After the recent passing of Dolly Parton and my mentioning Dad was part of the country music scene in the early 1970s, I thought I'd share a little more of that here. After forming the Morris Brothers band in the 1960s with his brothers Mike & Shane, Dad struck out on his own and got a weekly gig performing as a singer and piano player on the WWVA Jamboree in Wheeling, West Virginia.
One of Dad's publicity photos
It was a very popular live audience radio show showcasing regional country music, but always billed someone famous. Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn, Jerry Lee Lewis, June Carter & Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynette, Charley Pride, Dolly Parton--the Jamboree had 'em all, and was considered second only to the Grand Ole Opry.
Mom with Charley Pride, after one of the shows at the Wheeling Jamboree
Those songs got played plenty on our own local AM/FM radio station in Waynesburg, WANB.
I remember as a kid, strangers often approaching myself or one of my siblings and saying "Aren't you Donovan Morris' kids? We're big fans!"
One time in sixth grade, the kids were invited to bring in their favorite records for an afternoon party. The girls brought in Donny Osmond, the Carpenters and Partridge Family, and one boy (Audie M) brought in my dad's 45. I was so proud of my old man.
Anyway, Dad spent a couple years on the Jamboree then reteamed with his brother Mike and played music for the rest of the 70's as Donovan & Mike Morris and The Country Rockers. But those early years were some heady times for sure. You can listen to my dad's 2 "hit songs" below.

.jpg)

Doug, what a great post! Very interesting! I just thoroughly enjoy getting to "know" friends (and other people) and learning about their lives. Seems like everyone has at least one thing in their lives that may not be all that "special" to them but to me, and others, IT IS. I realize that we, your readers, only know a small part of you but, wow, this is something unique and special. Thank you for sharing. And, by the way, I'm not a huge country music fan but I do enjoy much of the older classic stuff from the 1950s through the 1970s. Your dad was good. Now, what other interesting secrets do you have?? 😄
ReplyDeleteDon, thanks so much--you are always funny & kind. And I feel the same way you do towards country music--growing up, wasn't a big fan. But now I greatly enjoy George Jones, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn... does Glenn Campbell count? Like him too. Anyway, thanks again for the nice words my friend. 😄
DeleteWhat a life your parents lead! I'm not a country-western fan, but the performers were always bigger than life. Your parents seemed to fit right in. I'm surprised you and your siblings weren't brought into the "family business" as that seemed to be a "thing" back then.
ReplyDeleteThanks dkzody, my dad was pretty much a solo act (though my sisters Carrie Shawn played piano like Dad and Donda-Lin sang like him). Our dad made his real bread & butter doing coal mine construction for Williamson Shaft.
DeleteHello Doug I have deep roots in in Greene County like you. I live in N.Carolina now but my heart is still back home. I saw your daddy perform at the Fair and paid 2 dollars for his record and a photo and he signed it for me. Its been a long time since I heard his recordings, he sounds even better than I remember. Your bong is so big I am going to read every article! You have a new fan! Rose
ReplyDeleteHi Rose Faye, thanks very much for your comment--it's so nice hearing from someone back home who knew my dad! The older I get, the better he sounds to me too. Can I ask how you found my blog? I hope you don't try reading all of it or you'll get sick of me! 😄 Thanks again RF
DeleteWow Doug! Your dad was very talented! You must have has such an interesting childhood, being exposed to this music scene. You’ve told me a little about your dad’s career but I really had no idea he was so accomplished! Loved both songs but Up the Street is the front runner for me! Kimba🌻
ReplyDeleteKimba you are so sweet and just made my day! Thanks so much, you're a dear friend! 😄
DeleteMy mom may have crossed paths and seen or heard your dad somewhere. She had a boyfriend who played in a local country band in the '60s and '70s, they played mostly local clubs in the central PA/MD area but she traveled a wide area to see country stars. Did your dad ever play at Williams Grove (PA)? She went there often (and many times dragged me along---I am NOT a country fan, though I did have a crush on Conway Twitty when I was 11 or 12, ha!) I know she and my stepdad visited the Wheeling Jamboree frequently in the mid to late '70s and beyond, but I can't remember if she went earlier but I think there's a good chance she did. This was a great read. Sounds like your dad was very accomplished!
ReplyDeleteBobi right back at ya, this was a great read as well! I don't know if Dad played at Williams Grove but he went EVERYWHERE in Pa & WV, so I don't doubt it for a minute! Haha about Conway Twitty (hey I liked that guy a lot) and so cool about your folks going to the Jamboree! Thanks Bobi! 😄
DeleteYour father was a talented performer! Your parents were very busy, your Dad with his employment and musical career, and your mom managing kids and home.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Kimba, Up the Street was my favorite of the two.
