better than they did!  As God is my witness, I’d never pay for Turbotax again!

And now, a year later (and wondering how I’d be filing my taxes this year) I caught a spokesperson from the IRS on CNBC a couple days ago, explaining why the government didn’t supply their own tax software products.  He said the IRS had an agreement with tax preparation companies that they wouldn’t supply free software if H&R Block, Turbotax & others did.  “You just have to go thru the IRS website to get access to them.”

I went to IRS.gov, clicked on “Do your Taxes for Free”, selected good ol’ Turbotax from the list of available suppliers, and instead of that screen above, got this one:

tt2

When I clicked to begin, it asked if I filed with Turbotax last year:  I said yes and they pulled all the information up.  “Any changes to your personal information, Douglas?”  Nope.  When it asked if I had any investments, I thought here’s where I get the boot and said “Yep, I have a 1099-R form, a 1099-F, a 1099-B, a 1099-DIV…“

It let me know my 1099s were found online & imported.  Nice!  A few questions later, it announced we were done, and e-filing for both Federal & State were completed.  Really??  It never asked for my credit card information, or recommended I upgrade or buy additional audit products.  It worked just the same as Turbotax Premier, without all the hassle.

Well, I still owe that small bundle to the Fed & State—and in the last couple weeks my stock portfolio has lost around 70K in value, thanks to Trump’s coronavirus (yes, I’m blaming him).  But I still saved $139.00 filing my taxes!

Life is good.  Nerd smile

14 comments:

  1. I'm happy for you that you saved money, I only owe a little over 2,000 this year and I had 4,000 put aside for it so I'm feeling good about my taxes as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, $2000.00?? Well, I know taxes can be extra tough when you're self-employed Courtney... glad you had it put aside...

      Delete
    2. Well, next year I'll be contributing to an IRA, giving me a break, plus making quarterly deposits; as I only started making real money from it in June & we decided the penalty was small enough to deal with this time since I was spending initial monies on additional equipment & websites & licenses, etc.

      Delete
  2. Wow that original Turbotax agent was super annoying. I really hate high pressure selling. Congrats on a better result this year. Once I retired, I let AARP do mine for free each year and yes, they will do complicated. You don't have to be a member.
    Today I am grateful to be too old and too poor to have to bother:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti--oh I know this was a boring read (so thanks for reading) but I guess getting Turbotax for free this year just kinda tickled me, since I didnt feel I got my money's worth last year :) And very interesting about AARP, I wasn't aware they did taxes.. thank you for the input!

      Delete
  3. Sorry you had to deal with the disappointing Turbotax customer service but glad you followed the IRS link and easily completed your task with the free version. My brother files with Turbotax but my sister and I fill in the old fashioned paper forms and send our copies by snail mail. Otherwise, we do keep up with the times. (more or less) Big thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a nice comment. Much appreciated. I hope your jaw condition has improved, Doug. It seems to be taking a long time to mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Florence--I used to file by paper too when my taxes were simpler (no investment stuff to contend with, no Obamacare). When I saw your new blog the other day, I DID wonder how Canadians filed. As for the TMJ, yes taking forever to get better. But I was told it can take anywhere from weeks to years. :(

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh! That is making my head spin. Art does all the taxes and we take it to an accountant to submit. However, he says he has to fill out ALL the information beforehand on a tax organizer so he feels like he’s doing 75% of the work anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha---Kay it makes my head spin too, and I know just how Art feels! I feel like for the money I'm paying I shouldn't have to go over everything with a fine tooth comb, and show TT why it's wrong. But if I can file for free like this year... I have zero complaints :)

      Delete
  5. Hubby has done our taxes since the year we got married in 1980. I don't have the brains to tackle TurboTax. You have an interesting blog. I'll put you on my blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gigi, and thank you for the kind words. (I know this latest post was a pretty boring one.) I'm not sure I believe that about your brains comment though--my mom used to say the same thing until my dad passed, she discovered how smart she was all along. :)

      Delete
  6. The last time I tried to file for free I got all the way to the end and then was told since I had rental property it was going to cost me. What a scam! I started to fill out an account with one this year and backed out when it stated in the user agreement that I would pay for use of their software.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know what Ken, you're right--that is when they usually spring their "oh it's not free after all". I understand it's a business & can't give away their product to everyone, but if you're gonna advertise you're free... well, I learned my lesson. Just go to irs.gov :)

      Delete
  7. Our on-line tax forms are free, I think there is only one option available from the Tax Department and after the first year I find it quite easy to use, since I have no investments of any kind. All the years I was working I never ever owed any taxes and always got a refund after submitting my form. Now I'm retired and living on a pension, I don't pay taxes so don't get refunds, but that's okay with me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.