Monday, July 25, 2022

Wayfair can be way suspicious, but business is business I way suppose

Unlike my last conversation-post with the fictional A&P Hotline, this one really did occur Saturday afternoon.

WF:  Thank you for calling Wayfair, my name is Carrie with a C.  Will you please confirm your identity by giving me your name, address & number you’re calling from?

ME:  Hi Carrie—by the way, I have a sister with that name.  Um, this is Douglas Morris, I live at blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda.

WF:  Great!  What can we do for you Douglas?

ME:  Well, I bought a chair from you guys a couple weeks ago.  It was damaged on its way here, so you sent a replacement.  I got the replacement in good condition, but it was a darker leather than what I expected so I asked to return it. 

I was told it would cost me $75 to have someone come pick it up, I said that was fine and the least I could do given the inconvenience to you guys.   Soooooo…..

WF:  I’m with you so far, keep going!  Was it picked up?

ME:  Yes, two men came last Friday to pick it up.  I wrapped it up in $20.00 worth of bubble-wrap.  But I’m still waiting for an update on my refund.  I don’t want to seem impatient, but I found a replacement chair on your website I wanted to buy. 

The thing is, it was out of stock, now it’s back.  I’m afraid it will go out of stock again if I wait too long.

WF:  And you need your refund first?

ME:  In a way—I need to know if you’re refunding my credit card or making me take store credit. 

I don’t want to buy the replacement chair now, only to get $900 in store credit a week from now.

WF:  Okay I totally get it!  Douglas will you stay on the line while I review all of this with my manager? 

ME:  Sure Carrie.  Hum de dum de dum….. 

8 MINUTES LATER…

WF:  Hi Douglas, it’s Carrie again!  My manager wanted to know—what was the date they picked up the leather chair?  Was it actually last Friday, the 15th?

ME:  Yes, around 3pm.  It’s been gone 8 days, you still don’t have it?

WF:  Well, my supervisor says it takes 2-4 weeks to return to the warehouse, then the order gets a formal return evaluation, then someone will notify you of it’s return, then we contact your credit card company if all looks good and you finally get your refund to your credit card issued a couple weeks after that.   So a credit card refund can take 4-6 weeks.

ME:  And what if I take store credit instead?

WF:  Then you’d get $900.00 added to your account within 48 hours.  Someone will call you when the store credit is in your account.

ME:  Wow—well, I AM pretty sure I’m going to buy that other chair, so I think I’ll go ahead with the store credit.

WF:  Great!  Douglas is there anything else I can help you with?

ME:  Nope I think I’m good.  

WF:  Oh Douglas I wanted to tell you—my first name may be Carrie, but my middle name is Lynn and I go by Lynn with family & friends.

ME:  That’s interesting, my sister Carrie’s middle name is Shawn and she goes by Shawn with her family & friends.  Alright, thanks Carrie—I mean Lynn—well, whatever you--

WF:  Oh Douglas, I was just notified your account update is complete.  You now have $900 in store credit.

ME:  I only had to wait a sentence?  Does this mean you guys located my returned chair after all?

WF:  Um… no.  But we believe you returned it!

ME:  Eye rolling smile

I was told that once the store credit is in my account, they can’t retract or reduce it.  Also, there’s no hurry to spend it, as there’s no expiration date.  (The second chair I’m getting is $350 less than the first, so I’m going to have a surplus.)

Carrie said after I buy another chair I can have the leftover amount transferred to my credit card if I want in no time at all.  Oh really… after I buy another chair.

I dunno, ten seconds for store credit vs 4-6 WEEKS to refund my money seems a little suspicious.  I suppose they’re just happy they’re still getting my money—well, two-thirds of it at least!

PS.  When I showed the replacement chair to my sister and asked if she liked it, she said she had heart-emojis in her eyes.  (You can tell she’s the mother of a teenager.)  When I showed it to my friend Danielle, she said “It doesn’t look comfortable—and I don’t trust Wayfair.  Buy a normal chair from La-Z-Boy!  They’ll send you swatches!”  

I don’t know what I’m doing yet!

