Saturday, April 25, 2020

Face masks, cookies & apologies: what comes around, goes around

The other day I wrote on here about not having a mask to go shopping (they’re mandatory in Pa now) and had to resort to odds & ends in my cupboard to make cookies.  Doug, you poor baby!  An old friend & former classmate saw my blog, reached out and asked me if I wanted a mask. 

It turns out she’s been busy at home sewing them for family, friends and others in her community.

I didn’t see her email until late that night, but thanked her & let her know it wasn’t necessary as I’d just gotten a 5-pack of white masks from Etsy in the mail.  She responded that she’d already sent one my way. 

And I’m very glad she did—because man, I love it.  The white Etsy masks aren’t bad, but they’re a bit small & awfully snug for my man-face.  My friend’s hand-sewn mask with the red, gray, black & white squares is much roomier, comfortable and makes me feel like an… urban lumberjack!

Pen, thanks very much for your kindness & generosity. 

I wanted to ‘pay it forward’, so yesterday I tacked a notice on our mailroom’s bulletin board that I had a couple of spare masks if anyone was interested.  I have 4 unused ones from that 5-pack, thought I’d send a couple to my sister and give away the other two.

A couple hours later, Betty from upstairs (a funny, outgoing 75 year old woman) knocked on my door and asked if she was too late, and could she have one for her neighbor Liz too.  When she half-stuck her head in my doorway and jokingly asked if I was giving anything else away, I said “Well, I did bake a couple dozen lemon sugar cookies the other day and still have 20 left…”  she said “Great!  I’ll take a dozen if you can put them on a plate, I’ll bring it back tomorrow!”   When I joked she must have a sweet tooth as big as mine, she said “Oh they’re not just for me—a few of us are getting together in the lobby tonight to sling some hash!”  Sling hash?   She said “Yep!  Last week we got a pizza and made a punchbowl of popcorn!  You’re welcome to come!” 

I asked her if she was worried about the virus & close contact with a bunch of others right now, she said “That’s out there, we’re in here.  I think what we’re doing is a lot healthier.” 

Betty, for your sake (and theirs) I sure hope so.

Finally, I want to apologize for what I wrote in my last blog, that a few of my friends needed to “buck up”.  I recently had my own feelings jerked around by someone I like, and I shouldn’t be taking anyone else’s lightly, especially right now.  Earlier yesterday when I walked up the street (wearing my snazzy new mask) to go to the pharmacy, seeing how quiet & empty the street & storefronts were… it really put a damper on my own spirits. 

(It was a gloomy, rainy day as well, that certainly didn’t help.)  This has been a scary, depressing reality for everyone.

But I couldn’t help but smile when the pharmacist said “Hey that’s a nice mask!”   Laughing out loud

Thanks again, Pen

12 comments:

  1. Oh darn, Doug! I’m sorry your Etsy masks didn’t work out. I’m having a hard time with the masks I’m making too. They were good for men and some women, but a few women thought they were a little too loose. sigh... So now I had to revise my pattern and make them a little smaller. I hope they won’t now be too small for men. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I wanted to mention in the blog that you offered to send me one a week earlier, it was very nice of you & much appreciated! Well I am sorry to hear of your own mask-sewing issues, I know you've been busy sewing everyday too. You guys are both awesome. :)

      Delete
  2. Face mask and cookies! You made a friend for life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David bought me a mask at the market. It fits me perfectly. When he tried it on for size, it was too small for him. The elastic bent his ear forward. He needs a man's mask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi YEP--the Etsy masks I got really bend my ears forward too. But I'm glad David got you one that fit perfectly, hope we see your masks on your blog. :)

      Delete
  4. I never thought of that but it makes sense. I got mine from Etsy and they were made by a woman. Makes sense she would make it to fit herself. Fit me perfectly. Might be a good idea if they started sizing them. The homemade ones look more personal and not quite so antiseptic and scary. Yours is sharp and definitely masculine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti, you always ssy just what I wanted to hear. :) And I agree, perhaps they should come out with 3 sizes vs 2. Well, I can't say I'm too thrilled with having to wear one, I'm sure by the time it becomes second nature we'll no longer have to--but it will be nice seeing people's naked faces again :)

      Delete
  5. Your pharmacist was intuitive! I bought a mask from a woman near us. It is okay. I'll try Etsy.

    Cookies! Another way to survive the quarantine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, Etsy has a nice collection--just make sure you filter your selection to 'Available Now'. As for my friends' mask, it looks a lot better on than on my table--and yes I definitely see more baking in my future :)

      Delete
  6. Ha! An 'urban lumberjack' look! Your friend certainly was thoughtful to make you that jazzy mask. I sewed a grey one for myself. Suits my 'plain Jane' leaning and ties behind my head so is adjustable and leaves my ears alone. Still getting used to smiles being covered though. I miss that human signal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence why am I not surprised you made your own--after seeing some of your projects on your own blog, you're one of the handiest people I know :) But yes, well said about the covered smiles though... I miss them too. PS. I thought of you when I wrote urban lumberjack, glad you liked that! :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.