Friday, September 25, 2020

Practically perfect pizza, but this isn’t it (just keep reading)

The other night my sister Shawn emailed to congratulate me on my 400th blog post, and I thanked her but said I should’ve hit the 400 mark a long time ago. 

In fact, I told her I’d just deleted a blog I posted the night before, titled “One’s for Breakfast, one’s for Dinner, this Pizza Omelet is a Winner”.

(I sauteed red peppers, mushrooms & onions, added a handful of baby spinach leaves, and 2 beaten eggs and some milk. 

Once the omelet began to turn solid, I dropped in 6 “plops” of pizza sauce and sprinkled some shredded mozzarella cheese on top.)

My sister (who is honest to a fault—to a FAULT) said it looked strangely appetizing but gross at the same time.  

Well… it was okay in a droopy, eggy way, but nothing to shake a stick at.  And I have to admit, it certainly wasn’t pizza.  That’s why I deleted this blog after posting it.

I WANT PIZZA!  But that’s easier said than done with my jaw dysfunction; pizza crust is pretty much impossible. 

I’ve tried regular crust, thin & crispy, pan pizza, french bread pizza.  All of them are simply too dense for my jaw muscles.

And then I was sitting here an hour ago, wondering what to make for lunch.  I was pretty sure I wanted either a turkey lunchmeat wrap or a scrambled egg wrap (using a 10” flour tortilla, I go thru a pack of those a week) when it hit me—“Can you make a pizza with a flour tortilla?”

YES YOU CAN!  (Am I the last person on Earth who thought to try this??)

I placed a 10” flour tortilla on a foil-lined pizza pan and rubbed a little olive oil on top.  Sprinkled on some garlic powder, then spread on some pizza sauce, shredded cheese, mushrooms, onions, pepperoni.   Baked at 350F for 10 minutes.

THIS “PIZZA CRUST” IS PERFECT.  Crispy at the edges, EASY TO CHEW (but holds up under the toppings) and about as thin a pizza crust one can get.  I’m sorry for all the drama here, but I’ve been craving pizza for 2 years and I’m having ZERO trouble with this.  This tortilla pizza is the REAL DEAL.

Okay—back to eatin’!!

16 comments:

  1. Good for you ... where there's a will there's a way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Tom! You should give it a try, it's like all the goodness of pizza but you're hungry a couple hours later! :)

      Delete
  2. You are seriously a super awesome cook, Doug!!! The omelette looks delicious too and the pizza...yummm! You are definitely a concept cook like my husband. I go by recipes down to 1/100th of a teaspoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay thanks so much, you are too kind! And being compared to Art is a huge compliment, that just made my day! But I am no cook--that's why when something turns out edible, I feel compelled to share it here haha :) Seriously though, thank you :)

      Delete
  3. I love pizza and omelets, plus I usually eat salsa with my eggs, so I could see myself liking that combo. The tortilla pizza is an excellent adaptation. Not sure what your jaw issues are, but whatever works and tastes good is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret I have to try that (salsa with my eggs), thanks for that idea. As for my jaw, it's a long story but developed a disorder with it after undergoing oral intubation in Dec 2018. It can take years to recover (and for some, they never do). But yes that tortilla pizza is a winner :)

      Delete
  4. Hint: mix the garlic powder into the pizza sauce then spread it.
    I love pizza, but have too many missing and broken molars in my lower jaw, so chewing the crust is a bit tricky. I cut it up with knife and fork then put only small bites in my mouth. I don't think I've had a pizza since January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River I'm very sorry to hear of your own chewing issues, but yes I do the same--lots of cutting things up with a fork & knife, sandwiches included. You should try the tortilla pizza sometime, it was surprisingly painless :)

      Delete
  5. Kudos on the creative tortilla recipe, Doug. It just brought to mind my favourite pizza restaurant in Ottawa and how much my workmates and I used to love their 'all dressed' pizza and draft beer. I especially liked the anchovies. Heady days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Florence--hmm, this was interesting... your workdays. I'd be interested in hearing more of that one of these days! PS I've never tried anchovies! One more thing to add to my bucket list :)

      Delete
  6. That pizza looks great! I'm sure anybody would enjoy it, even a pizza lover like myself. I didn't know about your jaw problems, since I'm a recent follower. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan you're very kind, thank you! I know this wasn't exactly compelling reading, I just got a little overexcited yesterday. But honestly, for someone so health-minded like yourself, you'd probably very much enjoy this low-carb pizza :)

      Delete
  7. I am delighted you found something to solve your pizza cravings that is kind to your jaw. That you are an experimental cook makes you one of the best. Anyone can follow a recipe but you create. Actually while the end product of the omelette looked a little suspect, it has all the ingredients I love so I may try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, if I'm not paying you for these comments--I should! You are so kind, thank you! (The omelet wasn't exactly spectacular, but I'd eat it again.) Anyway, really--thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  8. Sounds great! and so simple to make. I should reconsider pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Gigi and yes it is low in carbs! I was honestly surprised :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.