30 comments:

  1. I look forward to hearing how the chair saga turns out. I just hope you get the one you want! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, where is the chair? I'd like to see it. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I included a photo of the chair I'm planning to get up above Gigi! I just haven't ordered it yet 🙂

      Delete
  3. Morning Doug, what a great conversation! I have never had any dealings with Wayfair. A friend ordered a rug from them, it never showed up so they sent a replacement. You can probably guess what happened, the first one showed up awhile later. They told her to keep both and do what she wanted with the second one. I believe she donated it. I hope your new chair is comfy and you enjoy it. I love Danielle’s comment!😆😆
    Have a good week Doug.❤️❤️
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin and interesting about the rug from there, a couple of years ago I bought a pair of curtains from Wayfair, they sent the wrong ones and told me not to bother sending them back. I miss the good old days when you went shopping in person! I'll let Danielle know someone liked her old school advice! 😄♥️

      Delete
  4. I haven't had much interaction with Wayfair, but did order a veg trug from them this past Spring. It was on sale and I wanted to use 2 Visa gift cards the kids had given us. The salesperson was very nice on the phone and used my gift cards to buy a Wayfair card and used that for the trug. It was delivered (huge) fine and in good condition. As for the new chair... if it's the one pictured, I'm not sure that looks comfortable... (not to me anyway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian I had to Google veg trug, I've never heard of that before! I'm glad it worked out for you, oh wait now I remember you talking about that on your own blog. Well the chair up above does look a little awkward, but it's gotten nothing but high praise for its comfort level. I just like it because it looks very modern.

      Delete
  5. Shady business practice indeed. Ps...i would never spend that kind of money on a chair without sitting in it first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby you're right about needing to sit in it first, I wish I could. But the type of chair I'm looking for just isn't sold locally.

      Delete
  6. That exchange seemed darn cheeky of Wayfair! Never bought anything from them myself. I thought of you today, Doug, when I was at Home Hardware, buying bags of cement. At the entrance was a very plush, black and red plaid camp chair. I sat in it and was IMMEDIATELY smitten with it's comfort! It came a-waltzing home with me. I'll include a photo of it in my next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Florence and wow, I can't wait to see it! 🙂👍

      Delete
  7. That was amazing how quickly you got store credit just on your saying you had returned the chair.
    I do hope you love the new chair. Doesn't look comfortable to me but it may wow you.
    She was certainly pleasant with you and kind of like how Carrie put you in her friends and family status with "Lynn". You obviously impressed her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti, this was encouraging and what I needed to hear. Btw, if you see this, Happy Belated Birthday! I sure hope your year ahead is a healthy and happy one! 🙂👍🎂

      Delete
    2. Yes I saw it and thank you so much for the Birthday wishes. Was a good one and have high hopes for the year. Thanks again.

      Delete
  8. I always wondered about wayfair. I priced a motion recliner and the Shipping was $357.00. Normal delivery is $150.00 so that is $207.00 more. Might be worth if it is a really deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds pretty crazy! I always assumed their shipping was low priced or free!

      Delete
  9. I'm going to have you do my returns from now. You're certainly going to a different looking replacement chair. It's very stylish. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you Kay. As for the chair, since I have a small apartment I just wanted something modern and different. The chair has gotten a lot of good reviews, but I'm open to suggestions! 🙂

      Delete
  10. Okay, that conversation seemed weird. Your new chair is dramatically different. Hope it doesn't arrive damaged, or you'll be doing the sing-song again. You'll need a footstool to go with that for your calves, or your coffee table. It kinda looks like a folded pillow in the webbed chair base. One good place for furniture is a store that rents furniture. They sell some that are used but in good condition. I got a very nice upholstered queen size sofa and mattress from CORT. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I always look forward to your comments. Well, you certainly described the chair perfectly. It is like a giant pillow on a web base chair. I never thought of looking at a furniture rental place, if I had one nearby I would just out of curiosity. Just looking for something modern and comfy and different! 🙂

      Delete
  11. All I've ever purchased from Wayfair is an area rug. There is a Wayfair near enough, but I didn't want to lug it up the stairs, so I ordered on line. They dumped it exactly where I would have done, to unroll it, and when I did remove the packing and do the job, it was all downhill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne when you said it was all downhill I hope you meant that in a positive way... 🤨

      Delete
  12. I like their products but have never ordered anything from them, to my knowledge. So, the chair hunt continues with some twists and turns. Hope this next one works out for you, Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret you just have to check the dimensions of their furniture before you order, if it's a good price it could be really small in scale. Anyway, thank you I just need to make a decision. 🙂

      Delete
  13. Is that McCrae chair your possible next purchase? Have you sat in one of those to see if they are comfortable? it looks UNcomfortable to me, but what do I know? I can't see myself getting out of one of those easily. I think you should get out to several shops and sit in dozens of chairs before deciding. Or even sit in every chair at the store where you have the credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it's supposed to be very comfortable--but not easy to get up from. I don't have a lot of furniture shopping options nearby (which is why I'm focusing online). I'm actually glad I don't have a lot to pick from, or I'd go nuts trying to decide. :^)

      Delete
  14. That chair looks OK. I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi, but to be honest I'm already leaning towards something a little more traditional with color. 🙂

      Delete
    2. We bought a couple of items from Wayfair when we redid our kitchen and bathroom a cpl of years ago. They worked out pretty well. Hope you end up with a good experience.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.