Wednesday, September 23, 2020

My 400th post! I feel like I should say some special words… but what?

I am suddenly at a loss for words.  I’m reminded of a Saturday night in November 2006, I was rambling on about family, the office & my love life—rather, the lack of one—to a couple of online friends who seemed to be enjoying it, when one (Ross) suggested I start a personal blog.  What in the world could someone like me possibly write about?

And now here I am on my 400th post and feeling that same way again. 

I remember when I did get started, I was going to try and leave news & politics out of things.  I didn’t want to look back in 10 years and see 50 posts of growls at Dick Cheney… Dick who?  Exactly!

I toyed with the idea of writing a humor blog, maybe I could become the next Garrison Keillor or Erma Bombeck.  Boo on that, I just wanted to be Doug Morris.

And now here I am, 14 years and 400 posts later, and to be honest I’m surprised it’s not a lot more.  Over the years there’s probably been fifty posts I started and didn’t finish, and some I DID finish but deleted before I talked myself into posting them.  Still, 400 is nothing to sneeze at. 

Gesundheit.  Sarcastic smile

So what do I write this 400th post about?  I was going to try & keep things lighthearted, then a friend sent me a recent NPR article where the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled against President Trump’s lawsuit to remove our states ballot dropoff boxes.  Oh and they’re also extending the deadline for mail-in ballots to be counted as the President of the United States and his Postmaster Crony DeJoy have CRIPPLED THE US MAIL.

Y’know, Trump and his merry band of traitors have done more damage to this country than Julius & Ethel Rosenberg—and those two got the electric chair!  (I would say we’re a more civilized people now, but one afternoon of Trump’s tweets will prove me wrong everytime.) 

Where was I?  Oh that’s right, 400th post!

That number has a special meaning to me, you know.  Waaaay back in the summer of 1970, when my family moved to the country, Dad announced that the three oldest—my brother Duke, me & our sister Shawn would begin getting weekly allowances.  (Duke would get $1.50, I’d get $1.00, Shawn 75 cents.)  

It was almost too good to be true, but Dad meant what he said and in June 1970 I began my comic book collecting in earnest.   The very first issue in said collection was Detective Comics No.400, hot off the newsstand.  It had a Neal Adams cover and was the most gorgeous thing I’d ever seen.

50 years and a thousand Batman comics later, and Detective #400 is STILL one of the best Batman covers ever printed

I’ve always found it curious that comics were priced at 10 cents throughout the 1930s, 40s, 50s… after 25 years, they jumped a total of 2 cents in the 1960s.  In all that time!

When I began collecting in 1970, they were 15 cents.  By 1985 they were 5 times that and I knew it was time to give ‘em up. 

(What people spend on them today… insane.  Let’s just say they’re no longer bought or even marketed towards kids.)

Oh shoot, I’m sorry.  How did I get on this subject?   400, 400…

Well, earlier this week I met with my therapist for the 400th time since my little painkiller incident on July 4.  (Alright, it hasn’t been 400 visits but it’s up there.)  Dr.G asked if I’ve been continuing my “social outreach” efforts, and I said yes and told him about the 4 residents here I’ve assisted in registering for the general election. 

(So far, 2 of them have gotten their cards!)

Dr. G said that was great, and I said oh wait—I haven’t told you about Betty, the 70 year old Trump supporter who delights in questioning my manhood everytime she sees me.  I told him I was thisclose to setting her apartment door on fire.  He said “For her barbs regarding your masculinity?”   I said “Yes of course—but she is a Trumper, so that will make it right.”

Dr. G chuckled and said “Well Doug I think it’s wonderful how politics has gotten you so engaged with people and current events.”  Excuse me, did the man not just hear me say I wanted to set someone’s door on fire?

(I’m just kidding, you know!)

When I casually asked which way he was leaning in the upcoming election, he only laughed and shook his head.  Fine Doc, it’s your business; but if I find out you’re one of them, I’ll have to introduce you to my friend Danielle.  She doesn’t like Trumpers either, and is a LOT more outspoken than myself!


18 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 400th post. Aloha from Hawaii, Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi! I'm glad I've gotten to know you :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats big time on 400 Doug. This was a fun post to commemorate the event. Your fun with your therapist was delightful. Can't believe he is one of "them" since he sees your humor so you should be OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks very much Patti--I'm glad you get me too. :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on reaching 400, Doug! I absolutely loved this post. I'm really feeling for a certain male relative of mine who I can't mention whose wife is a Trump supporter. He is absolutely frustrated, but has to keep the peace in the family. This IS a very divisive time. I can still hardly believe what you went through before with the pain killer incident. And Betty? Oh brother! I'm sorry but I'm glad you're not encouraging her to vote! Our country is at stake here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gosh, I am loving the feedback here today. Kay, thanks so much! I feel bad for your male relative, I often wonder how Kelly Ann Conway and HER husband hold their marriage together... I just can't see it. And thanks for putting my mind at ease for sharing what I did this summer about the painkiller incident. Your words meant a lot. :) And YES, I 100% believe our country and way of life is at huge stake here. This is going to be a tense couple months.

      Delete
  4. I recall 12-cent comics only because I remember my friend who thought he was a big shot took two comics off the rack. Then he flipped a quarter to the clerk and very importantly and seriously said, "Keep the change."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! He sounded like one pretty cool kid, Tom! Well, those 12 cent comics (considered Silver Age) were the BEST. When I was a kid I used to wish I'd come along 5-10 years sooner.

      Delete
  5. Great post for your 400th! I am new here and enjoy your humor and your view of politics. I used to buy 2 comics for a quarter when I was young. They cost more now? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, thank you so much! And haha yes, I think comics cost a little more now ;)

      Delete
  6. Wow, 400! I've lost track of how many posts I've done and I've only been at it for just over ten years.
    It's probably okay to hate Barb, but not okay to set her door on fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no Barb, only Betty--but I don't hate her, I was just kidding about setting her door on fire.

      Delete
  7. I just checked, I have 2887 posts, rather astounding for someone with little to say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's to another 400, Doug! Clink!!! (Imagine champagne filled glasses.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad I discovered you and your blog this year. I've enjoyed everything you write, and your ability to write posts that capture your world and your day is stellar. I also don't know how many I've written in ten years of blogging and am a little afraid to find out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, thanks so much—I can’t tell you how much your comments here mean to me, I’ve been a huge fan of ‘Eye On the Edge’ for awhile now, you’re a wonderful writer. (I would say in your case, it’s quality over quantity!) I didn’t realize I was at the 400 mark until a couple days ago when I was looking at Blogger’s new posts page (that we all love so much—ahem) and saw “399 Posts” at the top. Well, at least it gave me something to write about. :) Thanks again.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.