Thanks very much Maebeme! For the record, Mom had a full time job too and my sister Shawn & I had a lot of responsibilities looking after our younger sibs then. But I loved every minute of it and would give anything to go back and do it again. 😄
DeleteWow! Dug, interesting post. Sounds like your family was definitely part of the music scene back then. I have been a country music fan (although country music has changed a lot over the years) my whole life. Was never a big rock and roll fan (although I did like Elvis). Do you sing? Play the guitar or piano? All in all, it sounds like you had a wonderful family growing up. And not to change the subject, but how's the long covid this week? (I was just told by the nurse at my doctor's office that they're beginning to see people this past week testing positive for covid).
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Rian! To be honest I wasn't a big country fan until my thirties, and only listen to the classic artists now. As for musical instruments I played a trumpet in band but that's all. No talent in the music dept! As for the long covid, thank you for asking--still dealing with a lot of burning and inflammation, but I'm starting a new drug therapy, low dose naltrexone in a couple days. I need a miracle. 🧡
DeleteWell, then we'll ask for a miracle! It never hurts to ask...
ReplyDeleteI read up on naltrexone for use with long covid and it says it 's possible to reduce inflammation and brain fog, etc. Will be praying that it works for you!
Thank you Rian, you're a dear friend. I plan to start with micro-dosing, so it might take a couple months. But even a little help would mean a lot. I hope your eye is behaving itself. 💛
DeleteIt's interesting how much resemblance there is between you and your dad (based on pictures of course). Thank you for sharing this piece of family history! Hope your new meds are effective, even if not right away.
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Ceci
Couldn't have gotten a nicer comment. Thank you Ceci, you're very kind.
DeleteI remember that you shared some of your dad's recordings previously! Those had to be such fun times for your family. He was very talented and I am sure he was so proud to be featured in the newspaper article. And to have a classmate bring his record to school!! How cool!!!
ReplyDeleteI hope the new drug can offer you some relief. Covid is a miserable disease. My co-mother-in-law took a day trip to Amish country in Ohio with her sister this past spring and they both came home with Covid. She has lost her senses of smell and taste and it is so frustrating for her. She is trying that taste therapy but nothing so far.
Miss Merry, you're very kind I always enjoy and appreciate your feedback so much. I think the older I get, the more I realize how talented my dad was. I can't believe he's been gone 25 years. As for the covid, thank you and God I am so sorry for your in-laws loss, that's a big thing in itself. This has wrecked or taken so many lives.😔
DeleteGreat post, Doug. What a talented dad you had. I liked both songs a lot; they're very much like the old timey country songs we used to listen to when I was a kid by artists such as Hank Williams and Kitty Wells. Thanks for sharing, my friend.
ReplyDeleteSteve from Toronto
Thank you Steve, I was hoping to hear from you. You're very kind (as always) and it's much appreciated. And I love me some Kitty Wells! I have to say it, you're a good guy. :^)
DeleteWow, this is so interesting! I enjoyed reading about your dad. Thanks for sharing him with us.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jennifer! I can't believe he's been gone since Feb 2001, over 25 years ago. When the world was a more sane place.
DeleteThat was so interesting about your dad! You might think you lead a quiet life but everything you write is interesting.
ReplyDeleteJackie, I do lead a pretty quiet life but this was so nice what you said... big thank you ☺️👍
DeleteEven my rather extensive musical knowledge didn’t extend as far as knowing about your father and his brothers.
ReplyDeleteYou were lucky having a musical dad; neither oof my parents could hold a tune and I’m not much better.
The A.M. hasn’t heard those tracks yet but I know what she’d say: They’re country music because they have a talkie bit in the middle. That’s her criterion for a country song.
"oof"?
DeleteHaha thank you Peter, I was hoping to hear from the Music Man. Well, I'm sorry to say I never had the music in me but I did have 2 sisters who took after my dad in a big way with the piano and singing. And I like what you said about the AM and "talkie bits", yep I would be inclined to agree. :^)
DeleteWow. That is so neat, Doug. What made your dad leave the Jamboree?
ReplyDeleteThanks Debby, I think it was a matter of money. He and my Uncle Mike did pretty well with their club gigs.
DeleteGigi Hawaii. Nice singing! Through your dad, you got your taste of fame. Those were fun times. Memories, Doug…
ReplyDeleteThank you Gigi. Hope you and David are well. 🙂
DeleteI'm very impressed, Doug! I didn't realize that your dad was so well-known. It was fascinating to read about him. Are you musical yourself?
ReplyDeleteThank you Margaret! I think my sisters got all of our dad's musical talent, but he liked to draw too and so have I as long as I can remember.
Delete