Saturday, August 19, 2023

The lobster roll & the take-charge guy (who isn’t really a take-charge guy)

A couple days ago, the senior center had an outing scheduled for Redfin Blues, a seafood restaurant on the waterfront, on the North Shore.  We were told to show up at the center early, as a lot of people were going and there’d probably be two shuttles.

I looked at the online menu the night before, and noted something at the bottom:  “No separate checks will be written for groups of 10 or more people, the total will be divided equally on debit/credit cards used for payment.  NO EXCEPTIONS.”

When I got to the center and asked how many were going, they said around 20.  I told them what it said on the menu about groups of 10 or more, and several people spoke right up, saying that wouldn’t do.  The center said “No worries, you’ll get separate checks!”

Nope!  More on that later.

I rode on the second shuttle (you didn’t get to choose) and sat in the far back.  A tall black woman (Janet) sat across the aisle from me and shouted “We got ourselves a man on here!  We got ourselves a man!”

Midway there, one of the ladies in the front said “Who wants to hear a dirty joke?”  A chorus of women’s voices shouted yes, and the first woman said “Lorena Bobbitt remarried and decided to chop off her second’s husband doodle too.  But she missed and only cut his thigh.  So instead of being charged with a felony, what was she charged with?  A miss-da-weiner.  Get it?  Not a misdemeanor, a miss-da-weiner!”   The women on the shuttle cackled with laughter, and Janet shouted “I don’t think Mister Man liked that!  Did you think that was funny Mister Man?”  

I wondered how things were on that first shuttle.

When we got there, we formed a long line outside and a young man & woman (both with ponytails) asked how many.  When someone in our group said 17, they told us they had a firm “one check only” rule.  A couple of the ladies in line said “Oh no…”  so I said “No no—NO.  We five in the back are a separate table.”

The young man said “Okay, but that still leaves a dozen.”  I said “The 5 women IN FRONT of us are a separate table too.  Don’t move any tables together.”   

After we were seated, one of the ladies (Elaine, who I really like) said “Doug, thank you for being our take-charge guy!”  I told her she was welcome, but I wondered why no one else spoke up?  A few minutes later my friend Pearl came over and said “I wanted to sit with Elaine, but you have me at that table with 7 people!” 

I told Pearl she was free to move to any table she wanted, hasn’t she done this before?  She said “Yes but you’re the take-charge guy.”   No—I wasn’t!

Anyway, a few more pictures; here’s the main dining area, right on the river.

Some of the diners arrived by boat.  I left my private yacht at home.

My lunch, a lobster roll & fries.  After taking a bite, I guess I made a face (it was fishier than expected) because my friend Eva said “You should only order those in Maine.”  It was alright!

“Doug, are you still hungry?  I can’t eat this fish and don’t want to take it home, I have a half reuben waiting for me!”   (Thanks Eva, I do love beer-battered cod!)
And finally, my friend Pearl (on the left in the red dress) and Elaine go for a walk on the bicycle path after our meal.  I really do like that Elaine, I hope we see her again.

Next week we’re going to the Oakmont Bakery & Cafe, I was told it’s the cleanest place to eat in the city and to bring my sweet tooth.  But on September 23rd the center is taking a road trip to someplace REALLY special.  I can’t wait to share it.

36 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as I did reading about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--thanks DJan, you're very kind. I did. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  2. As a person who used to organize groups of 4H kids and groups of other friends/adults, I am appalled that the person in charge of senior center trips did not read the fine print and make arrangements for bills. That is not cool. Thank you for stepping up and doing their job. Sounds like an interesting bunch, LOL. Glad it all worked out and you found some people to hang with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss Merry! Maybe the folks at the center did, and the host wasn't told or something. But it all worked out in the end, the wait staff there was very very nice too. πŸ‘

      Delete
  3. What a fun outing! I am delighted that you are enjoying your Senior Center. I thought you would. And I thoroughly enjoy reading about your escapades there. Tell us more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Don! 😊 I sure wish you lived closer and went to mine!

      Delete
  4. That is the strangest rule I have ever heard! I would avoid a restaurant like that, especially if I was arranging group trips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, I agree! We had some people ordering a couple frozen drinks first, another woman ordered two entrees, wanted to take home one with her, another person just wanted a side salad and water- - and they honestly expected us to pay even amounts on our cards? Nope, no group here!

      Delete
  5. Well done, breaking the group up into smaller tables. That's a dumb rule and likely costs the restaurant some business. It would work in the case of some excursions I've done where, because of the size of the group, we've been limited to one or two entrees. I'm sure much of the food was prepared prior to our arrival, but where all can order as they please, it makes no sense.
    Looking forward to reading about your next adventures with the group.
    P.S. the joke wasn't funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme, yes I know group dining can be a hassle, but they must be pretty successful if they're going to impose such rules. As for the joke, I just rolled my eyes, it was more corny than anything. :^)

      Delete
  6. That sounded like an interesting and fun outing, Dug. Breaking up into smaller groups was definitely a good idea. And the bakery/cafe trip sounds great! Glad you are getting out there and enjoying yourself. DH and I joined our Senior Center, but so far all we do is go over there to walk since it's too hot to walk outside (108 F yesterday).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rian, and thanks for sharing--I wondered if you & DH were still going since joining your own recently. 108F yesterday--unreal!

