Thursday, September 10, 2020

Yesterday I woke up with pinkeye, today my dining table exploded. What’s next??

I feel like someone is trying to tell me something and I’m not hearing them.

I’M LISTENING, I’M LISTENING!

I awoke yesterday morning with my left eye swollen shut.  What happened while I was sleeping??  And why does this bad stuff keep happening? 

I know this hasn’t been an easy summer for many, but how many people can say they lost 65 pounds from lockjaw and wound up in a psych-ward for 5 days to boot?  And I’ll tell you something else that I wasn’t going to share on my blog—while in the hospital, I was infected with Covid-19 and wound up bedridden for 10 days. 

I didn’t write about it because all I’ve been doing for the last 2 years is sharing blocked intestine woes, kidney stones & TMJ, TMJ, TMJ.  I figured getting infected with Covid was Fate’s last jab at me before moving on to the next poor sucker.   (It was pretty rough too, I wound up wearing adult diapers for several days and dealt with breathing issues and chronic fatigue syndrome for 5-6 weeks.)

But I began getting better, and a couple weeks ago, things began looking up…

AND THEN I GET THE PINKEYE.  I can’t even see what I’m typing here!

And then today while I’m trying to pry my left eye open wide enough to read an email from my sister, who wanted to let me know she was feeling a little guilty this morning for not being more appreciative of how good her life is, my dining table exploded.

WHY DID MY TABLE BLOW UP??  I was sitting roughly 5-6 feet away on my couch when it happened.  It sounded like a small bomb had detonated, and I was pelted in the face & arms with pellets of tempered glass. 

For several moments, I couldn’t figure out what happened; did my ceiling cave in?  Did someone shoot one of my windows out?  It honestly took a minute or two to realize the windows were fine but my table was pulverized.

I later learned (courtesy of Google & my friend Danielle) that this “spontaneous implosion” of tempered glass tabletops is not common, but it does happen enough.

Well, at least Wayfair (where I bought my table 3-4 years ago) still has it in stock!  Let’s hope the second one’s a keeper.

AND PLEASE GOD, NO MORE BAD THINGS FOR AWHILE OKAY?


18 comments:

  1. Thanks very much Alie, and I'm sorry you went thru such a thing too, with the glass; I still don't understand that at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Doug, I know there must be 5 people out there feeling pretty good for you have taken on miseries what should have been theirs. Surely that wasn't meant for one person. I am so sorry you had Covid--that must have been rough and I hope you have regained your strength. Are you seeing a doctor about your eye?
    That exploding table was bizarre. Some how, I don't think I would give a similar one a chance. What if you had been sitting there?
    Do take care Doug. Surely a string of good things is waiting for you around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti! I really shouldn't have shared all this here, I guess when I wrote this last night I was trying to see it all with a little humor at least. I did see a doctor about the eye and yep you're probably right about ordering another one of these tables... I just figured it was too crazy to happen again :)

      Delete
  3. Dear Doug, as if your plate isn't full enough as it is. What a mess, hope someone helped you with the sweeping it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! Oh I just needed to vent a little but I cleaned it up myself! I think things are looking up :)

      Delete
  4. Very interesting, thanks Alie. I hope mine was a one-time thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy smoke, Doug!!! That is quite the list of tribulations! The Covid virus must have been horrid! Some people are much more affected than others. I wonder if you now have immunity. Sure hope it's a long spell of clear sailing for you now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence, thanks! Guess I just got a little fed up yesterday after my table exploded, but I really think things are going to be turning around now--for all of us :)

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry to read this, Doug. Oh my. If I were you, I would not buy another tempered glass table. Buy a wooden one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi! I know I probably should've done what you said, but I really liked that table. I'm just hoping the odds are against another one exploding. :) But if it does, the NEXT one will be wood :)

      Delete
  7. When my hubby got Covid, he had a fairly bad bout of it but didn't need to go to the hospital. But just after he started feeling better, he got shingles! I think when your immune system is stressed, these other things pop up. I sure hope you'll be fine now. That table? I can hardly believe it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, thanks very much and my gosh, poor SG! I remember you writing of both getting & recovering from covid, but shingles too?? Given what he's also recently gone thru... my heart goes out to him. Have you got vaccinated against Shingles? I just got my second Shingrix shot a week ago. As for the table... yes I am still in disbelief!

      Delete
  8. Damn Doug! Things have to get better from here...I sure hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joe! Thanks very much and good to hear from you :)

      Delete
  9. Holy smoke, what you’ve been through and I complain about the arthritis in my ankle and knee slowing me down.
    I’m glad my dining table is solid wood. Did you anticipate this by taking a “before” photo?
    Peter the MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Music Man--NO I did not anticipate my first table exploding, I just took the picture for an earlier blog a couple years ago... never knew such a thing was even possible! Anyway, I just got another glasstop replacement--wish me luck :)

      Delete
  10. Good gosh! I hope you let Wayfair know what happened. Sheesh! Unreal!
    And gee... That is really a bad case of inflammation. Isn’t conjunctivitis when the whites of your eyes turn red though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay yes my one eye was VERY red (under the swelling)--and I didn't tell Wayfair as the table was 3 1/2 years old, but you're right, maybe I should've... if THIS one blows, I will for sure.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.