Thursday, September 17, 2020

This Asian style chicken just got a little more special

Can I share something little but special?  Earlier today I went to the market to get some chicken, was at the checkout and said “Hey I was here on Monday, bought a bunch of stuff and a large bottle of soy sauce like this one.  But when I got home the bottle wasn’t in my bag.  Can you ask if someone found and turned it in?”

The store manager was nearby and said “We don’t have a lost & found for food items, but I won’t charge you for another one.”  He told the checker to bag this bottle without scanning it.

I said “Wait, you don’t have to do that.  I don’t have any proof I bought one.”

He said “Sir, I see you in here every week.  We’re happy to make it right.”

I never expected Kuhn’s to hand over another bottle solely on my say-so.  When I got home and saw some of my neighbors outside on the front stoop, I told them what happened—Liz vowed she wouldn’t shop anywhere else again, and Joel asserted Kuhn’s had higher prices then Guy Iggle (Giant Eagle) but was here 50 years for a reason.  Everyone nodded their heads in agreeement. 

Kuhn’s, you made me feel important today.  Thank you!

Anyway, I’ve been wanting to make some Asian chicken for awhile, but haven’t as my recipe calls for chicken breast which is too dense and chewy for my jaw.  So I thought I’d try it with boneless chicken thighs instead, and wow—I like it even better than before.

Doug’s Asian Style Chicken

1.  In a measuring cup add 1/3 cup hot water, 2 tablespoons ketchup, 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, 1/3 cup orange juice, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1 tsp minced garlic, a couple good shakes of crushed red pepper flakes, a good shake of black pepper.  

Whisk it all together and set aside.

2.  Chop up and brown 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts –OR- 3 boneless chicken thighs in oil (I used canola) for 7-10 minutes. 

3.  Pour in the sauce, cover & simmer on low heat an additional 15 minutes.

4.  Mix together 2 tablespoons corn starch with 2 tablespoons water.  Remove lid, pour in cornstarch mixture, stir for 3-4 minutes until sauce thickens and reduces.

(Ignore that smaller pot, that’s just my rice.)

5.  Spoon chicken atop a plate of hot rice, sprinkle sesame seeds or chopped green onions on top.  Can you tell I love green onions?


I think the next time I make this, I’m going to add some water chestnuts & carrot strips sometime after I stir in the sauce.  Anyway, this turned out just right!

20 comments:

  1. Snow pea pods would also go well.

    I'll bet if you found the bottle of soy at home you would return the "free" bottle to the store. The manager can tell an honest face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion and the kind comment Joe--honest to God I would return it!

      Delete
  2. I'd definitely shop there after that experience. That's wonderful! Your photo of your special recipe made me very hungry. And it's almost lunchtime here. sigh... Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I think. Double sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Thanks very much Kay--I know this isn't authentic Asian cuisine but it's very tasty. And for the record, I love peanut butter & jelly sandwiches :)

      Delete
  3. That was really neat what that store did. They sure didn't have to. Didn't know you were such an inventive cook Doug. That looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti I very much agree (about Kuhns Market), I think a lot of businesses could learn from them. They sure have my loyalty! And thank you for the kind words about that chicken, I saw a much hotter version of it years ago and played with the recipe to bring it down. It works :)

      Delete
  4. Smart public relations move on the part of Kuhns. That meal looks absolutely delicious! If I ever dismount from my 'whole foods, plant based' ride, I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence, agreed about Kuhns and thanks for the kind remarks about my chicken! Coming from a vegan like yourself, it is really appreciated. :)

      Delete
  5. Looks very tasty! I have chicken maybe once or twice a year, the rest of the time going vegetarian. I might have to try your recipe, which looks just right. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much DJan! Ok, given your healthy lifestyle I shouldn't have been surprised about your vegan diet, that's wonderful. I am honestly trying, in fact I just bought my first pack of "plant burgers" yesterday and will be having one for dinner. Anyway, thanks again DJan! :)

      Delete
  6. A good store like that is hard to find. You are blessed. That looks like an easy recipe that I could try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi, agreed on both counts! Kuhns has my loyalty, and I hope you do make this chicken--if you do, please let me know what you think. :)

      Delete
  7. That kind of service to customers encourages loyalty. My closest store is big, but most of the checkers know me, and would probably do the same thing. I love green onions too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your good custom is valued ApacheDug and the shop manager knows youre a good trustworthy customer. You've told us all about Kuhn's and their belief in you as their customer which makes you special and the store only too proud to serve your needs. This kind of thing is rare - long may it last!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks yummy, except for the chilli which I can't eat. I think water chestnuts would be a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River--but chili?? I'm not sure what you mean, it's just a saucy chicken...

      Delete
  10. The crushed red pepper flakes are usually chilli, here in Australia anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I don't blane ya, just a few ARE pretty harsh...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.