Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Meanwhile, in Spanish class… welcome to high school in the year of the Coronavirus

This past Monday, my sister sent this photo of my 15 year old niece with the caption “Sophia in Spanish class”.  Welcome to school during the pandemic.  I felt sorry for Soph, but happy for her too—how would she complete the school year without a computer and the internet?   Anyway, hang in there Sophia… I’m proud of you honey.

(By the way, notice those long legs?  I told you this kid was tall!)

Anyway, it got me to thinking about something my friend & old classmate Pen said to me recently:  we were talking about our school days, and she said “I wish our school had offered sign language in place of (or besides) Spanish.  I think it would’ve proved more useful.”

I can’t remember if I responded to that, but yes I very much agree.  Then it got me to thinking… what useful things DID I learn in high school?  In kindergarten I learned how to print my name, in first & second grade to read & write.  Third thru sixth, basic math skills & spelling.  

But junior high and high school?  Hmm… a couple years of algebra and a year of geometry which now pretty much escape me.  Three years of Spanish I can recuerda un poco (remember a little).  The first 6 or 7 lines of Hamlet’s Soliloquy. 

What else?  OH WAIT, I KNOW.   Nerd smile

My senior year, I took a couple business courses, including a typing class.  I remember the teacher walking up & down the rows saying “Speed & accuracy, speed & accuracy… both will be expected of a good secretary.”  I had ZERO intentions of ever becoming a secretary (I know it sounds sexist now, but 41 years ago that was still considered women’s work).  But I still enjoyed the class immensely.

It was also proving to be very useful.  I had begun doing some short story writing my senior year, which my former English teacher Mrs. Fox would read & give her opinions on.  I liked giving her typewritten pages, courtesy of that typing class & Miss Legal (our school’s librarian) who let me use her electric typewriter in her office.

Christmas day, 1978.  Looking at my ‘big Christmas present’, an electric typewriter!  (I was really surprised, these things were expensive.)  Meanwhile, Dad tells ‘Mither’ they did right

It just occurred to me, I don’t suppose they teach typing in high school anymore… most kids are probably adept at using a computer keyboard fairly early on.

Well, young people sure weren’t when I took my first computer class in college. 

Of course computers weren’t anything like today, they were just ‘dummy green monitors’ and big, klunky keyboards.  Our instructor informed us that before tackling operating systems or programming, we’d be learning how to use WordStar, a word processing tool to create a document.  He instructed us to begin typing a page of sample text from our workbooks.

As most of the other students began hunting & pecking the keys, I began CLACKETY CLACKING away like there was no tomorrow.  (My old typing skills were once around 65 words per minute.)  I didn’t realize the racket I was making in that quiet lab until our instructor came up beside my chair and said “Douglas.”  

When I stopped and looked up, he said “This class is for beginners, have you worked on a computer before?”  I said no sir.  He said “You put me in mind of the college student in that Disney movie, ‘The Computer Who Wore Tennis Shoes’.  Okay, carry on!”

Was I the only student in ihat class who had taken typing in high school or owned an electric typewriter?  C’mon!  I should’ve just told him the truth, but I let him go right on thinking what he did!

12 comments:

  1. I had typing in high school and as a result my typing is now a combination of keyboard memory and hunt and peck...at least i use most of my fingers.

    In high school I got up to 40 words a minute. Then they took away five words for every mistake and I dropped to about 20. I could do maybe 45 a minute if I was just quick brown foxing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--that's still pretty good Joe... well I still use both hands like then, but have you seen these kids text lightning speed with their thumbs? Now THAT is talent :)

      Delete
  2. You never fail to make me laugh. This is so hilarious. And, yes, Sophia has long, beautiful legs. I took typing in 8th and 9th grades and could type 105 words per minute with 3 errors on one test. Now, I don't type that well due to cramping in my right hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi, I always love your comments--thank you :) AND WHAT THE--105 words per minute, I feel like a zombie now in comparison! Well, maybe it's because you started younger than me :) Anyway I'm sorry about your hand cramping now (I seem to know a lot of people with hand issues). Thanks again for your very kind words!

      Delete
  3. Oh typing class was painful for me. I was horrid and my only saving grace was that the teacher would enlist me to help grade papers. Finally near the end of the year he pulled me aside. "Patti'" he said,"I will pass you this year only if you promise NOT to take Typing II next year." We were both good to our word. Oddly now days, I am a whiz on the computer. Don't know what my problem was in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Patti--I'm sorry for the chuckle, but your promise to that teacher got me going here! Well, you just jiggered my memory--I DID have 2 years of typing, I did take it my junior year! Anyway, I believe you're a whiz now, I see how good you are at answering all your readers--I think your very popular blog has given you some good training :)

      Delete
  4. Sign language?!! Now that would be interesting, Doug. I often wonder, when I watch an interpreter for the hearing-impaired, how they manage to cram so much meaning into such an economy of movements. Your Dad and 'Mither' gave you a nifty present with that electric typewriter. I was given a manual one. (Which I still have and can't quite bring myself to discard.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence I know what you mean in regards to sign language; I watch these people and their gestures, and wonder if the recipient is just getting the gist of what was said... as for your manual typewriter, how cool that you kept that. I loved my electric one at the time, but I think an older manual is cooler. :)

      Delete
  5. I’m always watching the sign language person in the background when a politician is giving a press conference. I love seeing their facial expressions as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, me too--I think my friend's idea was a great one.

      Delete
  6. I often wish I'd learned typing in high school, but back then it was only taught in the "commercial" stream. Our high school was divided into "commercial" and "general", the "commercial" was for those wanting to learn typing to become secretaries, or to learn other business practices. The "general" was languages and sciences along with the regular math, history, English studies, for those who wanted to go on to university I suppose and become doctors or lawyers, engineers etc. I got into "general" because my dad didn't want me being a secretary and having to sit on some boss's lap, which is what he saw in movies.
    Still, I manage the laptop okay with my three fingers hunting and pecking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting River--well, our HS was divided too into academic, business, general. But many 'mixed it up'. Too funny (but sweet too) about your dad not wanting you sitting on your boss' lap!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.