Sunday, September 13, 2020

Doing some catch-up and a couple other random items

Do you remember the Brady Bunch episode where Marcia got hit in the face with a football, moped around with a swollen nose for a week, then awoke one morning to discover her face had miraculously healed overnight?  

That’s sort of what happened to me yesterday; I awoke Saturday morning, looked over at my bedside clock, realized I was seeing it quite clearly—jumped up and ran into my bathroom to see my face—my pinkeye was gone.  As mysteriously as it arrived, it vanished.

Later on after cleaning up and turning on my laptop, I was greeted with an email from my friend Erin that included a close-up of her face:  “Doug, I have conjunctivitis!”  

Ah, the medical term for pinkeye.  Oh my goodness… hang in there Erin!

Around noon, my sister Shawn, niece Sophia & brother-in-law Jim drove up to the city to help me assemble my new exploding dining table.  (Well, I’d prefer it remain a dining table but after it’s predecessor blew up…) 

My new table is da bomb

Several people have asked why I bought the exact same table again, and this is how I see it:  in the movie The World According to Garp, Robin Williams & his wife are looking at a house for sale, only to see a plane crash into it.  Robin says “We’ll take it” and when his wife protests, he says “Honey, what are the odds a plane will fly into this house again??”  

See what I mean?  One dining table randomly blowing up in my apartment is uncommon, but two?  My logic is flawless.

Anyway, a big THANK YOU to my family for coming up here.  While Jim & I got started, my sister & niece walked up the street to Lincoln Bakery and bought us lemon cookies and individual tiramisus.  They were very tasty (and very expensive).

Shortly after they left and I went downstairs to get my mail, I ran into a couple of my favorite residents, Helen & Mary Bean who let me know they’re still waiting for their registration cards.  (I helped them register online to vote last Friday.)  They asked if I’ve seen Betty, no I haven’t.  (Betty is already registered to vote, but wanted my help securing a mail-in ballot for her fuhrer Donald Trump.)  

I have come to a decision though; I wouldn’t help Jesus Christ vote for Trump, let alone a 115 lb. hermit crab named Betty.  She never should’ve gloated who she was voting for—when I helped these other ladies, I didn’t ask and they didn’t offer.   Sorry Betty.  No way.

And finally, just wanted 3 of my favorite West Coast bloggers—Perry in California, Ronni in Oregon & DJan in Washington to know they are very much in my thoughts this weekend.  As these wildfires rage on and we see the plumes of smoke from outer space… my God.  Stay safe, guys.

16 comments:

  1. I wish I weighed 115 pounds!
    I don't like glass top tables, I really don't like looking at other people's laps and knees while I'm eating. Give me good solid wood any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! River I never thought of seeing people's laps & knees, I just prefer the glass because it makes the confining space feel a little more 'open'. But if this table explodes into a billion pieces like the first, I WILL go with wood :)

      Delete
  2. I join you in wishing our West Coast bloggers a safe week, and eventually some clear air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea Rom, us Pennsylvanians are pretty fortunate right now. I can't believe what I've been seeing on the news.

      Delete
  3. Glad your pink eye suddenly cleared up, Doug. I was hoping you were going to say your jaw pain had disappeared. Soon I hope. The U.S.A. fires in the west are horrific! In 2019 Canada had terrible wildfires in our west. Your new glass top table is perfect for that space. As you say, what are the odds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Florence--and wow I did not know about Canada having the same problem in it's west but it makes sense of course. Seriously scary stuff. Well I'm glad you're an Easterner like me :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the mention, friend. We slept last night with our usual open windows shut tight against the awful air. This morning is much better, the pollution has dropped into the Unhealthy region. AirNow.gov is a great place to check how your air quality is. Glad to hear the pinkeye is gone! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. And thank you for that Airnow link, I've been using it since seeing it on your page yesterday, I was a litle surprised last night when my zip code went from Good to Moderate for a couple hours. Definitely a good tool to have.

      Delete
  5. Like Florence I was hoping your jaw was healed but having the pink eye disappear was pretty special. Had to smile at your logic behind the second glass table. Hope it holds true. I mean really, what are the chances? :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti! The jaw IS healing, just very slowly... but that's kind of you (and Florence) to say that. As for my logic regarding this glass table... I hope I didn't talk myself into another roomful of glass! But if it happens again I am done with glass FOR GOOD.

      Delete
  6. Those lemon cookies sound good. Glad the pink eye is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi, I'm actually on a quest right now to bake the perfect lemon cookie and will be blogging about it soon! And thank you for the pinkeye thoughts. :)

      Delete
  7. I’m so happy your eye is better, Doug. It’s supposed to be highly contagious... as if we need something else to worry about. Those west coast fires are really scary.
    And thank you for your efforts in making sure our country can work toward being sane again because it’s a shambles right now with the current disgraceful administration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gosh, Kay thank you so much! This meant a lot to read, I know you've been busy with offline projects but it sure is nice to have you back. :)

      Delete
  8. Wish I could just Like one of your blog posts, so you know I've read and enjoyed it. Not always wanting to comment on every interesting or entertaining thing I read. So here I am——not for the first time. Hello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I often feel the same way--I know they have that 'like' function in Wordpress. I'll look into this. Until then, thanks very much & hi to you too! :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.