Friday, May 1, 2020

I can’t believe I almost fell for this scam—just a warning if you get this too

After logging into my laptop this morning, I saw I had some new mail and when I opened the first message, ‘Netflix’ was asking me to re-enter or update my payment information.

I consider myself a pretty savvy guy when it comes to the scams out there, but I ALMOST FELL FOR THIS ONE for a couple reasons:

  1. After being off of Netflix since December, I rejoined last month with a new card.
  2. Just recently, that same card was denied on Keurig.com.  (I’m still waiting for my bank to get back to me, it works just fine on Amazon.)

So when I saw this alert from Netflix, I thought “Not problems with that new credit card again!” and went to click on the first button to retry or update my monthly payment.

That’s when I noticed they misspelled ‘Method’ as ‘Menthod’ in the second button—and as ‘Methode’ in the text above the buttons.  

You’d think these lamebrain scammers would check their spelling before going to all this trouble!

I can’t believe I came so close to clicking on one of those, God knows where they would’ve taken me.  Even the sender’s address didn’t appear phony to me at first glance.

I’ve learned my lesson and will NEVER entertain the notion of clicking on a button embedded in an email message again.  The more I think about it, the more I realize that Netflix would never send an email with one of those embedded buttons—right?

n2


Oh well!  Just a reminder to be careful out there, guys Eye rolling smile

14 comments:

  1. I got caught years ago and was scammed out of $50,000,000 in fake on-line poker chips. A cheap lesson. Now like you say, I never open any site from any email, unless I am expecting something from a friend. I don't trust those "If you don't want these messages click here" tabs either. As a result I get lots of emails from places I don't want, but am afraid to tell them to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe I hope that didn't cost you any real dough!! As for those 'if you wish to unsubscribe' messages at the bottom of emails, I'm like you--I only do it if it's someone like Wayfair or LandsEnd. I think that for others, it's just a way of letting 'em know they caught a live one.

      Delete
  2. That's awful. I hope I don't fall for something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't either Gigi, we're getting older and they're getting smarter :(

      Delete
  3. Only occasionally do I get a 'fishing' email from the dark side. Being a natural born skeptic, so far I've not nibbled on any scam sandwiches. Yep, spelling errors on supposed business messages are definite eyebrow raisers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scam sandwiches, I love it :) Florence, I'm not surprised--you seem like one savvy customer.

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh! That is so scary. Thank you so much for the warning, Doug. I do have to stop myself from pressing on buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Kay, and I'm glad my embarrassing moment might help others! This taught me a lesson, don't let my head get too big :)

      Delete
  5. Phew. Thanks for the warning. Those rascles sure are determined. I get things supposedly from people I know but I always check country of origin. Pretty sure my niece doesn't live in Indonesia. And you are so right about spelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti! Getting stuff from people you know (probably from your address book) is even worse, I HAVE fallen for a few of those (that included a brief message and a link). I need to do more as you do.

      Delete
  6. It's probably better they DON'T check their spelling, this way more people will catch on and not get scammed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true River, that was the only thing that stopped me!

      Delete
  7. I was almost fooled by a text from what looked like my bank, saying my account had been compromised. The link asked for my password. Fortunately, I remembered that I never give out my cell phone number to businesses, so I then realized it couldn't be my bank. I did call to double check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bijoux--yikes, that did sound like a close call (no pun intended). It's a shame how bad it's gotten, cuz we know it isn't going to get better either. Thanks for your comment though, I know you're the real deal :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.