      Delete
  7. Ha ha. You're gonna have to do some research and come up with jokes to tell people on these outings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, not me! I like to sit quietly in the background :^)

      Delete
  8. The restaurant and setting looks great. I was told by my state of Maine relatives, Lobster is best when caught during a month that carries the letter "R." Other months, lobsters are shedding their shells and not the best, ok but not the best. Good job getting separate bills where everybody pays their individual share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! As for that lobster roll... I thought it'd be sweeter with a creamy garlic aioli. It had NO dressing (I probably should've said something!)

      Delete
  9. I love that you're doing all these excursions and enjoying them; they also make great blog fodder! I don't like lobster to start with although that cod fish and chips looks delish! I'm a big fan of eating by the water as you already know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, you're very kind. I just wish my "waterfront dining" was as scenic as your waterfront dining :^) But for Pittsburgh, it's not so bad!

      Delete
  10. Great job saving your group from unfair checks! I seethe when faced with a situation where I am forced to pay for someone else's food and drinks. I'll gladly pay the bill if I invite someone but if a dining companion orders drinks, apps and dessert while I drink water and order a sandwich, it makes my blood boil when they say, let's split the check. Unless everyone eats the exact same thing, it's inherently unfair and being a non-drinker, I got burned a few times before I got the nerve to say no to some friends. Maybe the restaurant is just trying to discourage large groups. Imposing such a harsh rule seems counterintuitive to being customer centric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobi! Yes the "amount charged evenly split" was pretty bogus--just like you said, some people order drinks or appetizers, some of these older people just wanted something small... my friend Pearl says "We wouldn't have let them get away with it, but at least you nipped it early" haha--it was easy enough to just sit at separate tables :^)

      Delete
  11. Hi Doug, thanks for sharing your recent excursion. Looks like a nice time. What a crazy rule for tables of ten! Not fair at all. Like Bobi I have had to pay a heck of a lot more when friends said “Let’s just split the cheque”. I never order drinks or apps either. Looking forward to your other adventures!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin, I don't want to sound like a cheapskate but I am NOT paying for other people's stuff--my friend Pearl's meal (garlic lime shrimp on skewers) was twice the amount of my sandwich. I didn't get any of her shrimp either, haha :^) Thanks again my friend and PS. "Cheque" is Canadian cool :^)

      Delete
    2. Cheque is also English and Australian.

      Delete
    3. Cool, I think America should join in. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  12. Terrific! Reminds me of Liko's in Hawaii, but yours is better. I love fish and chips, too. Looking forward to more of your outings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi, but my "food outing" doesn't compare to any of yours and you know it-- yours are tasty and professional, I'll try harder!

      Delete
  13. The center is turning out to be a real resource to you, and you are certainly also making your contribution as a participant. I agree about lobster rolls - Maine only, and right at the place where the boats come in. The battered cod looks great though. Your posts make me want to visit PA.

    Ce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ce! I wish I knew that about lobster rolls, but I do now :^) The battered cod was really delicious though, and very nice what you said about visiting Pa. :^)

      Delete
  14. "I left my private yacht at home" you are so funny! Is it possible the lobster was canned or thawed from frozen? It looks delicious anyway, as does the fried cod. I'm glad you took charge but hope you don't have to do that every outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you River! And between you and me, I wondered that about the lobster too. It was all good though, but I'm sure our fried cod doesn't compare to the golden stuff where you are.

      Delete
  15. Good idea on breaking up the group! Our senior group is small so we don’t do many Outings. We had some drama last Friday with one lady shouting at another, and playing two bingo cards ( and winning 3 out of 4 games). We are having a “ senior prom” next month which I am dreading as much as I did in high school, lol. Joyce


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--Joyce I don't mean to laugh but you gave me a real chuckle here. Thank you for sharing, and I hope we hear more about this prom! πŸ™‚

      Delete
  16. I love lobster from the Mon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What the--I know they stock it with trout, it has bass & catfish but lobster?!! I hope mine didn't come from there, haha :^)

      Delete
  17. Had a lobster roll in Boston. It was gross with way too much mayo; a total ruin of lovely lobster. Glad you're getting out and about. Sounds like fun, even when you didn't know you could take your boat to the restaurant. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda that's what mine was missing! I wanted the mayo, dammit! Anyway thank you for your kind words here, your feedback is always appreciated even when you're torturing me. πŸ˜„

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.