Friday, May 29, 2020

Thinking out loud: Two neighbors and two men

Shortly after I moved into my new apartment in April 2017, I noted with dismay that I could hear my next door neighbor’s television, and quite loudly too.  What made it even worse, he wasn’t just watching tv---he played pretty violent videogames.  

Being the new kid on the block and not having a clue who lived next door, I put a Post-It on his front door, asking if he could move his tv or turn down the volume.  I never got a response.

A couple days later, a painter from our building’s management arrived to paint an accent wall in my apartment.  (I asked if I could do this and they offered to do it for me, free of charge).   As we’re talking while he’s painting, my neighbor’s videogaming started up.  The painter said “Whoa!  How often do ya hear that?”  I said nearly everyday, when he gets home from work around 4pm.  He said “Did you call management and complain?”  

I said “What good would that do?  In my last place, a gay couple moved in next to me and had giant fights and Beyonce sing-alongs at all hours of the night.  When I called management there, they said there was nothing they could do.”

The painter said “Listen, this place WILL do something.  Call and tell them.”  So I did. 

The videogames quieted down some, but it was still too much so I called again.  They stopped altogether.  A week or so later, I got a call from someone named Maria.  She said she was a friend of Ronnie—the name of the 38 year old man who lived next door.  She asked if I’d be interested in meeting her & Ronnie for lunch.  What the—??  I said no. 

A day or two later, I’m sitting here watching tv and there’s a knock at my door.  When I answered it, a very attractive woman (in a nice suit) held out her hand & said “Are you Doug?  Hi I’m Maria, your neighbor Ronnie’s friend.  Would you be willing to come over and talk for a couple minutes?”  I said “Are you his attorney?”  She laughed and said no, just a friend.  I said ok and followed her over.   Was this really necessary?

We went into Ronnie’s very busy apartment (stuffed to the gills with furniture) and I shook hands with a tall, stocky black man.  Maria explained that Ronnie was a custodian at the University of Pittsburgh, one of the nicest fellows you could meet, had moved in a few months before me and liked living here very much.

I said that sounded fine, but why was she telling me?   Maria said they’d been made aware of my two complaints, and if I had an issue with Ronnie in the future, could I please speak directly to him first.  I said sure & added I DID put a post-it on his door (which Ronnie insisted he never saw). 

I said “Can I ask why you’re making a big deal out of this?  A week or so after I moved in, my niece was here doing somersaults in my livingroom and the woman below called the office and complained; they reached out to me and couldn’t have been nicer.”

Maria said “After your second complaint they told Ronnie if they got one more call, he could be evicted.”  I said I was really sorry, were they getting a lot of complaints about him?  She said no, just mine.  Then why did they threaten to evict him?  Maria said “He’s a black man, that’s just how it is.” 

Ronnie and I don’t talk that often, but we’re friendly.  Last November his mother came to stay for a week from Georgia, and the two of us sat up one night for hours, talking politics & movies.  Ronnie drives me crazy in a different way now, he broils a LOT of steaks I can smell over here (something I’m unable to eat but boy do I miss!)  

But honestly, I couldn’t ask for a better neighbor.  I hope he feels the same about me.

I’ve been thinking about him lately, after the recent deaths of George Floyd & Ahmaud Arbery.  My God, these two men were murdered for being black.  In 2020.

In 2016, Will Smith said “Racism isn’t getting worse, it’s getting filmed.”   He was right.

17 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a sad post. It's very difficult being black. But, I hope that things will improve, as we did elect a black president twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi I just felt like I had to say something, we are in some pretty sad times right now. I appreciate your optimism though, I'm sure we'll spring back from this... like you said, we did it before. We will do it again.

      Delete
  2. Sadly there really is still a different set of rules based on skin color. I am so happy you and Ronnie are getting along now--well except for that steak thing:)) I got hungry just reading it.
    Will Smith said it all with that statement and thank goodness that these things are being filmed today. Now the rest of us can understand what has stayed hidden for too long. We must do better, we have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti, I always like your feedback. And yes, Ronnie sure knows how to eat, he makes me miss my thirties! Anyway, I sadly suspect more & more that you (and Will Smith) are right. It makes me shudder, wondering what's been happening to MANY people of color we didnt have a clue about. I hope this is the wake-up call we need.

      Delete
  3. It has been jaw-dropping. Like you said. In 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, and YES--2020. It is surreal just saying it.

      Delete
  4. So glad Ronnie's friend painted the bigger picture for you. Racism is simply disgusting and should never be tolerated! His mom sounds like a warm hearted person as well. Gosh, now I'm tasting those steaks! Like you, my menu no longer includes them. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Florence... and yes, I'm very glad Ronnie & his friend went to all that trouble to get thru to me. As for all his steaks (and boy does he cook a lot of 'em), did you give them up by choice? If it wasn't for my TMJ, I'd be gnawing on 'em too :)

      Delete
    2. As an attempt to lower my blood pressure and raise my energy levels, I experimented by going whole foods, plant-based. Since the start of this year, I have not touched meat, fish, dairy products or eggs. My blood pressure has come down, I've more energy, sleep better and feel more upbeat. It works for me and I really enjoy my current meals and snacks. Funny thing, Doug, the foods I now avoid were how my dairy/beef farming family made it's living.

      Delete
  5. That video was about as bad as it gets, not just the dickwad with the knee, but other officers doing nothing. Cell phones are shining a light on this kind of offense, things will get better, better happen soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you were able to meet Ronnie and talk things out, how awful to face eviction just because of skin colour.
    I have issues with a neighhbour who doesn't seem to know how to close a door quietly, she goes out her back door and the screen door slams, then she goes into the lobby door to visit another neigh our and the lobby door slams, then the reverse as she goes home, then it's back and forth for a few hours and always late at night. When I've had enough, I slam my own door and she says sorry but it doesn't make any difference so I gave up and just wear ear plugs to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River I'm so sorry but I know just how you feel--I have an elderly neighbor on my other side (our bedrooms are separated by a thin wall) and she watches tv all hours of the night--without my earphones in bed, I'd go bonkers. Ah, apartment living :)

      Delete
  7. This is an excellent and illuminating post, Doug. The Will Smith quote is so very accurate. I shudder to think of how common this abuse must have been before there were cell phones. Even now with it all on film, there are deniers. :( I'm glad that you and Ronnie worked things out. (the best kind of neighbors are polite, but not intrusive, in my opinion)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, thanks so much for taking the time to read this older post, and what you wrote. I so agree, I shudder too, wondering what these poor people had to endure for so long. But like you said, even with proof it still happens. I liked your definition of good neighbors too. Ronnie's a good one. :)

      Delete
  8. I always enjoy learning more about you, Doug, and your environment. I live in an apartment building where I've had my share of awful neighbors. The worst was a Hispanic guy who composed songs on his guitar and played it all day and all night long. I complained but nothing much happened until he moved away. And I once had a door slammer where the pictures fell off the walls frequently from the heavy slams. Right now I've got great neighbors and hope they don't move away any time soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, thanks very much for responding to this--I know you live in an apartment-type setting too (with some pretty spectacular wiews) but I've wondered if you ever had to deal with aggravating neighbors. In my last place, your guitar player & door slammer—yes! I truly believe one just needs the right mindset for this lifestyle. What you & I tolerate, I don’t think just anyone can. :^)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.